Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/20/2016 6:56:21 PM EDT
My GF's is trying to take a Statistics test tonight, a class she is having a really tough time with. If she manages to get 100 of the 150 points, she'll squeak out a C- in the class. This is a hard working woman who already has two degrees and works as a Nurse, and is working on her Bachelors at night. This class has her up past midnight most nights of the week and when she came home she told me she had to shut herself in her room and not to bother her because she had three hours to take the test a maximum of two times.......

So you can imagine how she's feeling right now when an hour into it, Microsoft started a forced installation of Windows 10 without her even knowing about it. Her test got interrupted with the installation starting to run, and it took over her computer. It's been a half an hour and it is only 25% thru the install. After telling her that there would likely be some problems when 10 gets up and running with getting logged back in, permissions, passwords etc., she put her coat on and left the house. I don't have the heart to tell her that I did some reading and found out that a lot of older laptops can'trun Windows 10 and end up being bricked for good during the installation to 10....

This is a woman that gets A's in all her class, getting the C she was on track to earn was a real blow to her-now she's going to fail the class and have to do it over again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are updates set to auto install?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm dealing with internet issues on a laptop that came with Windows 10. When I bought it everything worked great but after every forced update it gets worse and worse.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it'll be ok.  I didn't have any issues and I have a 6 year old laptop.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
These W10 updates, at least in some cases, cannot be stopped without divine intervention.

It's a terrible policy by M$, but there's little if anything you can do about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These W10 updates, at least in some cases, cannot be stopped without divine intervention.  

It's a terrible policy by M$, but there's little if anything you can do about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They keep telling me that they would like to schedule my update for x/xx/xxxx.

I keep telling them to fuck off and suck my cock.

I fear that it's only a matter of time though.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
PEBKAC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running 8.1 Pro and haven't been forced yet.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
This is helpful...

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know that they are- looking at threads about it on the web, they are forcing it thru even with auto updates turned off-or at least some people are reporting it.

It sounds like they got her the same way they are screwing other people over. A window pops up and says that your installation will begin in 13 minutes. She didn't see it because it was under the web browser she was taking the test with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, when they finally suck your cock, they will surely byte.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Sad story bro, but you do realize that Bill Gates hasn't had anything to do with it for years now, right? Satya Nadella should be the focus of your rage. Here's a pic to pin to a dart board or target:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know that they are- looking at threads about it on the web, they are forcing it thru even with auto updates turned off-or at least some people are reporting it.

It sounds like they got her the same way they are screwing other people over. A window pops up and says that your installation will begin in 13 minutes. She didn't see it because it was under the web browser she was taking the test with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is being forced through if you have updates turned off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's the guy you need to be hating... might not be a bad idea to send him a nasty gram either.

Here's his contact info:  http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9946

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Bill Gates hasn't been the CEO of Microsoft in 16 years. His last full time day of work there was 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sad story bro, but you do realize that Bill Gates hasn't had anything to do with it for years now, right? Satya Nadella should be the focus of your rage. Here's a pic to pin to a dart board or target:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Satya_Nadella.jpg
View Quote

And my pussy is this big...........

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Take a time stamped picture and send it to the instructor. Have proof and they will understand
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PEBKAC
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Document this while it's happening for proof to show the instructor.

Also, Bill Gates isn't a day to day guy at Microsoft anymore. Don't know if he had a say in this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Why did it take her so long to upgrade?

WIN 10 has been out for a long time now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd think. My PC still auto-updates and auto-reboots even when I'm using it, despite having Windows Updates disabled. Thankfully it tends to happen in the middle of Quake, not when I'm doing something important like remote customer support (yet).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#21]
linux ftw
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's been a half an hour and it is only 25% thru the install. After telling her that there would likely be some problems when 10 gets up and running
View Quote

What?  Never heard of windows installing and saying that there will LIKELY be problems... ??

I've installed windows 10 from a USB thumbstick to multiple computers, and it takes about 10-15 minutes tops.

Even if all that is true, shit, have her log onto a different computer and finish up her test if it's that critical.  If I had a make it or break it test to take I sure as shit wouldn't be out taking a stroll

I've been using windows 10 since the preview days.  My computer has NEVER rebooted on it's own to install updates, it let's me choose when to reboot to install critical updates.  So, her windows 7 rebooted to install an update, and it's Windows 10 fault?  Windows 7 is the piece of crap OS that rebooted to install a new OS all on its own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, Bill Gates isn't a day to day guy at Microsoft anymore. Don't know if he had a say in this.
View Quote

The best way to document this is to send him the link to this thread. What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My brother is in law school and just recently escaped a very similar situation.

Fuck the Windows 10 auto updates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The best way to document this is to send him the link to this thread. What could go wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a different computer to access the syllabus, find his phone number and call him.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
My MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]
windows users

I will never use another windows product. Linux FTMFW
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are online help pages that explain how to completely delete the Windows 10 update (stealth and open) from your computer.  I'm no tech nerd and it was easy for me.

I have business machines I don't want to run 10 on so figured it out.  I knew otherwise it was a matter of time until it snuck in an update or one of my minions clicked the wrong thing.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Bill Gates has little to do with Microsoft at this point. . . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
windows users

I will never use another windows product. Linux FTMFW
View Quote

I thought this once too, about 5 years ago, for about a week.  That is, until I realized that Linux can't run any of the programs I need for work.  Or having to type lines and lines of code just to get Netflix to play right.  Screw that.  To this day, I don't understand how someone can get by in the real world on just Linux.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem.
View Quote

I've had users that "just don't know" how they got updated to El Capitan.  Probably roughly the same deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
PEBKAC
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am in 8.1 and I have not been forced.  I shit down my PC when it starts telling me its downloading the update.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm dealing with internet issues on a laptop that came with Windows 10. When I bought it everything worked great but after every forced update it gets worse and worse.
View Quote

Lenovo? Same shit with my laptop. Windows 10 plus the Lenovo bloat drag the shit down bad. The 2006 Sony laptop it was to replace is actually faster at starting up and becoming useable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Whatever you do, dont interrupt the install or that will definitely bork everything. Out of the 200ish Win10 upgrades ive seen, only 1 was a legitimate failure, needing a wipe and reload. Make sure the laptop is plugged in.

If the upgrade finishes but encounters an error and goes to the blue screen and cannot start  10, running a startup repair with the Windows disk may fix that issue. If the laptop boots but has just a black display and cursor, the install completed, but the laptop just needs a hard restart.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Linux for the win.

On a side note my wife's computer got windows 10 forced on to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am in 8.1 and I have not been forced.  I shit down my PC when it starts telling me its downloading the update.
View Quote

Thanks for the (I'm assuming) unintentional lol, I needed that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#39]
You can prevent that.  Its not as if everyone doesn't know that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work for a state IT dept. and we were told to block it via GPO and registry. The registry part is pretty simple though. http://bfy.tw/5NM7
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Clippy!!! That takes me back to my childhood.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it. I read on here how to turn them off months ago. No updates for me on my sweet ass 8.1
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm running 8.1 Pro and haven't been forced yet.
View Quote

Bingo. I have 2 computers with 8.1 and one with 7.  I've disabled automatic updates on all of them. I look at all the updates that come in. If anything has to do with the Windows 10 "upgrade," I mark it as hidden and never see it again.

As a matter of fact, one of the computers with 8.1 originally came with Windows 10 preinstalled. The first thing I did was wipe the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 from scratch.

Next computer I get, I'll probably install Windows 7. I like it better than 8.1. (Windows 7 comes with Media Center, which is no longer available, even at extra cost, for Windows 8.1.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#44]
GWX Control Panel
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What?  Never heard of windows installing and saying that there will LIKELY be problems... ??

I've installed windows 10 from a USB thumbstick to multiple computers, and it takes about 10-15 minutes tops.

Even if all that is true, shit, have her log onto a different computer and finish up her test if it's that critical.  If I had a make it or break it test to take I sure as shit wouldn't be out taking a stroll

I've been using windows 10 since the preview days.  My computer has NEVER rebooted on it's own to install updates, it let's me choose when to reboot to install critical updates.  So, her windows 7 rebooted to install an update, and it's Windows 10 fault?  Windows 7 is the piece of crap OS that rebooted to install a new OS all on its own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been a half an hour and it is only 25% thru the install. After telling her that there would likely be some problems when 10 gets up and running

No, no- it was me that told her there would likely be problems based on what the Internet was saying.

I did offer her to log into my laptop, but for reasons relating to how the online classes are or where she keeps her notes etc., she needs her computer.

I'm pretty sure her computer is a Windows 8 from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking this. First thing I do on a computer/phone/whatever is to turn automatic shit off.

Why? For the exact reason the OP is posting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#47]
My work machine is Windows 7 and updates are disabled.  None have been installed since early 2015 and no threats of W10 being installed have beem made.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Well the installation download is done and we refused the EULA so it's trying to reinstall her old OS.

Hope it doesn't screw it up....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#49]
At some point I need to figure out how to disable the Windows 10 update prompt that pops up every few days.

Right now it pops up and tells me to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . .  and that my VPN software won't be compatible with Windows 10.  WTF?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top