Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 4:41:26 PM EDT
A farmer called me and said he had a rat infestation, boy did he ever, I shot rats and had a blast. They were everywhere. I had some pics and they were erased through a mistake of mine, anyway I had a blast.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you use to dispatch the vermin and how many did you get?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
We have short range prarie dogs all over our 160, it is great fun playing "Whack A Mole" with 10-22's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What a coincidence.  When I saw the posts title I remembered the most fun time shooting I ever had was when a friend called a bunch of us over to eradicate the rats that were over running his property by the thousands.  A neighboring duck farm had just closed down and with the source of food removed the rats were looking everywhere for new food supplies and we must have killed hundreds of them.  Even the wives were there shooting too it was amazing like being in the middle of a rat stampede.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What did you use to dispatch the vermin and how many did you get?
View Quote
I was using a .22 mag Garden gun by Marlin (with shot cartriges) my friend was using a 410 single shot, shot gun. I got a 8, he got 6. What a blast. They were in his corn bins , we slaughered them
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What a coincidence.  When I saw the posts title I remembered the most fun time shooting I ever had was when a friend called a bunch of us over to eradicate the rats that were over running his property by the thousands.  A neighboring duck farm had just closed down and with the source of food removed the rats were looking everywhere for new food supplies and we must have killed hundreds of them.  Even the wives were there shooting too it was amazing like being in the middle of a rat stampede.
View Quote
Shooting rats is fun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you ever get a chance to do it , do it, most fun I have had in a long time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No really good shots, just dead rats. The Marlin is a close in gun and the 410 is a be careful around equipment gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
.22 mag Garden gun by Marlin (with shot cartriges)
View Quote

Refresh my memory please,  .... That's a bolt action, magazine fed rifle, right?

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was stationed in Adak, AK, we had a huge problem with rats.  We would form groups of four of five guys and hunt those nasty little critters down.  'Cept we couldn't use guns due to the proximity of the barracks.  Instead we would use sticks and beat the little bastards to death.

They're pretty quick too.  [BD]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Shooting rats is a ball! When I was a senior in H.S. me and two buddy's spent our spring break in W.Va. at a farm owned by the family of one of the guy's. There was a trash dump along the side of the road at a horseshoe turn. We set up on three sides and just blasted away at rats for a few of hours. Yep, rat shootin' with .22's is about the most fun you can have with a gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I was stationed in Adak, AK, we had a huge problem with rats.  We would form groups of four of five guys and hunt those nasty little critters down.  'Cept we couldn't use guns due to the proximity of the barracks.  Instead we would use sticks and beat the little bastards to death.

View Quote

Ah yes, the world-famous "Mouse-Be-Quick" Stick.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like fun!  So what do you guys suggest I do to get a chance at popping some rats?  Put a bug in the ear of some farmers that I'm ready and willing to hunt some rats?  Any other suggestions?

I know in [i]Unintended Consequences[/i] a couple of the characters had a deal worked out with the watchman at the city dump where they would go and shoot rats at nighttime.  I don't think firearms would fly in the city, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
and here I thought this was going to be a thread about FULL auto.

next to FA blasting pests is the second most fun I have had with guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah yes, the world-famous "Mouse-Be-Quick" Stick.
View Quote

Actually, the most inventive way of getting them involved a live catch.  There was a big dumpster behind the chow hall and was always crawling with rats.  We would take a clear plastic garbage bag and hold it over the drainage hole at the bottom of the dumpster.  Then we would rock the dumpster back and forth until a rat would unwisely decide to abandon the dumpster through the aforementioned drainage hole.  Once he ran through, he was snatched up and TA-DA...rat in a bag!  The next step involved a Louisville slugger, but I won't go into details.

That island would just about drive you nuts after 18 months.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't anyone ever tell you that shooting rats for sport is wrong. Come on, what did they ever do to you? If you don't plan on eating them, then you are just a savage killer.[:D]

I've never got into a bunch of rats, but I did reduce the population of a prarie dog town by about 50 several times. If only some one would make a belt fed .22 rimfire and belts/links. Oh what fun it would be.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
down in my neck of the woods its feral hogs and coyotes all the farmers want taken off their land. hell...in some counties..there is a bounty on yotes!! good time!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you don't plan on eating them, then you are just a savage killer.

View Quote

I can live with that. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Johnny,
I don't know if you are serious about your reply or not, but if you are, you might want to spend a little time in the rural areas of America. It's a different world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Johnny,
I don't know if you are serious about your reply or not, but if you are, you might want to spend a little time in the rural areas of America. It's a different world.
View Quote

Ahem.

------------> [:D] <------------
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#22]
A friend of mine has a slight beaver problem on his farm. I have hinted that I will gladly help him with it. But I don't know if CT will let me do them in with my AR.

But he lets me deer hunt on his apple farm. I think he may try to get some pest permits in the near future. Good stuff!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:If you don't plan on eating them, then you are just a savage killer.[:D]
View Quote

You don't live next to an Applebee's do you? 8^)

ED
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to a trash dump at night with a friend of mine and all we had was single shot, bolt action .22 rifles. Using .22 shorts in the rifles and holding flashlights under the barrels, we shot about 75 rats each. Most fun I ever had shooting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#25]
In the town where I grew up, the bow club (archery range) was next to the dump. A buddies dad ran the club and hired 3 of us to shoot rats. One guy was using a Mossberg .410 pump, another with a 8" Taurus .22mag, and me with my Marlin 60. When I got a Savage bolt action .22mag I started taking it. Then I got my AR and I couldn't resist. To make a long story short, 16" AR+red dot+tac light+45gr HPs+rats=big mess & big fun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#26]
In the town where I grew up, the bow club (archery range) was next to the dump. A buddies dad ran the club and hired 3 of us to shoot rats. One guy was using a Mossberg .410 pump, another with a 8" Taurus .22mag, and me with my Marlin 60. When I got a Savage bolt action .22mag I started taking it. Then I got my AR and I couldn't resist. To make a long story short, 16" AR+red dot+tac light+45gr HPs+rats=big mess & big fun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, I'm going to start a Rat hunting ranch.
We buy a couple acres in CO, and we breed 'em big and fast and smart.  Who's in with me?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, I'm going to start a Rat hunting ranch.
We buy a couple acres in CO, and we breed 'em big and fast and smart.  Who's in with me?
View Quote

Only if I can hunt 'em with a flamethrower!
[torch]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top