Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/1/2015 10:03:55 PM EDT
AUSTIN -
Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

Then, the family's eldest daughter, 17-year-old Tori, ran away from home saying she wanted to return to school. She was placed in ninth grade, since officials weren't sure she could handle higher-level work.
View Quote

More at link:

http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texas-Case-Mulls-if-Home-school-Kids-Have-to-Learn-Something/36190388

Should there be government endorsed standards for homeschooling? How far do parents' rights extend when it comes to home schooling?

Do parents have the right to refuse to educate their children due to religious beliefs?

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
AUSTIN -
Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

Then, the family's eldest daughter, 17-year-old Tori, ran away from home saying she wanted to return to school. She was placed in ninth grade, since officials weren't sure she could handle higher-level work.
View Quote

More at link:

http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texas-Case-Mulls-if-Home-school-Kids-Have-to-Learn-Something/36190388

Should there be government endorsed standards for homeschooling? How far do parents' rights extend when it comes to home schooling?

Do parents have the right to refuse to educate their children due to religious beliefs?

View Quote

You mean the government standards that have produced legions of mouth-breathing morons?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Part of me says leave it to the parents. The other part sees their kids continuing to wait for the rapture while on welfare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thread title and poll question are misleading...

Voted no, meant yes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Are those children going to go out and interact with the rest of the community? Are the rest of us going to have to pay to provide for them when they can't find work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to love a thread where the thread title question is the opposite of the poll question.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Voted no, meant yes.
View Quote

i am also traded and voted no, meant yes
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Frankly, parents should be able to "opt out" of public school without admonishment.  Pull their kids out and finger paint all day, homeschool with curriculum all over the map or send to prestigious private schools.  If those kids grow up ignorant and bottom-feeders, not my problem.

One of the reason kids are getting bad education experiences in PS is the feral kids sucking down all the resources (time and money) from the admin down the the teachers and the "good" kids are getting the short end of the stick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Frankly, parents should be able to "opt out" of public school without admonishment.  Pull their kids out and finger paint all day, homeschool with curriculum all over the map or send to prestigious private schools.  If those kids grow up ignorant and bottom-feeders, not my problem.

One of the reason kids are getting bad education experiences in PS is the feral kids sucking down all the resources (time and money) from the admin down the the teachers and the "good" kids are getting the short end of the stick.
View Quote

It's all of our problem. They would be yet another sucking up taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I support kids receiving testing, as long as they stay within a grade or so of where they should be there shouldn't be any issues.

I support homeschooling, but I have seen fundamentalist parents (I'm a devout Christian myself) neglect their kids education severely.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AUSTIN -

View Quote

More at link:

View Quote

I was homeschooled. My parents standard was if I could pass the GED and get in to college, then I succeeded. So my opinion on the issue is the government should fuck off, parents can't screw up their kids any worse then the local school can.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are those children going to go out and interact with the rest of the community? Are the rest of us going to have to pay to provide for them when they can't find work?
View Quote

You are operating on a sad stereotype if you think that's what homeschooled kids are like.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No, of course not, it is perfectly within their rights to raise their children in a way which will poorly prepare them for the world.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't homeschoolers have an ultimate goal of getting a GED?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are operating on a sad stereotype if you think that's what homeschooled kids are like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you read the article or just interject your own idea of what you think this thread is about?

More at link:

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel sorry for kids who grow up brainwashed and ignorant.  But if we are free, we have to accept things we don't necessarily agree with.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like the over 93% of students graduating from Detroit public schools who can't read or do math? Seriously fix your own mess before sticking you nose elsewhere. You really do have bigger problems.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You have to love a thread where the thread title question is the opposite of the poll question.  
View Quote

This, and the parents should move to a free state.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Voted no, meant yes.
View Quote

It's a trap.

Rather be raped by the daddy you know than multiple foster care daddies on the state dole out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You mean like the over 93% of students graduating from Detroit public schools who can't read or do math? Seriously fix your own mess before sticking you nose elsewhere. You really do have bigger problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we have a problem with their inability to read or do math, correct? Two wrongs don't make a right. A once a year test to make sure the children aren't being neglected would in no way shape or form place a burden on the parents. However, an adult that can't read or write or find work will place a burden on the rest of us through taxpayer funded wellfare programs. Now if the parents and kids could be forced to sign a contract disqualifying them from ever receiving public assistance, I would agree.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually the average homeschooler performs in the top 15% on testing. The public schools only average 50%. As for the family in question they are not homeschoolers, they are un-schoolers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I feel sorry for kids who grow up brainwashed and ignorant.  But if we are free, we have to accept things we don't necessarily agree with.

View Quote

'Brainwashed' is highly subjective, and given the overreach of government the social, religious, or political leanings of a parent's teaching ought to be strictly a private matter. Ignorance can be more objectively measured, and a parent who refuses their children the opportunity of a basic education is more neglectful than a parent who doesn't feed their kids.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blame public schools.  They graduate people that can't hold a cogent thought.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pay me now or pay me later?  Is this the extortion of taxes, federal and state dole and the compulsory school attendance, argument now?

Remove the safety nets and let the problem sort itself out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#25]
There are home-schooling standards IF you choose to use them.  There are entire programs/curriculum available.

Each state is different in its requirements.  

FWIW, my wife comes from a whole family of home-schooled kids.  Her older sister is senior electrical engineer at a major power company.  My wife is training/in school to be a pathologist.  Her youngest sister is in school for mechanical engineering.

All of them are socialized just fine, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pay me now or pay me later?  Is this the extortion of taxes, federal and state dole and the compulsory school attendance, argument now?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but anytime I say let the weak and stupid starve, I get called a monster. The people on here that will scream "freedom" when the government wants do anything, are the first the admonish any of us that have no desire to keep others alive. Real freedom is hard and not everyone will make it. That seems to be too scary of an idea for some.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I support kids receiving testing, as long as they stay within a grade or so of where they should be there shouldn't be any issues.

I support homeschooling, but I have seen fundamentalist parents (I'm a devout Christian myself) neglect their kids education severely.
View Quote

This, from a former homeschooling parent in Orygun
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Public schools never turn out poor students, that are a burden on society, do they?

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And we have a problem with their inability to read or do math, correct? Two wrongs don't make a right. A once a year test to make sure the children aren't being neglected would in no way shape or form place a burden on the parents. However, an adult that can't read or write or find work will place a burden on the rest of us through taxpayer funded wellfare programs. Now if the parents and kids could be forced to sign a contract disqualifying them from ever receiving public assistance, I would agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The public schools do annual testing. Who makes them fix their millions of failures? Certainly not the government, school board or parents. Would you be willing to force parents to homeschool their children when the schools aren't doing their jobs? What's good for the goose is good for the gander right? And let's be clear this family do not homeschool but are un-schoolers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

My former neighbor told me her goal was to ensure her son wouldn't be able to exist without her.

The cops came out one time and he couldn't spell his last name. He came off to the cops as having the mental capacity of an elementary school kid. He was 17.

Poor kid was doomed. Cleanliness wasn't part of their regimen either. When they finally got kicked out by the mortgage company guys in hazmat suits showed up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, you mean the legions of FSA idiots pouring out of public schools

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just Detroit. For 3 years I taught a course at a local community college. The course required a VERY basic knowledge of algebra. Half the class, some of whom were in their second year at the CC, couldn't do it. It was math my homeschooled daughters could do as hs freshmen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're already sucking up taxpayer money.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Should they, yes. Do they, no.

It's borne out of society not wanting to carry the idiots who cant read, do simple math, etc.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#37]
It's in the government's best interest to have educated citizens, and to provide for that education, and to provide incentives for that education.

But in the end, the government has no right to force that education on a citizen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Part of me says no, because freedom.

But then I remember knowing a young woman in her early 20's who couldn't add/subtract (even with paper and pencil) or read, despite living in a nice suburban area and being reasonably intelligent. Before you assume a cultural issue, she was white and as far as I could tell she grew up in the area.

ETA: On the flip side, I knew a family where the parents were from Latvia and the kids were born in the US. The kids (6 and 10 iirc) could both speak 3 languages fluently and a few more reasonably well, were well socialized, and very well prepared for their future.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parents and kids of government schooling, or home education?

I pay substantial amounts into the local school district in my property taxes, and have to spend my spare time educating kids in my neighborhood through volunteer programs.

The truly gifted kids in my neighborhood who are in AP classes don't even know basic measures.

How many feet/yards in a mile?

Basic US History

Basic Geography

Basic Government and Economics

At the annual Halloween party last night, I checked up again with two professors of law at BYU.  Same story:  each class continues to get quantifiably dumber when it comes to government and economics 101, and these are kids that got accepted into BYU Law, not your local community college.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have an alternative to sitting in an office awaiting the Rapture that guarantees that the children will grow up to be useful and self-sufficient people?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife and I homeschool our children and we are Christians. I feel that this example in the OP is not as common as some would have us believe. It sounds like they were lazy or too caught up in the business to care about their children's education. Since "no man knows the day or the hour" of Christ's next coming, we should prepare ourselves for his coming (spiritually) but also prepare ourselves mentally and physically to live in the world and be ambassadors for Christ (if you're a Christian). It's hard to be an ambassador for him if you can't perform basic functions of everyday life.

I don't deny that there are "homeschoolers" out there that don't do any educating/learning. However, a lot of people are switching to homeschooling, be it for religious reasons or not, simply because the public system is so broken. Typically when tested, homeschoolers do very well.

I think our response to calls for more gun control should be the same as those calling for more homeschool control: don't punish everybody just because of a small group of people that abuse the rights.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not just Detroit. For 3 years I taught a course at a local community college. The course required a VERY basic knowledge of algebra. Half the class, some of whom were in their second year at the CC, couldn't do it. It was math my homeschooled daughters could do as hs freshmen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on. My niece taught English 7 in Boston Public schools and only a handful could barely read. Most were illiterate.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's in the government's best interest to have educated citizens, and to provide for that education, and to provide incentives for that education.

But in the end, the government has no right to force that education on a citizen.
View Quote

Government has never been involved in education.  Since the early 1900's, in the US, it has become more and more involved in schooling.

Schooling is not the same as education.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I agree, but anytime I say let the weak and stupid starve, I get called a monster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree, but anytime I say let the weak and stupid starve, I get called a monster.

Same here.  But the real monsters are the ones who think I owe them or another person a lifestyle simply because they exist.  And will use the the threat of gov't to ensure I pay my "fair share" without actually putting a unit of measure on that.  Just, "more."

The people on here that will scream "freedom" when the government wants do anything, are the first the admonish any of us that have no desire to keep others alive.

Freedom is the ability to make decisions without State coercion, suffer the consequences or enjoy the benefits - not to proxy and burden the consequences on a third party by State force or having property and time stolen from them for some intangible benefit to someone they have no obligation to other than some bullshit "social contract" that they never signed.  

Real freedom is hard and not everyone will make it. That seems to be too scary of an idea for some.

Freedom is scary.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Part of me says leave it to the parents. The other part sees their kids continuing to wait for the rapture while on welfare.

View Quote

You speak truth........

No reason these kids should not be taught basic education while waiting on "the rapture".........God himself said you will not know the hour or the day that it happens.......do these "Parents" know more than God?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Public schools never turn out poor students, that are a burden on society, do they?
http://www.newslinq.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ghettomom22.png
View Quote

Do you have a back story for the photo ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
AUSTIN -

View Quote

More at link:

View Quote

title of OP is considerably different than poll question
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I think it'd be okay with the kid having to take a test two or three times a year to make sure they're within their grade level.

That's it. Nothing else. Just enough to make sure the kid isn't being neglected, and so the colleges can look at his history and be like "Yeah, he's not a fucktard. We'll accept him."
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#49]
In Texas there is a standardized test.  It is called the General Equivalency Degree or the GED.  It is the legal equivalent of the HS diploma.

It is the parents' responsiblity to educate their kids.  How they do it is their right.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you talking about public education or home schooling?  It applies to both.

I taught in public school for 5 years.  We were cranking out ignorant people who were headed for the welfare rolls.

If you think the public education is the faile safe process, you are deluding yourself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top