Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2016 10:29:55 PM EDT
Weymouth C. Wanamaker and Uncle Cleve...

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a coffee mug from the first Lewis Grizzard Invitational golf Tourney that the groundskeeper of Turner Field gave me after I talked at length about how much I loved his (Grizzards) writing.

I got to meet him once briefly when I was a teen. Very genuine fellow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I miss Lewis. My older brothers grew up with him in Moreland and his mother taught them in school. Lewis was always fun to be around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably my all time favorite writer.  I read every column the local paper printed and I had several of his books.  We don't have humorists anymore, not like Grizzard anyway.  As far as I'm concerned, we lost a giant in the literary world when he died.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I came here to post ,"That dog would bite you". I see I am too late
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
How about a little learnin' for our Northern members:

Grizzard was one of my favorites!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a little learnin' for our Northern members:
http://youtu.be/imZjCbRuZ3c

Grizzard was one of my favorites!
View Quote

"Naked means you ain't got no clothes on....Nekkid means you ain't got no clothes on and you up to somethin'"

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Get his books. Be prepared to laugh your ass off.

"Cordie Mae Poovie, bigger'n a train wreck."
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
"When I got to though shalt not commit adultrey....I remembered where I left my bicycle."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]

He was from around here and is still a local celebrity.  I'm sure the kids have no idea who he was.

I'm going to have to go to Sprayberry's tomorrow for lunch and get the Lewis Grizzard Special.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss his writing.  

He's a cautionary tale for proper oral hygiene.  He hated going to the dentist, and apparently didn't brush his teeth much either.  They say it killed him by weakening his heart.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Discovered his books my first freshman year in college. He contributed a bit to my lackadaisical attitude at the time.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He was from around here and is still a local celebrity.  I'm sure the kids have no idea who he was.

I'm going to have to go to Sprayberry's tomorrow for lunch and get the Lewis Grizzard Special.  
View Quote
I really wish Sprayberry's was still as good as it was before they stopped cooking BBQ outside on real wood.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really wish Sprayberry's was still as good as it was before they stopped cooking BBQ outside on real wood.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Grandfather on my Dad's side turned us onto Grizzard's humor. My Grandad, while living in Georgia, would send us Grizzard's books.

Funny stuff.  Often quoted.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]
God, I miss his columns!

The one thing in the newspaper that guaranteed some belly laughs.

I miss Calvin & Hobbes and Far Side for the same reason.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Whisky Nazis in the night........

I have all his books

Hope he's with his dog Catfish and his mama
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You ain't lyin'.  I don't eat there much anymore.  Just occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#19]
He's great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their stew is stil pretty decent IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Man that brings back memories.  I lived in Atlanta for several years where I started reading/listening to him.  Sad that he is gone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is quite good.  And it's in the LG Special.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a trick!!! Theys  two of them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top