Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2016 2:27:14 PM EDT
do you guys carry tracer rounds in your load outs?if so,how many and also..will they catch stuff on fire?...sounds dumb i know!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they can catch stuff on fire, but pretty much all rounds will. All the belt feds have tracers in the linked ammo. Some guys carried a mag of tracers, some didn't. Normally it would just be squad leaders or team leaders if anybody did. I don't know of anybody that put them in mags near the bottom as a sign that it was time to reload.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My first deployment I'd been given 20 tracers for my loadout.

I topped off my loaded mag with 5 tracers mostly for when we did VCP's.  All my mags had 2-3 tracers as the last rounds to let me know I needed to reload.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
thats genius!thanks guys!sounds like a solid game plan!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Carried a 20 round magazine that was all tracer.  Used to orient fires. The triangle shape on my PEQ15 was used for the same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
We issue them because we have to, some units won't use them because they work both ways

Not all belt fed ammo have tracers in them. They do catch dry grass on fire

In deployed environments we issue alot of Dim Tracer ammo for use with night vision

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The last three rounds in all my mags were tracers so I knew when it was time to reload.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
a friend of mine gave me a few boxs of them and i wasnt really sure what to do with them.so..i will load them in the bottom of my shtf mags!..again thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
REMEMBER a few things:

They burn HOT......so if you are having a Zombie apocolypse in your house or a dry area---you may be fooked......

The older they are, the more trouble they have igniting...We were using up some Korean War era stuff "found in the back"--they all went Bang, but not all lit.  A smart guy said the chemicals break down over time.

I have also been told they really dislike being stored in damp environments--may or may be an issue in a go bag or something similar.   Also have been told they are TERRIBLE for barrels as they jack up the temp.

I have personal experience with 1 and 2 above, 3 is just hearsay.......Just remember, they are not Black Kats or snap caps, they can and will ruin some stuff.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The will set stuff on fire for sure. I've set ranges on fire at Benning, Stewart, and Bragg. It sucks having to de-link tracer from SAW ammo by hand though.

They do not hurt your barrel. They light at ten to fifteen meters out to help conceal the person firing.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first deployment I'd been given 20 tracers for my loadout.

I topped off my loaded mag with 5 tracers mostly for when we did VCP's.  All my mags had 2-3 tracers as the last rounds to let me know I needed to reload.
View Quote

this +1
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The will set stuff on fire for sure. I've set ranges on fire at Benning, Stewart, and Bragg. It sucks having to de-link tracer from SAW ammo by hand though.

They do not hurt your barrel. They light at ten to fifteen meters out to help conceal the person firing.

View Quote

This.

They typically start burning the tracer element 0.87 seconds after being ignited by the gunpowder.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Last three rounds of each mag and one mag full of tracers for many purposes
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
First mag in the gun was a 20 rd mag of all tracers
If we were planning on being in and out of the vehicles I always preferred using a 20 rd mag in the gun because of the size convenience
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the PEQ 15's and other IR lasers have been available and in use, are tracers even necessary?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been issued 20 tracers on every deployment.  I always kept them at the bottom of a mag to I would know when I was about to run dry, unless I was a gunner for a mission.  

If I was a gunner in a vehicle I kept a mag or two with the tracers at the top of the mag for Escalation of Force reasons.

Yes they do catch stuff on fire.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I think we did every 4th round was a tracer for the M4 in 2007,  I was security forces AF.  Makes sense for dudes going out to do the last few rounds as tracers
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually did 1 every 3-4 rounds and the last few all tracers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since the PEQ 15's and other IR lasers have been available and in use, are tracers even necessary?
View Quote

daytime?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

REMEMBER a few things:

They burn HOT......so if you are having a Zombie apocolypse in your house or a dry area---you may be fooked......

The older they are, the more trouble they have igniting...We were using up some Korean War era stuff "found in the back"--they all went Bang, but not all lit.  A smart guy said the chemicals break down over time.

I have also been told they really dislike being stored in damp environments--may or may be an issue in a go bag or something similar.   Also have been told they are TERRIBLE for barrels as they jack up the temp.

I have personal experience with 1 and 2 above, 3 is just hearsay.......Just remember, they are not Black Kats or snap caps, they can and will ruin some stuff.

View Quote
On reloading for tracers, have read "hotter" powder should be used to ensure ignition.  Don't know if factory does this or not.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Sometimes.

Almost always carried a full mag of them, though...to mark targets if need be.

Not that the fucking pilots could see them apparently...called in support one night so they could scan some rooftops for us...so was trying to point them down the right road...we had given them a grid, direction, how many buildings in, etc...finally told them I'd put some tracers down the road I wanted them to scan.

What happened? I fired around 10 rounds down the road, at night, as the choppers were coming up from behind me.

Didn't see a goddamned thing.

After that I usually just carried 855...fuck it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I was a Zoomie and we carried a 4:1 ratio of ball to tracers.  On my Iraq deployment the turret gunners had a full mag of tracers in their M4s.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

daytime?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

daytime?

So they are as effective in daylight as night?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

daytime?

For EOF stuff, tracers and visible lasers are less effective in the daytime because there is less contrast in the light compared to using either at night.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes Tracers will cause fires,

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
First mag in the gun was a 20 rd mag of all tracers
If we were planning on being in and out of the vehicles I always preferred using a 20 rd mag in the gun because of the size convenience
View Quote

This.

Once I did more dismounted operations, I went to a 30 round mag with 100% tracer as my up mag.

I had 2 additional tracer mags and 4 mags with ball only.  I didn't mix them and didn't put tracer in the bottom of my ball mags.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Did the last few rounds in the mag to let you know you're about to go dry thing actually work?

I've read some books where people said they did that and never noticed the tracers anyway, and some people who were concerned about it letting the enemy know they were going dry (although I'd think some folks would be to busy to notice that either).
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did the last few rounds in the mag to let you know you're about to go dry thing actually work?

I've read some books where people said they did that and never noticed the tracers anyway, and some people who were concerned about it letting the enemy know they were going dry (although I'd think some folks would be to busy to notice that either).
View Quote

I don't know anybody who did.  5.56 tracers during the day you can hardly see as a shooter anyway.

I used tracers to scare bad guys in a react to contact.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup. Mag O' tracers for orientation of fires. I know Vehicle apolstery will catch on fire from tracers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For EOF stuff, tracers and visible lasers are less effective in the daytime because there is less contrast in the light compared to using either at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

daytime?

Where is was going with my question about the PEQ's is that at least at night time, wouldn't not using tracers and only using NODs and PEQs not advertise the shooters location to the enemy?

Provided of course the enemy does not have their own NODs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think yes. The PEQ15 tells me which way I'm aiming, the tracers tell me if i'm hitting. Tracers were part of the escalation of force. You would fire a tracer round in the direction of a vehicle that would not stop.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

It works better with the M196 red tracers which ignite almost immediately than with the M856 orange tracers which ignite a short distance downrange.  I doubt M196 is still issued, though, since it was for the M16/M16A1, not the heavier bullets in the A2.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
do you guys carry tracer rounds in your load outs?if so,how many and also..will they catch stuff on fire?...sounds dumb i know!
View Quote

My first deployment..we did a lot of missions at night...

IR lasers are nice...and tracers work both ways....so we didn't use them.

But we did make a giant red metal laser one night..with all the 5.56 tracer we didn't use....
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think yes. The PEQ15 tells me which way I'm aiming, the tracers tell me if i'm hitting. Tracers were part of the escalation of force. You would fire a tracer round in the direction of a vehicle that would not stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tracers...or a flare pen...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top