Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2016 6:58:43 AM EDT
She's actually upset that she can't afford San Francisco's rent, and is blaming her landlord after being evicted.

http://kron4.com/2016/02/24/my-kron-4-campbell-family-evicted-from-apartment-after-paying-below-market-rent/
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
She's actually upset that she can't afford San Francisco's rent, and is blaming her landlord after being evicted.

http://kron4.com/2016/02/24/my-kron-4-campbell-family-evicted-from-apartment-after-paying-below-market-rent/
View Quote

Sewell, her 9-year-old son, and their neighbors in a Campbell four-plex were given their required 60-day notices to move out. She understands the $1600 rent is well below market for the area but says they got no warning their building would be getting a new roof during that time.

Sweet Jesus......are you kidding me?????

If you can afford $1600 a month rent, you basically can live in a mansion anywhere else in the US excluding NY and CA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sewell, her 9-year-old son, and their neighbors in a Campbell four-plex were given their required 60-day notices to move out. She understands the $1600 rent is well below market for the area but says they got no warning their building would be getting a new roof during that time.

If you can afford $1600 a month rent, you basically can live in a mansion anywhere else in the US excluding NY and CA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  I pay hundreds less than her, and have one one more bedroom than her, and an acre of land.  Oh, and I have a roof.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upstate NY has some of the best prices on homes in the country
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it costs you your freedom, then it's not worth the expense.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If it costs you your freedom, then it's not worth the expense?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I literally pay $900 less than her on my Mortgage, and I OWN the freaking house!  I have more bedrooms, too.

I would no more live in CA than Commie China.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget people that they generally make more in CA due to cost of living.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
She can stay with me

(jk she seems like a whiny bitch)
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you can afford $1600 a month rent, you basically can live in a mansion anywhere else in the US excluding NY and CA and NJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can afford $1600 a month rent, you basically can live in a mansion anywhere else in the US excluding NY and CA and NJ

Fixed that for you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOAs really bad up there?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe New York in general and the SAFE act specifically is being referenced.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]
in SF on Zillow it says 400 sq/ft studios start at $2k per month, $550 sq/ft 1br at $3k and 800 sq/ft 2br at $4k...

Supply and demand
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's average in Miami for a one bedroom apartment.

Now just think of a State Trooper that is paid $33K a year pr a Corrections Officer making $28K a year having to afford that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I hear the rent in Oakland is cheap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, I literally pay $900 less than her on my Mortgage, and I OWN the freaking house!  I have more bedrooms, too.

View Quote

In before "if you have a mortgage you don't own the house"
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Knowing how kind the govt is to tenants...I'm surprised that a landlord can put a hole in your ceiling exposed to the elements while you're living there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Renters lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it's paid off, you still don't own it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't get this.

Around here, they have a truck with two white guys and a bunch of day laborers and they come in, remove the old roof, repair the wood underneath (if necessary) and re-shingle and weatherproof the whole thing all in one day.  Downspouts might be another day.

As a tenant all you have to do is put up with a bunch of noise and be careful of nails and debris dropped outside.

It sounds like that building is about to fall apart, not just in need of a new roof.

Also, don't be a dick to your landlord or you can expect them to be a dick back. (They might be a dick anyway, but you can only control your own side of the equation.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add Boston area in there...With elec and heat, we pay almost $2,400 in rent just outside of Boston. It is a nice 2 bedroom place; I wish we could live in a mansion for that $$$ though
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#21]
There must be a pole in the Bay Area she could make some money on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Add Boston area in there...With elec and heat, we pay almost $2,400 in rent just outside of Boston. It is a nice 2 bedroom place; I wish we could live in a mansion for that $$$ though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah $1600.00 around here isn't all that much either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#23]
No sympathy. F*ck rent control.

ETA:  Not San Francisco.  She's South Bay and not in a rent control Berkeley or SF.  No wonder why the landlord could boot her.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]
You guys are assuming that pay is equal everywhere.  It's not.  

It sucks that she's getting evicted, but gravy trains don't run forever.  Wherever she ends up, I hope she stays in CA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I lived in an in-law with an on-sight w/d, a balcony and a view of downtown when I lived there going to law school. Why rent was more than my first mortgage in Phoenix.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
In Oklahoma, you can OWN the friggin' 4-plex for a $1,600/month mortgage payment...and if you can make the payment you can bloody hell GET that mortgage around here too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Oklahoma, you can OWN the friggin' 4-plex for a $1,600/month mortgage payment...and if you can make the payment you can bloody hell GET that mortgage around here too.
View Quote

I'd love to live/work in a state that loves freedom but there would be no way I would be able to find employment with the money I make now if I moved away from the Northeast (Boston, NYC). Boston especially, with medical, educational and engineering fields all intersecting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Jesus......I pay $895 a month for a 3 bed 2 bath 1700 square foot home on an acre of land in the county
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

But you'd still be in Oklahoma. Rent is high in the Bay Area is high because,.............wait for it.................people WANT to live there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#30]
1600 gets you a McMansion around here, but doesn't cover the exorbitant HOA fees and high utility bills.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But you'd still be in Oklahoma. Rent is high in the Bay Area is high because,.............wait for it.................people WANT to live there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange how supply and demand work, isn't it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except in KC or Houston or Billings MT. Ask me how I know. $1600 isn't that much for rent these days.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Y
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine is $490.00. I love MS.
Spent three years in SoCal (MCAS El-TORO) NEVER going back to that hell on Earth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Campbell is 55 or so miles south of San Francisco.  It's next to San Jose.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Thread title is way wrong.... Campbell =/= San Francisco.

that's like saying the Grand Canyon is in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Now just think of a State Trooper that is paid $33K a year pr a Corrections Officer making $28K a year having to afford that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Don't live in town
B. Find a job that pays better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#37]
She should quit bitching and get her kid some braces.   Heaven forbid the landlord does repairs to his property.

Hate whiny asshats.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#38]
WOW!

She bitches because the new landlord is putting a new roof over her head.

The debris location in her apartment looked very suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think I could afford to be homeless in San Francisco.  I have no idea how people live in that town.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oakland has the 4th highest rents in the United States. Last year they went up an average of 25%
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mm, you sure about that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only people that don't own property  parrot that bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

She can stay with me

(jk she seems like a whiny bitch)
View Quote
I would not be able to stand that whinny voice.

DUCT TAPE!!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oakland has the 4th highest rents in the United States. Last year they went up an average of 25%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It costs a lot of money to repair stuff when the teens destroy it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't think I could afford to be homeless in San Francisco.  I have no idea how people live in that town.
View Quote

That's the thing. Most people don't. The majority of people live in the east bay or further out and commute to the city for work.

If rent is so damn high, move.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...
My house is paid off, but I've still to pay for those public schools that I don't use... Forever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

A new roof on that house should be a 1 day job, whats the big deal?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#48]
ZFG 87 times to her and her whiny ass opinions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upstate is beautiful, too bad that lib/ghetto politics rule.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

My fiancee and I got into our place 6 years ago at $1500 for a nice one bedroom. Our rent is at $1675 now thanks to rent control. The going rate for our place would now be $3000 a month... double what it was when we first moved in.  

A one bedroom, one bathroom house down the street from us just sold for $800,000.  We're looking at buying soon but it won't be in this neighborhood, we can't afford it. Probably somewhere in Oakland or Albany. 500K is the top of our budget and it will get us 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths if we're lucky.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top