I'm just wondering

I've always owned dirt bikes for the most part but sport quads look fun

Which is best off the track?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Things may have changed in the last 10 years....but my vote is the Honda 450r
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't be gay. Stick to bikes like the men.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Raptor 700

Fucking loved mine!

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Banshees and raptors are two big or to heavy. Sucks hainving to throw one around compared to some of the others. As far as cross country racing goes at least, if you're just trying to putt around them it's not that big a deal. Fuck Polaris because Honda is best. Fuck two strokes, a lot of races have been won on built 450's. You don't need to mix gas and make annoying noise while trying to constantly stay in the power band. Good torque, parts availability, reliable, the right weight, the Honda 450 does it all.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry pal, annoying noise is not BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry pal, annoying noise is not BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPP.
View Quote
Oh no, BRAAAAAAPPP! Is a beautiful sound. The ringing, dinging, pinging, and screaming of the jackass on a 2 stroke that can't keep a good pace in front of you on the trail is annoying.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want something fast, get the Banshee (you will spend some $$$$ to get it fast)

If you want some reliable fun, get the 450R

The 250R (three wheeler is always a hoot)
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want something fast, get the Banshee (you will spend some $$$$ to get it fast)

View Quote

The Banshee is fast in a straight line...but they are a dated design from the '80's, so you will need a lot of suspension work to get it to handle...

OP, if you want good suggestions, I suggest you let us know where and how you will be riding

Sand dunes, Baja, or the woods....big differences there!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Banshee is fast in a straight line...but they are a dated design from the '80's, so you will need a lot of suspension work to get it to handle...

OP, if you want good suggestions, I suggest you let us know where and how you will be riding

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Myself and my friends have had very good luck with the Raptors on long trips up and down the Baja peninsula. We all started with 660's.
On some of the later trips a few guys upgraded to 700's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know that a stock 450R or 525 will smoke a stock Banshee, right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Open fields hill climbs with roots....Creek beds trailz

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had several of both Banshees and 250R's.  The old 250R was very hard to beat, on and off track.  But its time has passed, its still a good quad but mostly due to being almost 30 years old it takes a lot of wrenching to keep em going.  The Banshees are awesome in the wide open, and come alive with minor mods.  But I think the 450s 4 strokes are were its at now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know I said "you will spend some $$$$ to get it fast" right???

Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a Banshee. I have four of them a 450R, as well as some other quads.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Fine I'll play. If you're going new, get a KTM 525. If you're going used and a little older, get a damn yfz450. Best production 450 ever made.

Eta: if you get a quad, make sure you keep your bikes for when you get bored from not being able to go on the good trails.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quads are for donuts in the gravel parking lot flinging rocks at everyone's car.

Real men ride bikes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had several of both Banshees and 250R's.  The old 250R was very hard to beat, on and off track.  But its time has passed, its still a good quad but mostly due to being almost 30 years old it takes a lot of wrenching to keep em going.  The Banshees are awesome in the wide open, and come alive with minor mods.  But I think the 450s 4 strokes are were its at now.
View Quote

+1

You'll be happy with nearly any 450cc. I personally had a Honda 450R and found it to be better all around than say a Yamaha 450 (YZF i think). The Yahmahas always seemed too low and stiff for my tastes. Also, I had multiple friends with Yamahas and they seemed to get hung up on obstacles more than me and my fellow 450r friends. Sit on them all and see what you like.

Nerf bars...get them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptor.  

Has the torque for hill climbs, although it does sit just a bit higher than the 450's.  

Creek bed trails sound like a lot of rocks to me.  The Raptor has plenty of torque for 22" tires for added clearance.  

And mine was still faster than the 450's in a 300' drag
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Raptor 700

But I can't help to love the Banshee, too. That scream, doe
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nerf bars...get them.
View Quote

No.  They are a pain in the ass and are a hindrance to riding.  Good for the track...not for real trail riding IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#22]
250r's are incredible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends on what you're doing with it.

My 660 raptor built to a 720 is a torque monster and will scare the shit out of you if you aren't expecting it to stand straight up.

My brother's alcohol banshee is a high strung bastard that will scare the shit out of you when you hit the power band.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#24]
The 250r was a blast to ride back in the day but the 450r is the winning choice here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#25]
For where your wanting to ride

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Most impressive four wheeler I've ever ridden, and I'm a Yamaha guy, is a built 500 Quadracer. Sick.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Can Am Renegade 1000R
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Hard to beat a 450r. Hillclimber that i parted out last year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd sell my Raptor 700 but I'll never sell my Banshee
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#30]
2 strokes are a pain in the ass in the woods. I also hate having to rebuild them often.

4 stroke Honda 400ex or 450 is the way to go. The 700's a more fun but can be too big and heavy at times.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't be gay. Stick to bikes like the men.
View Quote

This guy gets it.

Two wheels are > four
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Raptor 700 for the win. Here in Wisconsin, some of us ride in the winter on the ice. The Raptor 700 is perfect for this. The perfect combination of power and agility. Stud the tires and you're golden.

We ride with a couple of 450R's and those things constantly have issues. IMO, there bread for the track, not constant wide open throttle when you're flying down the river.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have experience with other quads, but currently own (2) 2009 raptor 700r's.  These were my first quads, but they work great for hill climbs, trails, etc.  Mine are fuel injected which is great in the rocky mountains.  I picked the raptor for instant torque going up hills, the fuel injection (no need tuning), and having reverse is a very nice feature.  They are a little bulky and I would recommend only for people with a little upper body strength to man handle them or some past experience riding to allow turning via throttle / slip.  They do not work very well in snow versus the 4 wheel drives, but for fun they can not be beat.  On dirt / gravel at 9000' elevation, I can hit the throttle and spin the rear tires from idle in 3rd gear (stock gearing and no performance add on's).

-Ryan
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
YFZ 450
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#35]
You can keep those. I'll take the can-am renegade 1000R for the win.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I vote two wheels (street legal dirt bikes, DS) for a few reasons.

Ease of getting to and from fun places. Gear up and go
No trailer....less $$$$$
No truck,   Less $$$$$
Better skill levels learned.

Plus for quads is taking peeps along....wives, gf's and kids....and food and beer.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Go all the way:

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#39]

If you do don't believe the old 250 R is the most fun in general, you're broken and can't be helped.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a shame the Quadzilla had a short production run.

Always wanted one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/fiestcr/001-1.jpg

If you do don't believe the old 250 R is the most fun in general, you're broken and can't be helped.
View Quote

That is super clean.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quads are for those who can't ride dirt bikes.

QUADTARDS!

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#43]

That was my first of many sport/racing quads, 1987 250x, back when I was 13 years old, it was nearly brand new!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/fiestcr/001-1.jpg

View Quote

Back in the day, I ran over myself more than once on one of those.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#45]
So anyways

I may need help uploading these

Never get it to work anymore

Let me try

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No.  They are a pain in the ass and are a hindrance to riding.  Good for the track...not for real trail riding IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nerf bars...get them.

I appreciated not running over my own legs when my feet inevitably fell off the pegs. Most of time it was jumps but even flipping after an over zealous slide, they saved me some pain. I didn't do much slow trail riding with it because it's simply not made for it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I did own a Honda 300ex for a short time

I wrecked it the 1st day I rode it and sold it for a dirt bike
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So anyways

I may need help uploading these

Never get it to work anymore

Let me try

http://imgur.com/gt5DuUQ
View Quote

A fucking Polaris?  

I don't know you anymore...
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I appreciated not running over my own legs when my feet inevitably fell off the pegs. Most of time it was jumps but even flipping after an over zealous slide, they saved me some pain. I didn't do much slow trail riding with it because it's simply not made for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nerf bars...get them.

To each their own.  Been riding for over 20 years and have never had my feet slip off the pegs...racing or not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#50]
The outlaw 525 is an excellent choice. I had an '08 outlaw 525 IRS and it was a beast,it would run with my buddy's raptor 700 and it rode better.
Nice choice op!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top