Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 10:47:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good post!  Good dad!

I do pretty much the same things.  Sometimes I'll "plant" a gun somewhere and see what they do, always keeping an eye on the scenario.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent topic, Shadowblade.  I agree with what you have done as an example of what should happen in every home.  I have two boys, ages 6 and 8.  For years, I have drilled into them the Eddie the Eagle rules:  If you see a gun, Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the Area, Tell an Adult.  I still test them every now and then by leaving a gun on the bed, or on the floor, or even on their shelves in their room.  Some find that sick, but I just say screw 'em.

Last year, I bought the boys an air rifle, and we practiced safe handling.  The first weekend, we never loaded the gun, but just practiced in the living room:  Don't touch the trigger until ready to fire, never point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy, know your target and what lies beyond.  Then, I had them draw proper sight pictures. Then, dry firing.  Finally, I had them each read and sign a Firearms Safety Contract.

They both love going to the range.  Now, my 8 year old shoots his 10/22 and 22/45.  I started him loading just one round in the magazine, until he got the idea.  Then, two rounds, etc.  He is a shooter!!  Makes me proud when he keeps them in a scoring ring at 50 yards.  He really likes the Bushy, but only for a few rounds.  He doesn't care for the Sig, just a bit large for his hands.  

My younger son has just started asking to go to the range.  I don't push them, but enjoy having them with me.  I firmly believe it is every American's solemn duty to teach their children and their children's friends about gun safety and accuracy.  It is the fear bred from ignorance that provides membership for the anti's.  

My wife doesn't shoot too much, and doesn't really understand why I carry and go to the range so often.  However, she is with me all the way on safety and basic marksmanship for the boys.  Of course, she is a fantastic shot and embarasses me sometimes, so I'm just as happy that she lets guns be a guy thing most of the time!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent read Shadowblade.

Several great tips that I will certianly use for my kids.

My Daughter is 4 and doesn't seem to like guns.  That is fine, I don't plan to push her.

But my son is 2 and has an interest.  He has been shooting teice with me.  .22 pistol and rifle.  Daddy holds the gun and he squeezes the trigger.  

Both of my kids know to come get me or my wife if they find a gun, and most importantly not to touch it.  

I agree education is the key.  Don't let it de a secret or a mistery.  That invites problems, especially since mine are are just a couple of curious monkies.

And their my monkies
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
You are being a good dad.

Unfortunately, my parents were ambivolent towards guns and we (my brother and I) never had toy guns and were never exposed to real ones until both of us went to our respective Basic Training.

Since them, we have taken dad to the rifle range and mom is currently waiting for her CCW to arrive.  Mom likes shooting handguns, but the AR is tough for her, as she is right hand/left eye dominant.  Will have to get her shooting lefty.

I wish they expressed interest earlier, as we could have been shooting together much sooner.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont have kids, but my brother does. My nephew is 6. We left an unloaded Kimber 1911 on the dining room table, and waited in the living room. I asked my nephew for a glass of water....he walked into the other room, came RUNNING back to my brother, and says "Daddy, theres a gun on the table" in the most innocent voice I have ever heard him use!! I alomost fell over!
I think my brother is doing ok.....as we were growing up, I never thought he should be allowed to reproduce!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My guns at home are locked up, but my 3 year old daughter likes to sit at my workbench with me while I clean and/or work on them.  I used the time to teach her the basic Eddie Eagle things about what she should do if she finds a gun, or if she sees another kid playing with one.  Makes me, and more importantly my mildly anti-gun wife, feel better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top