Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 1:57:45 AM EDT
I like to try to shoot practice loads that mimic the recoil of my defense loads and shoot to the same general POI as the defensive loads. I am a big fan of the Federal 147 gr HST and Winchester Ranger Talon 147 gr and will buy and carry whichever of these two loads I can find when I need to purchase additional ammo. That said, I have noticed that 147 gr practice ammo is harder to find and generally more expensive than most of the 115 gr stuff that is commonly available. I usually buy and shoot either American Eagle FMJ or Speer Lawman TMJ 147 gr loads for training, as both offer good quality and are the easiest to find in that bullet weight. But these usually run anywhere from around $15 to $17 per box most places. OTOH, you can find decent  brass case 115 gr blasting ammo for as little as $10 or $11 per box.

It sure wouldn't hurt my feelings any if I could find something else utilizing a 147 gr FMJ bullet running at about 990-1000 fps from a 4" barrel that could shave a few dollars off the per box price. It may not sound like much, but 50 rounds doesn't go very far and paying an additional $5 per box to get 147 gr ammo quickly adds up. So for others who like shooting this bullet weight, what do you use? This issue may ultimately prove to be the motivator that finally gets me into reloading.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Got to watch for sales at Cabelas. You can score deals like $11.89 per box of AE 147gr with free shipping. Used coupons, gift cards and activekjunkie to get it for even less.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Cabelas has xtreme bullets on sale right now. 124gr HP and 147gr FP for $35 per 500. Today I picked up 2,000 of each and 4,000 115gr RN. Add a primer and 3.5gr of Titegroup and you've got subs for less than $5 per 50.

Unrelated note, they've also got Norma M193 on sale for $6.99 per 20. I bought two cases worth, since I sell the brass for 25 cents each. Shooting Norma ammo for $2 per box
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what I use.

http://sgammo.com/product/speer/1000-rd-case-9mm-luger-speer-lawman-147-grain-tmj-subsonic-ammo-53620

By far the best price, and my guns eat it up with no problems suppressed or unsuppressed..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top