User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a human excavator, I can do it in 1.5 days. It's only one foot wide trench. This is a side job I'll do on a Saturday and Sunday, I'm not bringing anyone on the job but myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a human excavator, I can do it in 1.5 days. It's only one foot wide trench. This is a side job I'll do on a Saturday and Sunday, I'm not bringing anyone on the job but myself.

I've dug three footings in the last week, although much smaller. Once your a few weeks into the new season your pretty much used to it.

You estimate that it will take 1.5 days (12 hours), and you've recently done 3 jobs, so you already have a good idea what your hourly rate is.  

Take that hourly rate, multiply it by 12... that's how much you "should" charge.

Now, how much should you really charge?   Read some of the other posts in this thread....

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
OP in a few days
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tell me about it, bunch of men asking why why why like a bunch of women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kiddin'.  Why does it take an act of congress to get details around here?

Because drama.

I was referring to your drama. Asking a bunch of questions is pertinent to answer your original question to which you seem to already know the answer to. To dig by hand is stupid unless there are legitimate reasons not to. You don't want to share those reasons.

I do this for a living too. I need the right information to give a realistic answer to make money.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Bid?  Fuck that, if you do it without any sort of assistance/machinery I'd only bid that one Tn'M.  No clue what you're going to bump into down there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
rent a ditch witch for 4 hours...get two day labors ( two because one gets bored by himself and three are too many) ...run the trencher the 100 ft. tell the flunkys to clean it out...call it 16 hours for the two guys at 10$ an hour , 80$ for trencher and double that number...tell the guy to pay after work is done , not when he gets his money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Charge him a dollar a square foot by hand...
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was referring to your drama. Asking a bunch of questions is pertinent to answer your original question to which you seem to already know the answer to. To dig by hand is stupid unless there are legitimate reasons not to. You don't want to share those reasons.
I do this for a living too. I need the right information to give a realistic answer to make money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because drama.

Hell I answered that already, that's how the man wants it done, he wants no power equipment, so the price will increase. Hence my question.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is true, only upside here is all the areas I work are usually a clay/sand mix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've dug three footings in the last week, although much smaller. Once your a few weeks into the new season your pretty much used to it.

Digging footers by hand is the equivalent of cutting yourself with a razor.

It's pain for the sake of pain.

This is true, only upside here is all the areas I work are usually a clay/sand mix.

First guy I worked for was all about hand prepping his walkways and patios, it was brutal but I didn't know any better.

Once I moved to a bigger company every crew had their own dump truck and skidsteer....I felt like I went to heaven.

Now I take a machine every chance I can on my own stuff, you don't dig by hand here, you can't get past the topsoil without hitting shale or bluestone. I can only imagine how back breaking it would have been for those old timers that hand dug and built the stone foundations on the farm houses.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I hope it doesn't rain, you'll be starting over.

And I hope you have insurance and the proper cave in equipment.
View Quote

It's 42" deep. What "cave-in equipment" is required?

OP, I would charge $5,000, so the dude finds someone else to do it. Fuuuuuuck that. I run a manual excavator enough as it is, and I'd rather be dipped in shit than trench that far, that deep.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hell I answered that already, that's how the man wants it done, he wants no power equipment, so the price will increase. Hence my question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because drama.

Unless you are hurting for work I would just give him an outrageous price for it, like ridiculous to even consider. Lots of other guys will do the same and someone will land it at a ridiculous price or some knuckle head will be willing to do it for practically free.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top