Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
10 Fascinating Facts About the Hubble Space Telescope
http://www.history.com/news/10-fascinating-facts-about-the-hubble-space-telescope

6. The telescope only takes pictures in shades of black and white.
The dazzling snaps of nebulae, supernovae and galaxies captured by Hubble are usually only released after having undergone a postproduction process to add color.
Hubble’s onboard digital cameras only take photos as gray-scale pixels, so astronomers make multiple exposures of the same object using different filters—typically red, blue and green—to capture various wavelengths of light.
These are then overlaid to create a single color composite.
Since Hubble can see in the ultraviolet and infrared ranges, scientists also occasionally insert additional color into the images to bring out details that would otherwise remain invisible to the human eye.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish we had star travel.

I feel I was born either 150 years too late or 150 years too early.......
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
What I find just as amazing as that pic is that it was first discovered in 1787.

Once I get thinking about and considering just what "space" is and the possibility of infinity my mind gets a bit overwhelmed.

Cool post - thanks.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was there a story behind that or was it added for a on screen WTF moment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Was there a story behind that or was it added for a on screen WTF moment?

It was the corpse of one of these giant celestial beings. Later humaniods mined it for all kinds of precious materials.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe that the bubble nebula was featured in yesterday's Arfcom approved astronomy thread of the day.

Space is awesome
View Quote

Too bad we traded the space program for the war on poverty and nation building
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks OP. It reminds me of just trivial we are in the scheme of things. One second were here, the next were gone.

You can be sure there's a whole lot more going on than on this little speck.

LOL, I had to double check to see if I was really in GD.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

sounds great on paper, but i suspect it'd be a lot like spending life on a submarine--stale air, smelly, grungy, and years without going outside.

but the things you'd see just might be worth it...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sounds great on paper, but i suspect it'd be a lot like spending life on a submarine--stale air, smelly, grungy, and years without going outside.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meat popsicles, aisle one.

Then again, if the singularity were to happen, you could upload to a ships servers and only pop back into your meatsuit when needed.  Hell, keep that on ice and just use a robot platform for routine stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Daily reminder that we are insignificant and meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A nice dose of depression for lunch.
View Quote

Alright I'll get all churchy on you.

I disagree.  That is one of trillions of galaxies God had created, yet you are literary his offspring.  You are infinitely more valuable to Him than those galaxies.  All those galaxies are just things.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I disagree.  That is one of trillions of galaxies God had created, yet you are literary his offspring.  You are infinitely more valuable to Him than those galaxies.  All those galaxies are just things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daily reminder that we are insignificant and meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A nice dose of depression for lunch.

even from a non-churchy perspective, i don't understand the angst over "insignificant and meaningless".  meaningless to whom?  not to me--that's for damn sure--and since it's my life, i'm really significant whether or not someone else thinks so.  when it comes to my life, i decide what is significant and what is not.  i don't understand the profound insecurity that gives rise to depression in the face of such majesty.

i get to look up into the sky and see into forever.  whether or not some other being intended it, the night sky might as well have been put there for my entertainment.  so i'm going to enjoy it for however long i have here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Amazing
View Quote

Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
We better get AL Gore out there to see how much CO2 is there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top