User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My GF's is trying to take a Statistics test tonight, a class she is having a really tough time with. If she manages to get 100 of the 150 points, she'll squeak out a C- in the class. This is a hard working woman who already has two degrees and works as a Nurse, and is working on her Bachelors at night. This class has her up past midnight most nights of the week and when she came home she told me she had to shut herself in her room and not to bother her because she had three hours to take the test a maximum of two times.......

So you can imagine how she's feeling right now when an hour into it, Microsoft started a forced installation of Windows 10 without her even knowing about it. Her test got interrupted with the installation starting to run, and it took over her computer. It's been a half an hour and it is only 25% thru the install. After telling her that there would likely be some problems when 10 gets up and running with getting logged back in, permissions, passwords etc., she put her coat on and left the house. I don't have the heart to tell her that I did some reading and found out that a lot of older laptops can'trun Windows 10 and end up being bricked for good during the installation to 10....

This is a woman that gets A's in all her class, getting the C she was on track to earn was a real blow to her-now she's going to fail the class and have to do it over again.
View Quote

Bill Gates hasn't worked at Microsoft for the better part of a decade.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PEBKAC
View Quote

This. It's not a toaster, folks.. learn WTF you're using and how it works.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsof
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
She needs to contact the college asap
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL at blaming Bill or even Microsoft for having your computer set to auto install updates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why are updates set to auto install?
View Quote

Mine is set to critical only.

I get a bitch screen every couple of days telling me how great 10 is, but there's a "don't schedule" option.

I don't give a fuck how great 10 is. 7 is working perfectly. Please don't fuck me, Microsoft!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because people are too lazy to examine their computer settings?  These are teh same people who wouldn't ever install vulnerability patches.

And OP, you know the Bill Gates has had no involvement with MS (aside from cashing dividend checks) for years now... right?  SO how, exactly, is any of this Gates's fault?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ultimately it is Bill's fault.  Get him on the phone to help fix this.

May as well conference in John McAfee to help de-install his anti virus software while you are fixing things.  

Maybe you can skip John since he posted a how to YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Why can't Bill be as helpful as John?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They keep telling me that they would like to schedule my update for x/xx/xxxx.

I keep telling them to fuck off and suck my cock.

I fear that it's only a matter of time though.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These W10 updates, at least in some cases, cannot be stopped without divine intervention.  

It's a terrible policy by M$, but there's little if anything you can do about it.

They keep telling me that they would like to schedule my update for x/xx/xxxx.

I keep telling them to fuck off and suck my cock.

I fear that it's only a matter of time though.  

open CMD and enter wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Windows 10 SUCKS.
Purchased a new computer a few months ago, spent a day or so setting it up and 2 days later it decides to not recognize my password any more.
Called Microsoft and they told me the only option I had was to take it back. According to googlefu it's not an uncommon problem.
If I had registered it with Microsoft when I set it up they could have gotten me in but since I skipped that optional step (not wanting Microsoft collecting info on me) I was screwed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought this once too, about 5 years ago, for about a week.  That is, until I realized that Linux can't run any of the programs I need for work.  Or having to type lines and lines of code just to get Netflix to play right.
View Quote

windows sounds perfect for you then.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
30 seconds on Google and you could have blocked the auto update, and the win10 reminder box.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At some point I need to figure out how to disable the Windows 10 update prompt that pops up every few days.

Right now it pops up and tells me to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . .  and that my VPN software won't be compatible with Windows 10.  WTF?
View Quote

Same for you:
open CMD and enter wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

At some point I need to figure out how to disable the Windows 10 update prompt that pops up every few days.

Right now it pops up and tells me to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . .  and that my VPN software won't be compatible with Windows 10.  WTF?
View Quote

Just before Win 10 came out, I did a hardware and software check and it said my Samsung 840 Pro SSD was incompatible with windows 10.

Lol.

Works fine
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.
Purchased a new computer a few months ago, spent a day or so setting it up and 2 days later it decides to not recognize my password any more.
Called Microsoft and they told me the only option I had was to take it back. According to googlefu it's not an uncommon problem.
If I had registered it with Microsoft when I set it up they could have gotten me in but since I skipped that optional step (not wanting Microsoft collecting info on me) I was screwed.
View Quote

If you had any Google-Fu, you would have gotten this:

Jesus man, you don't even have to click through to another page.

ETA: and that's taking your post at face value, ignoring the fact that having used every version of Windows made in the last 20 years, I have never had a Windows installation just "stop taking my password".
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.
View Quote

You do realize that even with you skipping that step,  they're still collecting a metric assload of data on you and your online habits,  right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I had Windows 8, and put off the Windows 10 upgrade for weeks.

I just upgraded 3 days again, in a relatively short amount of time, and have had 0 issues.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If it was windows 8 from the factory it will work great with windows 10.

It sucks that the windows 10 update suddenly magically happened all by itself  but now I think you are making the situation worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[I'm pretty sure her computer is a Windows 8 from the factory.

If it was windows 8 from the factory it will work great with windows 10.

It sucks that the windows 10 update suddenly magically happened all by itself  but now I think you are making the situation worse.

No, it's back to normal for now and I'll check the autoupdate status tomorrow,
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOL at blaming Bill or even Microsoft for having your computer set to auto install updates.
View Quote

Okay, can I blame Bill and Microsoft for writing code that forces installation without you accepting it while you are I the middle of working on a task?

Is that Okay?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Peak Rope days are just ahead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Just how many degrees does she really need?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/whW0PEO.jpg

ETA: and that's taking your post at face value, ignoring the fact that having used every version of Windows made in the last 20 years, I have never had a Windows installation just "stop taking my password".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.

Funny that the Microsoft asshats didn't know that or couldn't help me.

Eta - windows 10 was preloaded on the computer also and  didn't come with the DVD mentioned in your screenshot

??????????
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You do realize that even with you skipping that step,  they're still collecting a metric assload of data on you and your online habits,  right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.

Yes
All I was attempting to do was minimize that as much as possible
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am in 8.1 and I have not been forced.  I shit down my PC when it starts telling me its downloading the update.
View Quote

Doesn't shitting down your PC cause one hell of a mess?

Gross.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Eta - windows 10 was preloaded on the computer also and  didn't come with the DVD mentioned in your screenshot

??????????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.

??????????

MS phone support is for shit, I'm never going to stick up for that.  But Google would have told you all about building recovery discs/USB drives, recovery partitions, resetting passwords, etc.  Unless you have a hardware problem, the answer is never "take it back to the store".
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#29]

I actually like Windows 10.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Okay, can I blame Bill and Microsoft for writing code that forces installation without you accepting it while you are I the middle of working on a task?

Is that Okay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that Okay?

Unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Edit: wrong button
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm running 8.1 Pro and haven't been forced yet.
View Quote

8 sucks huge cock as well.

It seems 7 is the best current option.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I run a win 8.1 laptop with updates turned off

And a netbook with win 10.

Never had a issue with either, and when I do update once a month on the win 8 laptop

I just uncheck the win 10 box.

Its not rocket science, if a grunt can figure it out anybody can.

good luck

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why did it take her so long to upgrade?

WIN 10 has been out for a long time now.
View Quote

LOL troll.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Because people are too lazy to examine their computer settings?  These are teh same people who wouldn't ever install vulnerability patches.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Installing Windows 10 is not an "update", regardless of what they choose to call it, and using the automatic updater to sneak it past people is bullshit.

Ironically, we're going to see more security problems as users disable any and all automatic update features as a result of Microsoft abusing their users' trust.

Quoted:
I run a win 8.1 laptop with updates turned off

And a netbook with win 10.

Never had a issue with either, and when I do update once a month on the win 8 laptop
I just uncheck the win 10 box.

Its not rocket science, if a grunt can figure it out anybody can.

good luck

You're missing the point here; they're taking various blocks of users and forcing the upgrade.   It's not because they didn't "uncheck a box"; the user gets no say in the matter.   I've had to help several people use third party software to prevent the installation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're missing the point here; they're taking various blocks of users and forcing the upgrade.   It's not because they didn't "uncheck a box"; the user gets no say in the matter.   I've had to help several people use third party software to prevent the installation.
View Quote

Also unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
These W10 updates, at least in some cases, cannot be stopped without divine intervention.  

It's a terrible policy by M$, but there's little if anything you can do about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can sue them in court!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Take a time stamped picture and send it to the instructor. Have proof and they will understand
View Quote

Yep. Professors are down to earth and cool when shit goes wrong, most of the time.

I was taking an online test and the school servers went down for long enough that I managed to answer only the first few questions. I called the IT desk and they told me to have the teacher call if he needed verification the servers went down. I told the professor he said "no problem, I see you are doing well in the class I'll just mark it as a 100"
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Windows 10 SUCKS.

My phone does that with my typing habits.

Also I get random ads on some website about things I recently searched.

It's a government conspiracy I tell you.

Tomorrow I am going to the Dollar General and buy a much tin foil as I can get and wrap my house in it
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Came here to post this!  One of the best scenes ever in movie history!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Msft forces the change to auto install when they really want you to have something on your computer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nailed it. I read on here how to turn them off months ago. No updates for me on my sweet ass 8.1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it. I read on here how to turn them off months ago. No updates for me on my sweet ass 8.1

It's not optional on 10.  Seriously.  I had a lot of trouble with 10 since I changed, lots of software are not non-compatible, video card driver problems, etc.  Lots of updates that would download and get stuck, cycle, get stuck....  Endless loop of updates all the time

The only way to turn off the updates is to tell your computer that you're on a metered connection and it won't automatically download updates.  I did that and now I only have lots of problems, but not that one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My MacBook Pro doesn't have this problem.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think it'll be ok.  I didn't have any issues and I have a 6 year old laptop.
View Quote

You don't know that or have any basis to make a determination.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm sure someone within the vicinity has a working computer she can use. She also had to schedule the update at some point it doesn't just force it's way in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am in 8.1 and I have not been forced.  I shit down my PC when it starts telling me its downloading the update.
View Quote

While invogorating, this tactic has caused me other problems with computers
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I get a bitch screen every couple of days telling me how great 10 is, but there's a "don't schedule" option.

I don't give a fuck how great 10 is. 7 is working perfectly. Please don't fuck me, Microsoft!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pull up windows update, view installed updates and uninstall KB3035583. (wait a couple minutes if it doesn't show up right away in the list) Disable automatic updates and then reboot.
After the reboot, pull up windows update again and then check the box next to KB3035583 (which should now be in the list of available updates) to forget this update.

No more Win10 nags.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top