Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 7:36:22 AM EDT
If having your head up your ass can be called rectal cranial inversion and somehow it sounds less offensive, how come our beloved gun manufacturers haven't come up with a PC replacement for "semi automatic?"  

The word is synonymous with [red]MACHINE GUNS[/red], so why not sanitize it for the public?  It may sound trivial to you, but for John/Jane Q Public, I think it would make a difference.  

Take a look at this load of festering story and AW Ban Poll:
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/14/bush.gunban/index.html[/url]

Now tell me that we couldn't benefit from a more PC adjective for our guns?

Its a small step, but maybe a necessary one in sanitizing our guns for the public.  Take a look at the DUmb shit posted by the liberals, who have NO CLUE what the hell a semi auto is:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186521&w=myTopicPop[/url]

What do you guys think?  And please, don't type some dumb shit about not WANTING to be PC, because this is about keeping our guns and maybe picking up some cool new features (fs/bayolug/collapsable stock) because of the general ignorance of the public.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
SEQUENTIAL FIRE?

Uhmm, I don't know; sounds kind of threatening.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Sequential Loading Projectile Delivery Solutions Provider?

High Velocity Cartridge Human/Machine Interface?

Remote Controlled Cuisanart Injector?

Bad Government Medicine?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so sequential fire sounds dangerous, how about sequential loading, repeating action, gas operated, rapid child mower or whatnot?  All I'm saying is that we need a name change to pull people on board with us, am I nuts once again to think people will be able to distinguish between the old and new name?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
How about "SCREW YOU, ASSHOLE!"
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
How about "single trigger pull" firearms?  A single pull of the trigger makes it fire one or more times.z
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Classy.  Looks like you're seeing the bigger issue, right? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Auto Loading?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the British term, "self-loading rifle."  The SLR in brit parlance means the FAL, but I like the vanilla sound of it.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not YOU of course.  C'mon.  Don't take your thread so seriously.  There is no way in hell an anti is going to adopt a pink fuzzy name for somthing they are trying to demonize.

Besides, I just call 'em rifles!  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have to agree with the old military term... 'Self Loading Rifle'

But 'Self Operating Rifle' or 'Gas Operated Rifle' works well, too..

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not use the term "self operating rifle," that implies the rifle can do it's own thing, and we've been talking for years about how it's the cretin behind the trigger that makes the difference.

I like the "gas operated rifle", even though it's technically not all-inclusive (don't forget the recoil-operated rifles out there).  Gas Operated Rifles is a simple mechanical description, has no  bias towards death and destruction like "self-loading" or "self-operating."

The only thing wrong with gas-operated rifle is the acronym--GOR--which I'm sure the antis would LOVE.

How about reciprocating action firearms? (Websters:  reciprocating:  moving back and forth)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not YOU of course.  C'mon.  Don't take your thread so seriously.  There is no way in hell an anti is going to adopt a pink fuzzy name for somthing they are trying to demonize.

Besides, I just call 'em rifles!  [:)]
View Quote

Sorry, thought you were saying something else about my PC thread!  

However, if the anti's don't really understand the issue, why not force feed the new words to them?  That way when Bushmaster's literature is cited in an article, or a reporter uses the BM site to write his article, he'll use OUR words, rather than semi auto or whatnot.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
rapid child mower or whatnot?
View Quote

[ROFL][ROFL2]
Somehow I don't think it will gain support lol
"So, Dale, you gettin that new RCM?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top