Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 10:18:01 PM EDT
I work on a military installation/NASA facility and we are required to take safety training and many of the courses contain videos. The Active Shooter video makes my ass itch due to the extra dose of stupid it contains about "improvising weapons" and "act with aggression to disarm and take the shooter down, no matter what".

Why should you have to improvise a weapon out of materials at hand that could defend you against a shooter?  The effective counter measure for an active shooter has been refined and perfected for almost a hundred years.  The stupid is so thick in this advise that you could cut it with a knife (as long as the blade is under 3" that is).

And another thing.  Lets say you have to bust a coworker in the nose over some dumb shit that he pulls.  Could you plead that you were just following the rules set by the company dictated training film? "I thought he was going to shoot up the place" you tell HR with a smirk on your face.

eta stupid video
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh.

ETA What other kind of shooter is there?  Have you been trained on how to deal with inactive shooters?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The reality is that with current carry laws and policies in most workplaces, that's about as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I work for an agency that issued a m&p .40, three mags and ammo.  We have firearms qualifications twice a year.  We were required to watch it too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I only learned to leave my co workers behind watching that.

"Bitch won't move.  Fuck it, leave her and GTFO."

At least that's the message I got from it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I work on a military installation/NASA facility and we are required to take safety training and many of the courses contain videos. The Active Shooter video makes my ass itch due to the extra dose of stupid it contains about "improvising weapons" and "act with aggression to disarm and take the shooter down, no matter what".
Why should you have to improvise a weapon out of materials at hand that could defend you against a shooter?  The effective counter measure for an active shooter has been refined and perfected for almost a hundred years.  The stupid is so thick in this advise that you could cut it with a knife (as long as the blade is under 3" that is).
And another thing.  Lets say you have to bust a coworker in the nose over some dumb shit that he pulls.  Could you plead that you were just following the rules set by the company dictated training film? "I thought he was going to shoot up the place" you tell HR with a smirk on your face.
eta stupid video

https://youtu.be/1ESNae7OoyM
View Quote

SUCH a wonderfully diverse workplace. Think we'll ever see one of these where the shooter ISN'T white?

Another thought: why would anyone who has the means and training work at that facility WITHOUT a firearm, no matter what their policy? There's obviously no metal detectors or door security. Jobs come and go- I've had a lot of them. You only live once.

I regularly spend time in places where you're not supposed to have a gun, with a gun.

If your only other option is to be a sheep, be a wolf.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am glad that I work in an environment where the policy for countering an active shooter just consists of seeking cover and returning effective fire. That greatly simplifies things. I cannot imagine working for anti-gun employers in gun free zones. I really sympathize with those of you who have to deal with that shit. I'd feel like a fish out of water in such an environment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw that video.  If you are in a place with no easy exits and you can't carry, the video is actually a decent one.

The building that I am in is over 500 feet long with exists on both ends and a tight stairwell in the middle.  The fire drills we practice have us moving to the outside stairwells which naturally get clogged up.  The other week management forgot to inform anyone that they were working on the alarm system and the alarm with went off with the message "evacuate the building immediately".  People freaked out bad because the message didn't explain what the threat was.  People didn't know if there was a bomb, a shooter in the building, a fire...etc.  People were leaving but weren't sure about going outside.  As I got to the exit they started informing people it was a false alarm.  Then as people were walking back they were trying to figure out what to do if it was an active shooter and where they would hide because obviously running isn't going to work since the stair wells were clogged.

Of course that got me thinking.  If a shooter wanted to obtain maximum casualties they just need to pull the fire alarm from the center of the building, give it 30 seconds and then shoot everyone in the back they are running to the clogged stairwells.  The building is setup like a shooting gallery with long straight corridors.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Military adopted this as their active shooter policy
Military brass are afraid of allowing armed warriors that may come for them.  
Stay armed: Kill the active shooter by any means necessary.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, that was required watching during drill this past weekend.  I thought of all sorts of comments but kept it to myself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
State Law mandates that I'm allowed to be armed, my employer has no say in it  They tried to make me watch a similar video, I refused on the grounds that I've already had much more advanced training

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a good video. Much better than the old protocol of shelter in place and wait for help to arrive.

Some of you have to remember not everyone is the HSLD SEAL rangers that GD is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you been trained on how to deal with inactive shooters?
View Quote
Inactive shooters, a.k.a. Arfcom'ers?

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Despite what you think Run/hide/fight is good.

A lot of people simply do nothing when bullets start flying.  They freeze up/don't know what to do. Or they are so far in denial they don't realize that someone is actually shooting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
We just had to watch that shit again not too long ago
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Required viewing for the entire Marine Corps

Is it DOD-wide?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh the irony with this video...

Pause it at 1:25.  See that sign?  Texas 30.06 sign, which prohibits CHL holders from carrying concealed.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#18]
You should have watched that video a month ago, you guys at Redstone, I swear...

That video reenforces the fact that gun free zones don't work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pause it at 1:25.  See that sign?  Texas 30.06 sign, which prohibits CHL holders from carrying concealed.

View Quote

Had to be intentional
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this.

Saw this video at a mandatory in-service at work a few months ago and I noticed it right away.

Tells you all you need to know.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top