BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2015 3:49:42 PM EDT
Was it fun?

Expensive?

Recommendations?

Would you do it again?

I am interested in taking my wife and kids (2 boys - 11 and 9)

I would like to go a little off the beaten path, if possible.  Don't want to stay in a fancy resort.  I don't think three is such a thing as an undiscovered gem.  We are looking for something that is not ultra-touristy

And... go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW what a huge question !
There are at least 25 different countries in the area you mention. So you present a big question.

Depends on what you mean by fun, touristy, expensive.
There are no theme parks, etc. So it also depends on what you mean by touristy.
The less touristy you go, the less touristy things there are to do. Resorts = Facilities.
Countries like Tahiti are the most touristy, Pretty but full of Americans.

Food is always expensive, but otherwise you can always find a place to your budget.

For example, here is a photo of a lodge in Tonga. Out of the way, Pretty. But also in the photo is the full list of activities.
Cost of accommodation is around USD$80-90 per night. But it will be expensive to get there.
http://matafonua.com/
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Was it fun?

Yes. Exotic, beautiful, and spectacular.

Expensive?

Hell yes.

Recommendations?

Moorea....Tahiti's neighboring island....less than 20 miles west across the Sea of the Moon.
Bora Bora. To the northwest of Tahiti. Exotic, but not as nice as Moorea. Way more expensive too.

Would you do it again?

Absolutely

go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be cool to visit
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Long Island, Bahamas. Not many people especially off season. Cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are at least 25 different countries in the area you mention. So you present a big question.

The less touristy you go, the less touristy things there are to do. Resorts = Facilities.

Food is always expensive, but otherwise you can always find a place to your budget.

For example, here is a photo of a lodge in Tonga. Out of the way, Pretty. But also in the photo is the full list of activities.
Cost of accommodation is around USD$80-90 per night. But it will be expensive to get there.
http://matafonua.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20150917-DJI_0243-Pano-1920x675.jpg
View Quote

Cousin and his wife went to Matafonua Lodge and absolutely loved, definitely on my top 5 list.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go to Long Island, Bahamas. Not many people especially off season. Cheaper.
View Quote

Nope, thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been to Wake, Guam, Pago Pago, Kwajelien, and Johnston Atoll...none of which would really qualify for a vacation hotspot (unless you're Japanese), but think taking the kids to an island would be a great adventure for them.

I've heard nice things about Fiji.   Or maybe Tahiti, perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://matafonua.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20150917-DJI_0243-Pano-1920x675.jpg
View Quote

Yes, I know it is a very open ended question (Sorry)

I just want to stay in a grass hut, eat and drink, and snorkel in the water  :-)
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been to Wake, Guam, Pago Pago, Kwajelien, and Johnston Atoll...none of which would really qualify for a vacation hotspot (unless you're Japanese), but think taking the kids to an island would be a great adventure for them.

I've heard nice things about Fiji.   Or maybe Tahiti, perhaps?
View Quote

Mrs. Scratch45 is Japanese - so my kids are half.  That means means out of the fours of use, 2 Japanese would be going (1 + 1/2 + 1/2)
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear Haiti is a paradise for those on a budget.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, I know it is a very open ended question (Sorry)

I just want to stay in a grass hut, eat and drink, and snorkel in the water  :-)
View Quote

Lots of good places for that.
Look into Vanuatu, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Niue, Rarotonga.

Fiji has the most resorts, followed by Vanuatu, and then the rest.
All have huts that you can sit on the beach, and swim/snorkel/dive

You will get a lot of Tahiti suggestions, because this is an American website.
It is a lovely location, Nice hotels, etc, and will give you a good Pacific Island 'themed' experience. You will have the advantage that you can say I have been there, when Tahiti appears in a romantic comedy movie.
Also because it is a pacific theme experience, it will feel like you are in a movie.

But your money would be better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You will need to cHeck and see how much damage was sustained after last years typhoon, but my family and I have had fun in Saipan. The Pacific Island Club ran a great buffet, beer and wine included, and the attached water park was lots of fun for the kids. Babysitting was easy to find and the wife and I did some world class snorkeling. There is a small but good museum run by the NPS about the battle. I got a good tour guide who showed us around the highlights and lesser known aspects of the battle. You can pop across the channel to Tinian and see where the A-bomb was loaded into the Enola Gay.  Neat submarine tour of the lagoon to vie tropical fish, coral blooms, downed Kate bombers and sunken ships.   The island is economically challenged but we had a very good time there. As I said, you would need to check on the typhoon damage first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top