User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long time pharmacist at CVS, and now working for an independent. CVS is A LOT higher cash price than just about anywhere. Walgreens is about what and what with CVS.  Walgreens has a discounted list and so does CVS that you can buy into. Walmart has their discounted list, but those drugs are all dirt cheap anyway.  The independents can set their price, and for the most part on all maintenance meds, we are cheaper than the big chains. Some meds I recently changed the price to beat about everyone, like a certain weight loss med that runs 38 bucks at CVS, I dropped out price to 12 bucks last week.
View Quote

CVS will take you to the fucking cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yep, $4 for 30, $10 for 90.  Check the list here.

ETA- your BP drug isn't on there but there are some similar.  If it's going to save you that kind of loot it might be worth talking to your doctor to see if you could be using a $4 med instead of a $50 med.  I fix printers and know nothing of note about medicine but I've had my doctor modify prescriptions for reasons of cost.  He might have a reason to prefer one med over another though and I'd respect his opinion if he thought the pricier one was a better fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wal-Mart has so far been the most affordable for me but now I Have to look at Costco...

Walmart has a rather decent selection of prescription drugs available for $4 a script.  I don't know what their prices are like on drugs off that list though.  Definitely worth comparing.
When you say $4 script, is that 30 day supply?

Yep, $4 for 30, $10 for 90.  Check the list here.

ETA- your BP drug isn't on there but there are some similar.  If it's going to save you that kind of loot it might be worth talking to your doctor to see if you could be using a $4 med instead of a $50 med.  I fix printers and know nothing of note about medicine but I've had my doctor modify prescriptions for reasons of cost.  He might have a reason to prefer one med over another though and I'd respect his opinion if he thought the pricier one was a better fit.
He already took me off benicar because I was complaining how expensive it was. Like I said in an earlier post I am happy paying less than $20.00 for a 6 month supply. Also the new meds has my bp down to an average of 125/75.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
GoodRx +87,000
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't buy a toothbrush, a pack of trail mix, and an ACE bandage at Walgreens for less than $30
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Walgreens..... swipe your club card everytime you visit and get like .02 in benefits. Now I tell them I don't have one, they look like I broke their hearts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a 7 series Omron wrist blood pressure monitor from Target for $53.00. Walgreens had it priced at $89.00.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll give goodrx a look. I've got one led I'd like to see a better price on.

And op got the click after I opened this thread. Nasty looking avatar bro.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wal-Mart has so far been the most affordable for me but now I Have to look at Costco...
View Quote
My mom is in assisted living and through their pharmacy we save a bunch even over Walmart prices. I can't believe the markup on the same thing from different places.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Costco and Sam's Club are the cheapest place to buy prescription drugs in the USA. Walmart is higher, and in some cases quite  bit higher.

As noted by the OP, you don't need a membership to buy prescription drugs at either Costco or Sam's Club. Just tell the guy by the door you are dropping off or picking up a prescription medication.  They know about the exemption for requiring a membership to buy prescription drugs. It's a Federal law.I bought them at Sam's Club for years, and never had any problem of any kind.

This is an excellent PSA, OP.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Our insurance plan decides where we fill our scripts.
View Quote

Yep.  

Most of my pills are free.  Insurance covers, 100%. The rest are flat copay.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been buying my prescription drugs from Walgreen for years. Today I decided to do a price comparison to Costco. The three prescriptions that I take cost me out of pocket (copay) $85.72 at Walgreen's and only $33.01 at Costco a savings of $52.71. I was shocked. Never again Walgreen's. The best part about Costco is you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy. One of my prescriptions at Costco is cheaper at full price than Walgreen's with my copay and I have very good insurance.

View Quote

Good find OP. Another good option for some folks is to not allow the doctor to prescribe a bunch of shit to you that you could avoid with diet/exercise. Some people need pharma, most don't. They hook you like an addict and they never let go until your dead.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
How about cheap Ambien? I need to hang out with the Walrus.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I've bought meds from India before.  Way cheaper, and fuck having to go to a doctor.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
"good rx" enjoy your data being sold to the highest bidder. they will scrub you name, dob, phone, and address for HIPAA and sell everything else about you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

GoodRx

View Quote
Does this work with insurance/copay or is this for people paying full retail?

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, a PM with details would be wonderful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get mine off-shore.  

To explain:  I order from a US company.  They place order in Germany who then ships them to India, who then sends them to me.  Even after all this, the meds are way cheaper with no insurance than buying them here with insurance.

Hint:  Company is in Washington state.

Carry on.

This is of interest to me!

BigDozer66

Yeah, a PM with details would be wonderful.

It would be nice!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
That's been known for awhile especially no need to be a member at big stores. That info made the rounds again because Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS are buying customer info from supermarkets (Pathmark, Waldbaums, A&P) that have been sold out here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Simvastatin - 90 days - Walgreens - $50   Winn-Dixie = $10

Metformin - 90 days - Walgreens = $50  Winn-Dixie = Free
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have pets on meds, Costco can help too.  My vet said that COSTCO beats them and Petmeds.com on bulk Remadil every day of the week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Simvastatin - 90 days - Walgreens - $50   Winn-Dixie = $10

Metformin - 90 days - Walgreens = $50  Winn-Dixie = Free
View Quote

Yep around here Winn Dixie has the best discount plan.

But then when I'm doing the Christmas Shift at Walgreen's and you ask me to refill your Asthma inhaler that you got from Winn Dixie,
I have to inform you that I can't transfer it until they're open.

The Walgreen's Prescription Savings Club is $20/year and worth if for some people, and a waste for others.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have spent over $4,300.00 out of pocket in co-pays so far this year for meds, and besides Medicare I have pretty decent secondary coverage. I have done some price comparisons but perhaps more is needed. We are going without just because of my med. costs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#25]
From what I've seen, Costco has the best prices on meds and it pays to shop around.

With prior insurance I found that using GoodRx and paying cash was sometimes cheaper than using insurance but my current insurance has a $8 co-pay on most medications so unless I'm getting a $0 antibiotic as Publix or a $4 medicine from Walmart, then I go to Walgreens as I happen to like the store / app / pharmacist at that store.

My Walgreens is 24 hours, I can easily do refills by replying to their email, they have a drive thru, my pharmacist will run the price of new prescriptions for me so I can figure out if it is less expensive to use a brand name with the manufacturer's coupon or go with the generic, etc.

Also, I like the Walgreen's app as I can do all of that stuff for my other family members.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have spent over $4,300.00 out of pocket in co-pays so far this year for meds, and besides Medicare I have pretty decent secondary coverage. I have done some price comparisons but perhaps more is needed. We are going without just because of my med. costs.
View Quote

Try these guys for a quote on your meds.  Maybe they can help.
Progressiverx.com
I have been using them since 2006.  Even though I am on Medicare
now, they are still cheaper out of pocket than trying to use Part D for me. Even pet
meds are cheaper with these guys.
Since they come from overseas, there is about a 25 day shipping time
from order to receiving them.  I am on an auto-refill every 90days and
they are very good about keeping in touch via e-mail about your orders.

They don't have every drug, but they are worth checking out.
Bosshaug

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
you should check out a mail order service like CVS/Caremark. They were cheaper than Costco on the stuff we get.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Long time pharmacist at CVS, and now working for an independent. CVS is A LOT higher cash price than just about anywhere. Walgreens is about what and what with CVS.  Walgreens has a discounted list and so does CVS that you can buy into. Walmart has their discounted list, but those drugs are all dirt cheap anyway.  The independents can set their price, and for the most part on all maintenance meds, we are cheaper than the big chains. Some meds I recently changed the price to beat about everyone, like a certain weight loss med that runs 38 bucks at CVS, I dropped out price to 12 bucks last week.
View Quote

I'm only on one Rx, but just changed to an independent in Hammond. Cash price way cheaper than WallyWorld and Walgreens.
My docs staff were quite helpful.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I have insurance that has copay on my meds. I have used CVS and Walgreens for years.
Everyone kept telling me that Costco is MUCH cheaper.

I took my new refill scripts to Costco.  Out of five, four were anywhere from double to triple the cost. One was less paying cash instead of my insurance. By $2.
I talked to the pharmacist about it, he says that my insurance cuts deals with certain pharmacy chains and that they will usually be much less than a "preferred" pharmacy. I called my insurance (Independence Blue Cross) and asked about this "preferred" pharmacy. The wouldn't confirm or deny. They DID say that prices are more or less at different pharmacies and she could check prices on a particular drug at pharmacies that I specified, but couldn't/wouldn't tell me where I could find the lowest cost.

So...it's back to CVS or Walgreens for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have insurance that has copay on my meds. I have used CVS and Walgreens for years.

Everyone kept telling me that Costco is MUCH cheaper.

I took my new refill scripts to Costco.  Out of five, four were anywhere from double to triple the cost. One was less paying cash instead of my insurance. By $2.

I talked to the pharmacist about it, he says that my insurance cuts deals with certain pharmacy chains and that they will usually be much less than a "preferred" pharmacy. I called my insurance (Independence Blue Cross) and asked about this "preferred" pharmacy. The wouldn't confirm or deny. They DID say that prices are more or less at different pharmacies and she could check prices on a particular drug at pharmacies that I specified, but couldn't/wouldn't tell me where I could find the lowest cost.

So...it's back to CVS or Walgreens for me.
View Quote
Yeah, this whole insurance preferred thing,along with PBM,Express Scripts,CVS/Caremark.Prime,OptumRx, MedImpact and GoodRx were all new to me. When I was getting my meds at Costco I was talking to several people waiting and all said the same thing that they were saving a lot of money buying from Costco. My saving are significant. This thread has been an eye opener for me.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top