Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
That shit is fun. Shooting was getting boring for me and it definitely brought the fun back. I shot well, and my times were really good but got dinged on a bunch of (imho) dumb procedural rules. I really didn't give a shit, I didn't go to win or care about my score, rather as a better training experience than shooting on a square range.

It bothers me me when stuff like IDPA or 3 gun, which was originally designed as a competition centered around defensive firearms practice slowly turns into gaming the game. Most of the guys were there just to have fun, but there were a few that were definitively gaming it (taking extra shots to time reloads better, running toward a target to get better hits rather than shooting from a distance and maintaining cover/concealment, etc). I could see where this kind of stuff could quit being fun when you get to the higher level matches.

That said I can't wait to do it again!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait are you saying guys there actually wanted to win the game ? Holy fuck
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait are you saying guys there actually wanted to win the game ? Holy fuck
View Quote

No, I am saying it's dumb when shooting sports centered around being tactically sound lose that aspect due people caring about winning rather than the spirit of the event. I thought the same thing when I shot 3D shoots in the past. Guys show up with bows that you would never take in the woods just to try to get that extra few points. I usually found those guys were the most douchey too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't blame anyone for playing to win, but I hear where you're coming from.  

I tried a pistol match one time for the challenge of it.  I went to shoot my carry gun, draw from concealment, and have to deal with reloads under the pressure of the clock.

The folks were nice and helpful but couldn't comprehend that I didn't want to top off my mags between stages because I wanted to deal with reloading.  I didn't care at all about my score.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a match director for USPSA and Steel Challenge.  I was also a certified USPSA RO and a certified IDPA SO.

The most you are ever going to get at a local club match is bragging rights and maybe a fifteen dollar particle board trophy/plaque.

So it is amazing to me what ego drives some people to do.

Just wait if you go to a larger major match and see the amount of sandbagging going on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait until I get you to a USPSA match
View Quote

Yeah and you smoke my ass.  I've watched your videos on FB, that looks fun as hell! Tell me when and where when I get back to Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like how the losers are always there to "train."
View Quote

Did you miss how I said it was my first match?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, we obviously need it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Well thankfully the guys I shot with were a lot nicer than you seem. Big thanks to the guy who lent me his M&P when my Glock 19 broke.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm just messing around. I hope you're not a dirty inky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Well thankfully the guys I shot with were a lot nicer than you seem. Big thanks to the guy who lent me his M&P when my Glock 19 broke.

I'm just messing around. I hope you're not a dirty inky.

Pure as the snow is white.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

G19 broke!!!!

Oh no you din it!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish there was no kind of score-keeping at IDPA matches; it takes all of the fun out of it.

Safety is always important but some of the rules are
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

G19 broke!!!!

Oh no you din it!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

G19 broke!!!!

Oh no you din it!!!!

Yup! Broken slide catch spring. 10k rounds in. It was time I replaced all the springs anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That shit is fun. Shooting was getting boring for me and it definitely brought the fun back. I shot well, and my times were really good but got dinged on a bunch of (imho) dumb procedural rules. I really didn't give a shit, I didn't go to win or care about my score, rather as a better training experience than shooting on a square range.

It bothers me me when stuff like IDPA or 3 gun, which was originally designed as a competition centered around defensive firearms practice slowly turns into gaming the game. Most of the guys were there just to have fun, but there were a few that were definitively gaming it (taking extra shots to time reloads better, running toward a target to get better hits rather than shooting from a distance and maintaining cover/concealment, etc). I could see where this kind of stuff could quit being fun when you get to the higher level matches.

That said I can't wait to do it again!
View Quote

I just started shooting IDPA earlier this month. I'm hooked
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
We shoot IDPA twice a month and it's always a good time. Me and A buddy of mine get pretty competitive..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top