Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 5:35:40 PM EDT
Any one do a lot of painting with tri coat?  I have done tons and tons of paint work on cars.  Usually single and double stage.  Today was the first time doing tri coat.  While a PITA,  I kinda like it.  White base,  then Pearl coat, followed by clear coat.

This being the race car it has had a few changes,  changing from an air to air intercooler to a water to air intercooler meant having a bumper with a giant cut out where the intercooler cut out.  So an ASC Mclaren style bumper add on was ordered to cover the hole.  It doesn't have to be as pretty as it does functional.  So the 3M tape went to the parts pile and the rivets came out.  Then found a new hood,  and did some minor repair on it followed by some prep work.  

Of course as soon as I got the final coat of clear on it started raining like hell.  Humidity makes the dry time go up.  So ittl have to sit for a day or so before I can color sand and buff it.  

Adding the water to air intercooler system.

Charge pipe run through the firewall cowl to the interior.  

Fitting and prepwork.

Base white and pearl coat applied.

Here is where it sits right now.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking car.  Makes me feel sick about getting rid of my old Capri, which looked a lot like that one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Very sharp

OP, your car or customer car?
Drag car?  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very sharp

OP, your car or customer car?
Drag car?  
View Quote

Thank you.
Not mine.  It belongs to a good friend.  It is a drag car.  It is pushing 709 HP from a SBF bored and stroked to about 383 ish inches. With Dart 2 heads and fuel injection.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice looking car.  Makes me feel sick about getting rid of my old Capri, which looked a lot like that one.
View Quote

I'm with you.  I owned three Capris in my teens.  Sold 2 and junked one.  They were a dime a dozen.  Now they are needles inn haystacks.
This will make you cry.  I love driving this bitch.

Oh and it goes like hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Giddy up

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a painter. Tri stages are very common these days. We even do a couple jobs here and there that use a tinted clear. They can look nice but they usually suck ass when trying to match the color of you have no blend room. I'd say I've done close to a MILLION of them is 28 years. Lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a painter. Tri stages are very common these days. We even do a couple jobs here and there that use a tinted clear. They can look nice but they usually suck ass when trying to match the color of you have no blend room. I'd say I've done close to a MILLION of them is 28 years. Lol
View Quote

I have done tinted clears before.  

I used to work in a bodyshop years ago out of high school.  My boss was in awe at my ability to paint.  So I got the opportunity to do a lot of paint jobs.  I wish I had taken some pictures.  

Sometimes I miss it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top