Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3094
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:
I have that Cruwear Shaman too. I guess Cruwear is similar to 3V or 4V. Somewhere in the middle maybe.
View Quote

Which one?

I need to pull my steel chart.

Yeah, Cruwear is right there with 4V. Though IIRC, tougher and harder to sharpen. Cruwear should be more well rounded like Elmax. Which is still most superior.

Elmax all the things!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I've never seen you as a fan boi of one manufacturer or another.
You've been pretty consistent and even in your viewpoints regarding things as long as I've been in this thread.
You're pretty on point with this post too.

By way of comparison, here is my 21 year old Commander.EDC'd while bartending and working EMS. It was used to cut all sorts of stuff. Now relegated to the ZTbagOknives. I really need to clean it and send it into Emerson. I'm not so good with sharpening recurved blades, and it could use it.

It's been used hard over the years, and no chipping and the label is still visible. Granted I never wiped it down with a scotch brite pad, but it's been worn by use.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199644/Commander_3-1791426.jpg
View Quote

I wonder if they turn up the etching due to the coating.

Recurves can be a pain in the ass to sharpen depending OK on the curves size compared to the size of the abrasive
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

Why nervous? Daughter nearby ready to finish the job?

Blue liners?

Lets see a spine shot of that one.
View Quote

She’s probably waiting to finish the job as soon as she’s a teen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By it20:
Reinforced "fiberglass" friday🤣
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333476/20210122_105256_jpg-1791449.JPG
View Quote

Haha. There was a thread elswhere a while  where a guy was trying to get recommendations on those as well as ideas on where to hide multiple of them on his body to go to the airport because he's worried about the flight plus drive to the hotel where he's mailing a bunch of knives ahead of time.

I'm not sure if it was trolling but it was hilarious. He was pondering paying a security guard to frisk him after he positions his tools in various places.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GnarlyDood:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/99775AC0-62BC-4DDA-B55F-DC4FA6FE3F4C_jpe-1792184.JPG
View Quote

ooohhh, and red.

I like!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I wonder if they turn up the etching due to the coating.

Recurves can be a pain in the ass to sharpen depending OK on the curves size compared to the size of the abrasive
View Quote

Actually quite the opposite. It takes way more power to mark a bare steel than it does to remove a coating on a black blade.

What Emerson is doing on their bare steels is using a marking compound to make up for using a lower wattage laser.
My guess is they have a "trophy shop" engraver instead of a high end laser.

The two best laser markings I've seen is from Hinderer and Lionsteel. These two makers are using top notch lasers.

We have an Epilog CO2 and a Teleis Fiber laser at work.
We use them to mark anodized parts. Neither of them can do bare steel without the marking compound either.

So I know a little about laser marking. That's one reason I get a little miffed about my Emerson.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]

ooohhh, and red.

I like!
View Quote

Agreed. I keep trying to figure out which one I like more and it’s always the one that’s in my hand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent my Christmas money on a new letter opener.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Yes, my 4V PM2 is one of my favorites. It has held up well so far. Matter of fact, I have two of them. Ones still NIB.

I'm not ready to proclaim it champion just yet, but so far, 4V is holding its own for toughness and edge retention.

That something you give up is corrosion resistance, which doesn't matter so much with DLC blades.

I have been looking at some of the Bradford fixed blades in 3V. Might be worth a try.
View Quote

The Bradford Guardians are something I've been looking at forever just never bought one.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
And then immediately spent my money on it’s bigger brother

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]

I am fine with that. Amazing concert!!!!!!!

Edit: RIP Lemmy
View Quote

Lemmy was a hellraiser for sure but seemed like a cool guy.

I was listening to the Motorhead cover album the other day on my ride a lot of fun and helped me not think about being cold
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know where I can find an all black Microtech LUDT? Out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Fuck yeah Friday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/ogetvzb7-1791672.jpg
View Quote

I love all the work pics. My work is lame and doesn't allow pictures or knives.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
OK. 4V Friday it is.

https://i.imgur.com/itiwSZh.jpg

I keep forgetting I have a 4V Manix still sitting in the box as well as another one of these for backup.

St. Nick's needs to hurry up and do a Military.
View Quote

I need some 4v in my life.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By evo7011:
Anyone know where I can find an all black Microtech LUDT? Out of stock everywhere.
View Quote

Probably have to go to the secondary or wait for a new batch to come around.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Probably have to go to the secondary or wait for a new batch to come around.
View Quote

(sad stabby noises)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Which one?

I need to pull my steel chart.

https://i.imgur.com/ZYCTY4f.jpg

Yeah, Cruwear is right there with 4V. Though IIRC, tougher and harder to sharpen. Cruwear should be more well rounded like Elmax. Which is still most superior.

Elmax all the things!
View Quote

Supposedly he's going to update the chart soon with some new steels.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Agreed. I keep trying to figure out which one I like more and it’s always the one that’s in my hand.
View Quote

Well, except that one time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

Well, except that one time.
View Quote

True...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/99775AC0-62BC-4DDA-B55F-DC4FA6FE3F4C_jpe-1792184.JPG
View Quote

I like the liner choices
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]

True...
View Quote

Glad to hear it's healing up well. Lots of nerves and ligaments right up by the surface in the hands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Fuck yeah Friday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/ogetvzb7-1791672.jpg

As long we're not fucking off and not getting things done, no one cares.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]

I like the liner choices
View Quote

Gotta give those props to Kuraki. I let him have the reigns but he done good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a metal head but never did much with motorhead, then awhile back I went to a show. Damn damn damn I had been missing out. Those three men made some noise. After the three opening acts were done they came out. Smaller venue, I was in back by the soundboard, not really a mosh pit guy.   They played a couple of songs and really surprised me. Then they introduced themselves and said they play Rock N Roll and didn't think it was loud enough and to turn it up. My clothes were moving and I feel that was the turning point in my deafness 🤪
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Glad to hear it's healing up well. Lots of nerves and ligaments right up by the surface in the hands.
View Quote

Yep. That poor little pinky. I closed a pocket knife on it years ago on the top side and got it stitched up as well. There’s just not a lot of meat between the outside world and bone on fingers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Meager fixed blade contribution and dinner

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a metal head but never did much with motorhead, then awhile back I went to a show. Damn damn damn I had been missing out. Those three men made some noise. After the three opening acts were done they came out. Smaller venue, I was in back by the soundboard, not really a mosh pit guy.   They played a couple of songs and really surprised me. Then they introduced themselves and said they play Rock N Roll and didn't think it was loud enough and to turn it up. My clothes were moving and I feel that was the turning point in my deafness 🤪
View Quote

I never saw Motorhead but I was at this Metallica concert when he came onstage and did a couple of songs with them. It was pretty awesome.

Lemmy & Metallica in Nashville 2009
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Ace Of Spades will never not get cranked when it comes on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Yep. That poor little pinky. I closed a pocket knife on it years ago on the top side and got it stitched up as well. There’s just not a lot of meat between the outside world and bone on fingers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I ran a butter knife (yes, you read that right) through my thumb that nearly hit the bone and stopped on the nail.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Ace Of Spades will never not get cranked when it comes on.
View Quote

I'm more of an Overkill fan. That double bass though...

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Meager fixed blade contribution and dinner

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333476/20210122_200011_jpg-1792281.JPG

View Quote

what happened here?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By cubie:
https://i.imgur.com/hO3vD9Q.jpg
View Quote

we don't usually allow recycling
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]
https://i.imgur.com/KaKoCGy.jpg
View Quote

I thought I was getting Chinese tonight
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Actually quite the opposite. It takes way more power to mark a bare steel than it does to remove a coating on a black blade.

What Emerson is doing on their bare steels is using a marking compound to make up for using a lower wattage laser.
My guess is they have a "trophy shop" engraver instead of a high end laser.

The two best laser markings I've seen is from Hinderer and Lionsteel. These two makers are using top notch lasers.

We have an Epilog CO2 and a Teleis Fiber laser at work.
We use them to mark anodized parts. Neither of them can do bare steel without the marking compound either.

So I know a little about laser marking. That's one reason I get a little miffed about my Emerson.

View Quote

Ohh. I was assuming they'd mark the blade through the coating.

Oof.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, we haven't heard enough about that one.

In theory, 4V should be pretty ideal for a hard use folder, aside from maybe more difficult sharpening. Though with diamonds nothing is too terrible.

Even without the DLC, if it is like 3V, the higher vanadium content should go a long way to staving off corrosion.

I have seen some meat patina on a few of my 3V knives, but no corrosion, at least until I got my most recent CPK. It had been with a collector, so unused, but it had picked up some minor rust under the scales along the edge. Came off with baking soda. Same with the meat patina, came right off with baking soda, but I kinda liked the meat patina. Cool colors.

But other than that, never seen rust on any of my 3V unlike other tool steels which seem to rust magnets for me. (Seriously M4, why'd you have to do me like that? I wanted to love you so badly.)

Do you know if Spyderco does any uncoated 4V? Now I am wondering how it holds up corrosion wise. Don't think I have heard anything yet. Don't know anyone else using it.

I've looked at the Bradford Guardian 3 before myself. Great size and Steel (M390) for that price. The Ranier Fastpak looks sweet too. Still haven't grabbed either for the same reason; they wouldn't displace my Gulsos for carry and not really display items for my case. But I appreciate a lot about them. Don't think I knew Bradford was doing 3V now.

Didn't that Gulso guy say he was going to do his Forester knife in 4V? Actually, didn't he already make a prototype in 4V last year? We should get him in here.
View Quote
I've been looking at the Bradfords ancillary to trying to find a nice wharncliffe blank to make a knife for my dad. Not a lot of options coming up there (1095, Alabama Damascus, little Brisa in one of the Scandi steels). Anyways, the Bradfords look nice and I don't have a single acid wash type finish in spite of thinking it looks awesome.

3V and 4V I haven't played with but for incredible toughness they fit the bill. Being able to use a thinner edge and still use it hard in a way offsets edge retention. 4V sounds to be close to ideal with higher edge retention vs lower toughness and corrosion resistance vs 3V.

But the elephant in the room is 10V, which has the edge retention of s90v and the toughness of Elmax
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#38]

(sad stabby noises)
View Quote

You do a lot of taking. Have you posted any pics to give back?

Microtech runs them in batches. Follow them on IG or FB, maybe they will announce. Sign up for notice on all the websites that carry them and have a notice feature.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Supposedly he's going to update the chart soon with some new steels.

View Quote

What more can there possibly be?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/AF71BAAE-E19C-47C8-88AB-EE3E12E46CD4_jpe-1792225.JPG
View Quote

regular size ultratech is the only one worth a damn
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#41]

what happened here?
View Quote

Chopped ham, Muenster, bread with Parmigiano cheese, scalloped potatoes.

Got home from work wanted to nap, girlfriend had a cousin pass, and the kids wanted food.

Again I love the blade style, haven't really worked the knife much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChicagoFoodie] [#42]

You do a lot of taking. Have you posted any pics to give back?

Microtech runs them in batches. Follow them on IG or FB, maybe they will announce. Sign up for notice on all the websites that carry them and have a notice feature.
View Quote

Fair enough. I only have a few knives currently, an old Benchmade from 2006, Microtech ultratech, and a Red Meat Steel rib tickler. I'll start posting pics in the near future, promise.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I ran a butter knife (yes, you read that right) through my thumb that nearly hit the bone and stopped on the nail.
View Quote

That would take some real effort.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
I've been looking at the Bradfords ancillary to trying to find a nice wharncliffe blank to make a knife for my dad. Not a lot of options coming up there (1095, Alabama Damascus, little Brisa in one of the Scandi steels). Anyways, the Bradfords look nice and I don't have a single acid wash type finish in spite of thinking it looks awesome.

3V and 4V I haven't played with but for incredible toughness they fit the bill. Being able to use a thinner edge and still use it hard in a way offsets edge retention. 4V sounds to be close to ideal with higher edge retention vs lower toughness and corrosion resistance vs 3V.

But the elephant in the room is 10V, which has the edge retention of s90v and the toughness of Elmax
View Quote

Will your dad be able to sharpen any of those?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]
How about some carbide edged weapon tool?  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: it20] [#46]

what happened here?
View Quote

Whisky....Bison Ridge

CRKT Dragon.. .I love the blade style and it feels good in the hand. I haven't used it much.

Edit.....kind of a double post
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Fair enough. I only have a few knives currently, an old Benchmade from 2006, Microtech ultratech, and a Red Meat Steel rib tickler. I'll start posting pics in the near future, promise.

https://i.imgur.com/QixQMPt.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice.

Don't bother with the Bitchmade though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I spent my Christmas money on a new letter opener.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/4E610AAB-494B-49DF-BD38-6B22BFCC91CC_jpe-1792220.JPG
View Quote

I think the translucent scales look pretty neat. Especially on an auto
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#49]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486084/AF71BAAE-E19C-47C8-88AB-EE3E12E46CD4_jpe-1792225.JPG
View Quote

Uh oh.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#50]

regular size ultratech is the only one worth a damn
View Quote

I just got mine and it's much smaller than I expected. I don't see ever wanting one of the even smaller ones. I am probably going to try to trade it for a tanto, though. But I REALLY like the blue.
Page / 3094
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top