Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:30:24 AM EDT
I had a part of a tough chuck roast left over from something else I did, so I decided that maybe I'd make a pot roast out of the damn thing.

Chicken Stock, Beer (Pilsner), Celery, Carrot, Onion, Soy Sauce, Fish Oil, Chuck Roast, fresh Thyme (finely diced), Garlic, Bay Leaves, and Anchovy Fillets (diced).

Browning the roast in a little vegetable oil. Using a pair of tongs, I browned every surface humanly possible. It's tasty. At this point, it can just rest on a plate.

Here, I'm browning the carrot, onion and celery. The idea here is to give it a little color, while softening it up. It's cooked in the oil and juices leftover from earlier.

Toss in the thyme, diced anchovy, and minced garlic.

After simming that for a few minutes, I add the chicken broth. I then simmer it down.

The idea here is to nestle the beef into the mixture, then bring it to a boil.

...and then, bake it at 300F with the lid cracked.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good man!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
damn, now I'm hungry!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You still haven't cleaned out that oven?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It's hard to be critical of a man with 129,000 posts, but FISH OIL and ANCHOVIES in a pot roast ????

NO no no no no no!

And the carrots shouldn't be diced, they should be cut in 2-inch pieces. And where are the potatoes?

Sorry, but there is so much wrong going on here that we're going to have to chop you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's hard to be critical of a man with 129,000 posts, but FISH OIL and ANCHOVIES in a pot roast ????

NO no no no no no!

And the carrots shouldn't be diced, they should be cut in 2-inch pieces. And where are the potatoes?

Sorry, but there is so much wrong going on here that we're going to have to chop you.
View Quote

anchovies is a good addition. will make it taste richer.

could also just toss in Worcestershire or MSG to get the same thing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Really dude ,the best 15 bucks you ever spent for your oven.I have a different brand from Walmart that's discontinued but works great .

Time for lunch ,your making me hungry again.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

NO no no no no no!

View Quote

I dont think he's using the carrots to eat with the pot roast but using them to flavor the gravy.  Cut em small so they cook down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks like it is going to be damn fucking good.

And thanks for including the old school cigarette case in the back, haven't seen one of those in years, reminds me of my Grandma.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NO no no no no no!

View Quote
Yeah, the anchovetta's are a bit of a deal killer for me too. I get the umami thing.....but I use BACON, as any non-heathen, red blooded American male should.

Anchovies...sheesh.

Bacon - the correct way.  I do the mirepoix that way too, but I'll add in chunk carrots, spuds, etc later on after the roast braises to the right point.

Pilsner is good, ale is good too. I usually get some red wine in there also.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top