Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 10:27:14 AM EDT
I just found out my dog has fleas. She just got done with the bath of her life but I am still finding a few on her. Can anyone recomend a good flea killing shampoo? She is an inside dog mainly(even more so until i get this problem fixed) so I dont need anything really industrial.  I talked to my sister and she takes her dog to the vet every month but her dog stays outside 90% of the time. I dont think i need to go that far just yet. Any comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Sentinel, it is a pill you get from your vet, you give the dog once a month. Sentinel prevents heartworms (which will kill a dog) and while it does not kill fleas it does make them sterile once they bite the dog which prevents the fleas form reproducing so you can eventually get a handle on them.

Not only do you need to bathe the dog but the area where it sleeps. Vacuum the house to get any eggs up and you may need to treat the yard. Keep up the routine until the fleas disappear.

After the fleas are under control the Sentinel pills help keep them from getting a foothold again.

My dog lives inside but has her own dog door into a fenced in yard she comes and goes as she wants. With the Sentinel pills I have not seen a flea on her in over 4 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just found out my dog has fleas....
View Quote

There's a ukulele song about that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
get some frontline. it is available from the vet. it is applied once a month. you put it between their shoulders. it kils fleas and ticks. i think it may be good on fleas for a couple months. but for ticks it has to be once a month.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Frontline and Advantix are the kings of flea control at the clinic where I work. One note about Advantix- DO NOT USE ON CATS.
Both are good products. The big difference to me is that Advantix repels mosquitoes (and kills cats).
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My collie had fleas one time. One time becuase I bought some Frontline and used one serving. Killed all the fleas and they never came back.

Good stuff. Took care of the problem in one dose.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
My doggy used Frontline.

No fleas seen anymore, the stuff is amazing.  Like they all just packed up and left.

No fleas on my sock anymore while walking on the carpet either.

I used to kill those bastard all the time.  Boil them in a glass jar, cut them in half, everything.

Now does anyone know what can be used to totally eliminate thsoe fckn moths?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Frontline.

That stuff is from God.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to Petsmart or Petco and get [b]Adams Flea Spray[/b] It's in the blue spray bottle. And it works great, it kills them very quickly and sends the ones that got away running. Make sure you spray your dog outside though, you don't want them to jump into your carpet ect. And the formula is not oily either!

BTW the pills work good too, but I like to see immediate results.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
use advantage.....it's oily and you rub it on between the shoulder blades.

My 3 never have fleas.

Sentinel is good way too.

-hs
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to have a lab/chow mix (lost the dog at the same time as a GF) that was a flea magnet until I started using Advantage, kept the fleas off no problems at all... err it seemed to make the dog a bit 'loopy' (err, ok, 'more loopy') for a few hours after applying it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the responses. I just ordered some Frontline. Should be here in a few days. I guess until then Ill just keep and eye out. only take her out on a leash.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top