Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 2:41:27 PM EDT
Loooooong story short, how can I get latex paint off of the vinyl trim of a brand new truck?

One of my guys was spinning a roller nap that was just cleaned, he was drying it. He was approximately 30ft away from the 3 month old truck when a sudden gust of wind carried the mist directly in the direction of the parked truck. The guy took it to a detail shop and they wouldn't touch the vinyl, they recommended a body shop. The body shop wanted to replace mirror cap, running board, window cowl, wiper arms etc saying it would be cheaper than labor. I believe a semi hard scrub brush will do the job. Eh?

Its watered down latex paint which does come off everything else pretty easily but the vinyl parts have a texture to them. The price the guy quoted me I don't even want to talk about......

HELP!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Detailing clay
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The paint is not too much of a problem, its the textured vinyl pieces. Do you think clay will get into the nooks and cranny's?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hot water and a toothbrush. Good thing is its latex which is water based anyway. If toothbrush dontvwork, Hot hot water and a textured rag and some elbow grease. It will come off
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Something like that happen to the wifes truck. I bought 1-gal of WD40 and wiped most of it off.  The remaining stuff I sprayed silicone on the rubber trim & amoral on the plastic. Took some time but it came off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The clay will be fine if you use a good lube, I clay as I wash a car on the second pass.  If the clay gets into a panel gap no problem just let it firm up and gently use the clay bar to pick it out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You could try lacquer thinner.
It might discolor the plastic a bit so try a small spot first.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I spoke to a highly recommended detail shop local to me and they said they can do it. The spots go from front to back wheels on the entire side of the truck, fuck my life....

Thanks for the advice fellers
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spoke to a highly recommended detail shop local to me and they said they can do it. The spots go from front to back wheels on the entire side of the truck, fuck my life....

View Quote

I had an issue with latex paint spilled in the road and unavoidable - it got ALL over the car. Paint, undercarriage, and plastic trim. I got Aircraft brand adhesive remover, sprayed it on and used a plastic razorblade to remove the paint. It took a few hours. Followed that up with a full detail - compound, polish, and sealant. It was a long process, but it all came out without damage. I tried WD40, claybar, and just polish/compounding to see if it would come off. No luck with any of those.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Simple green and a toothbrush will take care of it
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had an issue with latex paint spilled in the road and unavoidable - it got ALL over the car. Paint, undercarriage, and plastic trim. I got Aircraft brand adhesive remover, sprayed it on and used a plastic razorblade to remove the paint. It took a few hours. Followed that up with a full detail - compound, polish, and sealant. It was a long process, but it all came out without damage. I tried WD40, claybar, and just polish/compounding to see if it would come off. No luck with any of those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hearing that gives me hope!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Possibly try some of the "Environental friendly" latex paint stripper?  But first test it in an inconspicuous area to make sure it won't eat the automotive paints or plastics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Goof off is what you seek and will be much less expensive that the body shop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would try extremely carefully with a heat gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top