Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2015 7:12:32 PM EDT
I'm a survivalist newbie. I've got Plenty of guns and ammo to arm a small militia but lacking in the the food/water/medical department. With a $150 budget not including shipping what should be my priorities? I understand water is a must but how much? Canned foods, how much? Please include the ideal quantity for the said party mentioned below. I am single but if things were to get ugly I would most likely be bunking with my immediate family(5 other adults and 1 child).

Thank you for all info!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm a survivalist newbie. I've got Plenty of guns and ammo to arm a small militia but lacking in the the food/water/medical department. With a $150 budget not including shipping what should be my priorities? I understand water is a must but how much? Canned foods, how much? Please include the ideal quantity for the said party mentioned below. I am single but if things were to get ugly I would most likely be bunking with my immediate family(5 other adults and 1 child).

Thank you for all info!
View Quote
It all depends on where you are, what your plans are, your level of training, your responsibilities, age.....and on and on.

Questions like this are impossible to get answered on the 'net, honestly. Best bet is to start by getting training. With proper training, you'll be able to make the right decisions on what kind of gear and supplies to start stocking.

Then again, this being GD....$150 for one cheap hooker, and some blow and you're good to go.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
55 gallon drum of rice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
To start:

Rice

Beans

Rice

Beans

Rice

Beans

Until you have 90 days, then keep adding..
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get a leopard print speedo, and an American flag. A big one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand. I honestly should have mentioned that I am looking for a general answer as I realize how specific one could be with the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get a leopard print speedo, and an American flag. A big one.
View Quote

Don't forget the tube socks....and you better be able to sing.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Survial Discussion forum
Survival Guide Forum
Survival Gear Forum

You will probably get more and better help in those forums.
Some dicks in GD will just try and troll you.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Properly packed 5 gallon bucket of beans, another of rice, some multi-vitamins, and spices.  Add in a propane fried turkey setup and some iodine pills.  55 gallon food grade drums are nice, too.

I'm a novice, though...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Survial Discussion forum
Survival Guide Forum
Survival Gear Forum

View Quote

Shit! Sorry, I thought there was a forum for that here and couldn't find it prior to posting my question. Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shit! Sorry, I thought there was a forum for that here and couldn't find it prior to posting my question. Thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Survial Discussion forum
Survival Guide Forum
Survival Gear Forum

You're welcome, they're located under the outdoors tab.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
With a $150 budget not including shipping what should be my priorities?
View Quote

SHTF means different things to different people.Start with the likeliest situation, and build on that. Which is likelier: a large earthquake, or you losing your job and being out of work for 6 months?

Prepare for the likeliest calamity, then add on for other situations. Twenty guns and a thousand rounds each won't help much when you are handed your pink slip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SHTF means different things to different people.Start with the likeliest situation, and build on that. Which is likelier: a large earthquake, or you losing your job and being out of work for 6 months?

Prepare for the likeliest calamity, then add on for other situations. Twenty guns and a thousand rounds each won't help much when you are handed your pink slip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
With a $150 budget not including shipping what should be my priorities?

They help when you get revenge on those pesky people at the office
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Start here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/17_Survival_Discussions.html

As far as specific recommendations go, prioritize those situations that are most likely and the items that will get you through those situations. Which is most likely - a Max-Max style collapse, or a water main break requiring a boil order? Zombie apocalypse or ice storm which strands you with no food or power for a week.

Since it sounds like you have the "personal defense" gear covered, focus on the things that keep you alive - water, food, heat, etc. For $150, you can put away a good short-term stash of bottled water, canned food, propane stove, etc. Think camping and basic necessities first, then expand to longer-term solutions like water filtration, long-term food storage, basic medical supplies, etc.

That $150 needs to be the initial investment and not a one-off expense, because preparedness is an ongoing process, not a shopping list. Planning, training, practice, physical fitness, supply rotation, etc. all require conscious effort and commitment. That being said, even a couple hundred bucks worth of food and water will put you ahead of most folks out there.

With that initial budget, focus on calorie-dense foods that you will actually eat. The beans/rice/wheat thing is great for long-term storage, but unless you are accustomed to preparing and eating those foods, you may want to start with regular foods that you eat on a daily basis. It also makes the initial steps simpler as it's easy to drop a few extra of product "x" in the cart when shopping (makes rotation easier as well). Eat what you store and store what you eat is a good mantra, especially when just starting out.

This advice is geared to a "shelter in place" mentality which for most folks is the best place to start. If you are planning on taking off and traveling, the rules change.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Caned food is a horrible idea if you planning on moving if SHTF. You'll be able to carry maybe 30,000 calories if you are in shape. Freeze dried, dehydrated, etc...
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To start:

Rice
Beans
Rice
Beans
Rice
Beans

View Quote

This. It may not be great for variety but you'll be eating when others won't. Ability to access clean water is next. In a disaster, most people die of dehydration from drinking bad water that gives em the shits, than die from anything else including the actual disaster.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies, exactly what I was looking for. Please proceed with the usual GD type comments though. Daily dose of laughter is more than half the battle!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Water storage containers and the supplies necessary to keep the water safe.
Beans
Rice
Sanitation
Medicine
Lighting
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
rather than re-posting, here's a guide i wrote for family members and close friends who were asking for similar advice.  this is how i first approached things.  my setup has evolved a bit since then, but the basic organization is the same.  the main idea is that other than the gun stuff and electronics, this is very inexpensive.  i can almost guarantee you that you already own at least half the stuff.  i also follow the $10 rule.  every time i go to the store, i spend 10 extra dollars on emergency items (beans, batteries...whatever).  it's weird at first, but once you have a budget and an idea what to do with it, this quickly becomes a habit.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/623298_Sent_out_a_preparedness_gear_primer_to_the_family.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
rather than re-posting, here's a guide i wrote for family members and close friends who were asking for similar advice.  this is how i first approached things.  my setup has evolved a bit since then, but the basic organization is the same.  the main idea is that other than the gun stuff and electronics, this is very inexpensive.  i can almost guarantee you that you already own at least half the stuff.  i also follow the $10 rule.  every time i go to the store, i spend 10 extra dollars on emergency items (beans, batteries...whatever).  it's weird at first, but once you have a budget and an idea what to do with it, this quickly becomes a habit.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/623298_Sent_out_a_preparedness_gear_primer_to_the_family.html
View Quote

FANTASTIC!  Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
50 lb sack of rice
2 x 20 lb bags of beans

Total cost - $55.

Now you  have $95 to buy other things.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
The Sawyer mini water filter is a great investment as well.  Will never wear out, can fit on the end of a standard water bottle and you can pick it up for under $20.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
$150 is a start, but it won't get you far.

What are you preparing for?
What are your weaknesses?
You really have to know your reasonable risks so that you can plan for them.
Spending $1000's of dollars for guns for revolution when you can't pay your mortgage is an example of risk assessment gone wrong.

Are you addicted to anything? Find free programs to stop your addictions.
Are you overweight? Start walking, running lifting heavy things to lose weight - it free!
Are you Financially stable? If you have lots of debt, sell whatever you can (including most guns) to get out of it.
Spiritually strong? Get with a church community?
Emotionally unstable? Get counseling.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To start:

Rice
Beans
Rice
Beans
Rice
Beans

View Quote

Yup.   $150 is not going to buy enough prepackaged survival food.  
I would also throw in 22lr (if you can find it) and birdshot shells.
You can kill a lot of food with those two.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Minimum 2 gallons of water per person/per day.  Minimum.  I'd plan for 3.  Water is a higher priority than food.  Buy food on sale that you will EAT on rotation.

Ask yourself what you would do if you lost power, water and use of the car for a week or more.

Work through the lists in the SF and focus on the BASICS - not cool stuff.  Lots of ammo isn't going to do you any good if you lack clean water, basic food, matches and hygiene.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#26]
8 gallons of water
7 cans of beans

anything more is waste, anything less is not enough
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
55 gallon drum of rice.
View Quote

And some chicken bullion cubes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Sawyer mini water filter is a great investment as well.  Will never wear out, can fit on the end of a standard water bottle and you can pick it up for under $20.
View Quote

I have this in my amazon wish list from the other day, I ran across that.
Also looks like a gallon of chlorox is a better choice than the expensive water pills.

I have invested in large water storage with the long term water treatments.  But that will run low after a week, plus large water storage is NOT mobile by any means.

I am working on filling in the gaps of our plan, looking for weaknesses.  
Its a never ending process really, most survival stuff and some first aid stuff is limited shelf life, so you always have to be aware of that aspect too.

I have some old backpacks(BOB) I am upgrading to sturdier molle type backpacks, lots of good stuff available compared to 20 years ago when I got these older packs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$150 is a start, but it won't get you far.

View Quote

nonsense.  in terms of food and water, that's more than a start.  rice is around $0.03/oz.  dried beans are around $0.10/oz.  canned tuna starts at $0.15/oz, and salmon/chicken/beef/ham is about a nickel more.  there are your major calorie groups (protein/carbs) right there, and then canned fruit/veg starts at about $0.05/oz.  these numbers are pulled right off of walmart's online grocery order page, not some membership-only or survival supply store.  with $149 and a plan, a guy should be able to walk out of the store with 6 weeks to 2 months' worth of shelf-stable, nutritious food.  the other dollar will go towards filling used milk jugs with tap water--you should get a few hundred gallons for that amount.

i agree that there's a lot of questions the OP needs to figure out, and you point out some good ones.  but prepping isn't some fancy, esoteric thing that needs to cost a lot of money.  we need water and calories.  so figure out how to translate the minimum amount of dollars into the maximum water and calories.  it's pretty simple--we've just made it difficult by overthinking and tacticalizing it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#30]

I'm wanting to get some prepackaged food.  First, get some to try and then buy more and start eating it for one or two meals a week.  What survival food is the tastiest?  And is it good enough that you would be willing to eat it even though you didn't have to?

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#31]
couple bags of rice, gallon of olive oil, 20 pounds of salt, 10,000 strike anywhere kitchen matches, 100 rolls of toilet paper, and top up the heating oil tank.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm wanting to get some prepackaged food.  First, get some to try and then buy more and start eating it for one or two meals a week.  What survival food is the tastiest?  And is it good enough that you would be willing to eat it even though you didn't have to?

View Quote

Mountain house is not bad.    It's damn expensive though.
I buy Sure-pak cases off amazon.   They company makes MREs but the sure-pak meals have a little less calories and no gum,tobasco,or toilet paper.

$88  for 12 meals with heaters.
http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Pak-Meals-Ready-Survival-Emergency/dp/B00899Z95A/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1449728296&sr=1-1&keywords=sure-pak

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#33]
If it hasn't been mentioned yet spend this initial $150 on water purification gear.

Food will only keep you going so long. You need to be able to use what water you can find. A 55 gallon drum of water won't last long.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:19:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mountain House food is actually very tasty.  It is fairly expensive though if not bought in large quantities.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I buy Sure-pak cases off amazon.   They company makes MREs but the sure-pak meals have a little less calories and no gum,tobasco,or toilet paper.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91yKARBT48L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Pak-Meals-Ready-Survival-Emergency/dp/B00899Z95A/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1449728296&sr=1-1&keywords=sure-pak

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91yKARBT48L._SL1500_.jpg

Dang.  I can't see paying $7 a meal to eat MRE's.  Just how bad are the cheap options?  

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:44:45 AM EDT
[#36]
http://readynutrition.com/  Go here and start reading.Tons of info and interactive tools to help plan your food storage.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#37]
To everyone who stockpiles large amounts of rice and beans, are you stockpiling fuel to cook them? Or just plan on using wood?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#38]
slim jims..lots of slim jims...and 50 .22 rounds
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To everyone who stockpiles large amounts of rice and beans, are you stockpiling fuel to cook them? Or just plan on using wood?
View Quote

And water.

Same for MH or Wise or whatever. Takes clean water to prepare the stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#41]
ammo availability: try gunbot.net
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And water.

View Quote

Yes, I have the Augason Farms 30 day pails, and stockpile an additional 20 gallons per month and fuel to boil the water.

I have a feeling it would take a lot of fuel to cook a month's worth of rice and beans.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And water.

Wise meals suck.   Just take lots of salt and oatmeal if you plan on eating wise meals.
MREs best the hell out of that mush.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Will $150 put in a well (with hand pump) at your place or where you are likely to bug out to?  Access to clean water is vital.  

Heck in a disaster you can trade clean water for food.  Or gain a shit ton of good will from your neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a great reminder on what we can improve on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wise meals suck.   Just take lots of salt and oatmeal if you plan on eating wise meals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And water.

I agree 100%. Wise is awful TVP garbage. But it seems to be popular for some reason. Just by being so available I suspect.

But again, for an initial $150 I would buy Berkey filters, Life Straws, and camp bag or double bucket systems.

It's fine and good to have a 55 gal. barrel or two of water, flats of bottled water. But that isn't going to last forever or even very long.

Boiling water is fine but takes fuel.

$150 can buy some good gear that will make the local creek or lake water safe to consume.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I agree 100%. Wise is awful TVP garbage. But it seems to be popular for some reason. Just by being so available I suspect.

But again, for an initial $150 I would buy Berkey filters, Life Straws, and camp bag or double bucket systems.

It's fine and good to have a 55 gal. barrel or two of water, flats of bottled water. But that isn't going to last forever or even very long.

$150 can buy some good gear that will make the local creek or lake water safe to consume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And water.

Wise is cheaper and they run infomercials at night.
You can get mountain house at a lot of walmarts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes.  wood and propane.

IMO, it's important to think of food as part of the energy equation, rather than a separate thing.  food energy and fuel energy are connected.  it takes either food or fuel to gather either food or fuel, if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Berkey water filter systems are the way to go.  At least get their black filters and use your own buckets.

http://www.getberkey.com/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top