User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 10:44:26 AM EDT
Here it is, from the horse's patoot:

[size=6]1) they have light triggers
2) you can spray fire them
3) you can hold them with two hands
4) and you don't really need to aim[/size=6]

I can't even begin to guess what this lady is smoking.

Here's the whole story:

S. 1034. A bill to repeal the sunset date on the assault weapons ban, to ban the importation of large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and for other purposes; to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Mrs. FEINSTEIN. Mr. President, I rise today to introduce legislation with Senators CHUCK SCHUMER, LINCOLN CHAFEE, BARBARA BOXER, DICK DURBIN, JACK REED, FRANK LAUTENBERG, JIM JEFFORDS, and EDWARD KENNEDY that would permanently reauthorize the assault weapons ban and close the clip-importation loophole.

Military-style assault weapons simply have no place on America's streets. But if Congress fails to act, the current ban will expire next year. This would be a terrible mistake.

This is why Congress must reauthorize the ban and close the high-capacity

[Page: S5972]
clip importation loophole so that we can help keep America's streets safe from the violence produced by assault weapons.
  Almost 10 years ago on July 1, 1993 Gian Luigi Ferri walked into 101 California Street in San Francisco carrying two high-capacity TEC-9 assault pistols.

Within minutes, he had murdered eight people, and six others were wounded. This tragedy shook San Francisco and the entire nation.

We saw with absolute clarity the destruction that could be inflicted with these military-style assault weapons.

Navegar's advertising for the TEC-9 touted the gun as being for `paramilitary' use and `resistant to fingerprints,' with a `military non-glare finish,' a `military blowback system,' and `combat-type' sights.

Guns like these are the weapons of choice to commit crimes. They are the weapons of choice for drive-by shooters, criminals going into a major criminal event, and malcontents who are seeking to do the maximum damage possible in the shortest amount of time.

[red]   That's what makes them so dangerous because they have light triggers, you can spray fire them, you can hold them with two hands, and you don't really need to aim. [/red]

They are not weapons of choice for hunting or defensive purposes.

In the aftermath of 101 California and countless other shootings, I decided to do something that no one had succeeded in doing before: to ban the manufacture and importation of military style assault weapons.

I authored the bill in the Senate, and Senator Schumer authored it in the House of Representatives.

I remember all the late night calls I got and all the friends who took me aside and said to me: ``Don't do it. The gunners are too powerful. You'll never ever win.''

Well, we did win. We passed the first-ever ban on assault weapons, and since September 13, 1994, it has been illegal to manufacture and import military-style assault weapons.

The hope of the bill has been to drive down the supply of these weapons and make them more expensive to obtain.

And in the years following the enactment of the ban, crimes using assault weapons were reduced dramatically.

In 1993, assault weapons accounted for 8.2 percent of all guns used in crimes; By the end of 1995, that proportion had fallen to 4.3 percent--a dramatic drop; and by November 1996, the last date for which statistics are available, the proportion had fallen to 3.2 percent.

These are dramatic results, which show that the Assault Weapons ban has worked. We have had trouble getting updated statistics from this Justice Department, but it is clear that after we banned these guns, criminals used them less frequently in crime.

Unfortunately, to get the bill passed in 1994, we had to agree to a ten-year sunset in the bill--and this is why we are here today. If we do not re-authorize the 1994 assault weapons ban this Congress, it will expire on September 13, 2004.

That means that at the end of next year, manufacturers could once again begin making AK-47s, TEC-9s, and other banned guns that have but one purpose--to kill other human beings.

We are here today because we believe that this would be a terrible mistake--with deadly consequences for thousands of Americans each year.

So today we will introduce legislation to do two simple things. First, the legislation would reauthorize the 1994 assault weapons ban by striking the sunset date from the original law. This would ban the manufacture of 19 types of common military style assault weapons--for all time.

It would ban an additional group of these assault weapons that have been banned by characteristic for 8 years.

It would protect some 670 hunting and other recreational rifles for use by law-abiding citizens.

And it would preserve the right of police officers and other law enforcement officials to use and obtain newly manufactured semi-automatic assault weapons--helping to prevent instances when law enforcement agents are outgunned by perpetrators.

We certainly would like a stronger bill that would tighten the ban--based on our 10 years of experience of what the gun companies have done to get around the bill.

But unfortunately there is not the support for that right now. If the support becomes evident, then we may amend the bill at a later date.

Second, the legislation would close a loophole in the 1994 law, which prohibits the domestic manufacture of high-capacity ammunition magazines, but allows foreign companies to continue sending them to this country by the millions.

A measure that would have closed this loophole passed the House and Senate in 1999 by wide margins, but got bottled up in a larger conference due to an unrelated provision.

The result: the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has approved the importation of almost 50 million high capacity ammunition magazines from some 50 countries since 1994.

It is these large clips, drums, and strips that allow lone gunmen, or small groups of teenagers, to inflict so much damage in such a small amount of time.

We must close this loophole now.

The good news: President Bush has indicated that he supports each of these provisions. During the 2000 Presidential Campaign, President Bush indicated that he supported both reauthorization of the assault weapons ban and closing the clip importation loophole.

And just a few weeks ago, President Bush's spokesman Scott McClellan reiterated his support for reauthorizing the ban when he said: ``The President supports the current law, and he supports reauthorization of the current law.''

It is therefore our hope that the President will work with us to see this bill passed. We welcome the President's support and look forward to working with him to gain swift passage of this legislation.

One of the best examples of the damage that assault weapons can inflict is the massacre in Littleton, Colorado.

On April 24, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold used a TEC DC-9 semi-automatic pistol to attack the students and teachers of Columbine High School.

They used this weapon to take the lives of 13 innocents, 12 students and 1 teacher, and injured dozens more mothers, fathers, sons and daughters.

I do not believe that the 2nd Amendment protects military assault weapons. The Constitution is not an umbrella for mayhem. The Bill of Rights is not a guarantor of violence.

Congress has passed this legislation once--it is time to pass the assault weapons ban again.

I ask unanimous consent that the text of the bill be printed in the RECORD.

There being no objection, the bill was ordered to be printed in the RECORD, as follows:

[i][red]Bill text to follow[/red][/i]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
In case anyone's actually paying attention:

[url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.1034:]Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2003[/url] (Introduced in Senate)

S 1034 IS

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 1034
To repeal the sunset date on the assault weapons ban, to ban the importation of large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 8, 2003
Mrs. FEINSTEIN (for herself, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. CHAFEE, Mr. JEFFORDS, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. DURBIN, Mr. LAUTENBERG, Mrs. BOXER, and Mr. REED) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To repeal the sunset date on the assault weapons ban, to ban the importation of large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF SUNSET DATE.

Section 110105 of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act (18 U.S.C. 921 note) is amended to read as follows:

`SEC. 110105. EFFECTIVE DATE.

`This subtitle and the amendments made by this subtitle shall take effect on September 13, 1994.'.

SEC. 3. BAN ON IMPORTING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 922(w) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2)' and inserting `(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B)';

(2) in paragraph (2), by striking `(2) Paragraph (1)' and inserting `(B) Subparagraph (A)';

(3) by inserting before paragraph (3) the following:

`(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to import a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'; and

(4) in paragraph (4)--

(A) by striking `(1)' each place it appears and inserting `(1)(A)'; and

(B) by striking `(2)' and inserting `(1)(B)'.

(b) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 921(a)(31) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994'.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Guns like these are the weapons of choice to commit crimes. They are the weapons of choice for drive-by shooters, criminals going into a major criminal event,
View Quote

Joe GangBanger "[i]LET'S SEE, I'M ATTENDING A MAJOR CRIMINAL EVENT TONIGHT....WHAT ASSAULT WEAPON MATCHES MY SHOES?[/I]"
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guns like these are the weapons of choice to commit crimes. They are the weapons of choice for drive-by shooters, criminals going into a major criminal event,
View Quote

Joe GangBanger "[i]LET'S SEE, I'M ATTENDING A MAJOR CRIMINAL EVENT TONIGHT....WHAT ASSAULT WEAPON MATCHES MY SHOES?[/I]"
View Quote

LOL! Reminds me of the movie "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood". There's a scene where Shawn Wayans is asking whether he'll look better with an Uzi and Hightops or a Tec-9 and lowtops.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
They're dangerous (to Democrats) because they make people think that they have rights and can make their own decisions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The anti-gunners
"...are a legend in their own minds." Harry Callahan, aka Dirty Harry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought it was the black plastic furniture.  Ban black plastic... for the children.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What makes AWs so @#$%^&* dangerous?
View Quote

YOU.

BTW has anyone ever explaind to these people that ALL pistols are semi-auto.

Do you know that these ASSHOLES also introduced that new bill ON MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. Talk about happy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
[lol][rofl][rofl2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
[red]DIANE FEINSTEIN,  CHUCK SCHUMER, LINCOLN CHAFEE, BARBARA BOXER, DICK DURBIN, JACK REED, FRANK LAUTENBERG, JIM JEFFORDS, and EDWARD KENNEDY[/red]

"they simply have no place on America's streets."
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I always get a kick out of the line about "need to get them off America's streets" .... really.  I can honestly say in my lifetime I have never once seen anybody walking down the street, or standing on a street corner, or dejectedly leaning against a building with an assault rifle.  Never.  Nobody around here has been killed with one, afaik.  I blame Hollywood for this mess.

Why are people in today's society so incapable of placing blame where blame belongs ... on the shoulders of the person committing a crime.  Are people THAT unwilling to accept that some folks are just plain bad individuals?  Why is everybody so fixated on finding a scapegoat?

Why the Hell can't they focus on getting the criminals off the streets and the Democrats out of office (those are the REAL problems, afteral) and leave the rest of us the Hell alone?

What's wrong with us killing somebody that was trying to rob a store, or mug an old lady, or break into somebody's house?  The way I see it is, the state pays for the cleanup of the body, and saves about $30,000.00 a year they otherwise would have spent keeping the sonofabitch in prison.

I used to dream about living long enough to retire, and spend my final years reflecting back on times spent with loved ones and what not.  Lately it seems my end may come a bit sooner, either by the government allowing this country to degrade to such a level that criminals and terrorists will have open season on the population which at that point is unable to defend itself ... or at the hands of some JBT's coming to take the last bastion of freedom.

I don't know about you guys, but to quote Independence Day "We will not go quietly into the night".  Or at least I won't.  I'd find my eternal rest a bit easier if I died as a free man, rather than a puppet slave.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
""It is these large clips, drums, and strips that allow lone gunmen, or small groups of [bold]teenagers[/bold], to inflict so much damage in such a small amount of time.""

That is the wierdest thing I have heard all day.
How many teens can buy guns?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]But unfortunately there is not the support for that right now. If the support becomes evident, then we may amend the bill at a later date.[/b]

Say it ain't so.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
That bayonet lug thingy is sharp and can tear clothing if it snags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top