Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think locking children in a wearhouse and awaiting the rapture is very healthy for society...

I believe that most states have basic standards. I know that Florida and Washington state both require registration of students in the form of declarations of intent to home school. Florida and Washington also require, or at least did require, yearly standardized testing. That being said, the nature and quality of education that home schooling provides varies considerably. I have encountered many exceptional students who were home schooled, most of them were on the upper end of the bell curve. I've also encountered an occasional 'special' example on the other end of the curve. I suppose that you could characterize this as a bimodal distribution.

I have noticed that I can usually tell if someone was homeschooled by watching for subtle clues and or Encyclopedia like knowledge.

Source / credentials: Personal experience as a successful college student / TA / gainfully employed victim of homeschooling

Edit: iPotato
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And we have a problem with their inability to safey handle firearms, correct? Two wrongs don't make a right. A once a year test to make sure the citizens aren't being neglectful in the safe storage of firearms and would in no way shape or form place a burden on society. However, an adult that cannot prove they have a valid rason to own a firearm will place a burden on the rest of us through taxpayer funded medical services. Now if the parents and kids could be forced to sign a contract disqualifying them from ever owning firearms, I would agree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are those children going to go out and interact with the rest of the community? Are the rest of us going to have to pay to provide for them when they can't find work?

You mean like the over 93% of students graduating from Detroit public schools who can't read or do math? Seriously fix your own mess before sticking you nose elsewhere. You really do have bigger problems.

And we have a problem with their inability to safey handle firearms, correct? Two wrongs don't make a right. A once a year test to make sure the citizens aren't being neglectful in the safe storage of firearms and would in no way shape or form place a burden on society. However, an adult that cannot prove they have a valid rason to own a firearm will place a burden on the rest of us through taxpayer funded medical services. Now if the parents and kids could be forced to sign a contract disqualifying them from ever owning firearms, I would agree.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think it'd be okay with the kid having to take a test two or three times a year to make sure they're within their grade level.

That's it. Nothing else. Just enough to make sure the kid isn't being neglected, and so the colleges can look at his history and be like "Yeah, he's not a fucktard. We'll accept him."
View Quote

One of the core tenets of the Prussian schooling model was to ignore actual intellectual capacity and achievement potential, and corral kids into "grades" or classes to reinforce the caste system/feudal norm of the peasant class so that children would not pick up the revolutionary ideas of some of the academics that led to successful revolutions in the British American colonies, as well as France.

The 6-part Prussian model focused on installing the prison-like caste system into children so that they would learn to surrender their long-term life plan to an unseen, arbitrary authority figure that nobody knows or sees, other than the face of that figure manifest in the custodian of the classroom.

Children are far more capable than what is confined to the arbitrary and non-challenging "standards" found within grade levels.  "Grade levels" is probably the most effective form of the mental prison known as public schooling.

+2 for getting "they're and their" correct in usage, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you talking about public education or home schooling?  It applies to both.

I taught in public school for 5 years.  We were cranking out ignorant people who were headed for the welfare rolls.

If you think the public education is the faile safe process, you are deluding yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel sorry for kids who grow up brainwashed and ignorant.  But if we are free, we have to accept things we don't necessarily agree with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Are you talking about public education or home schooling?  It applies to both.

I taught in public school for 5 years.  We were cranking out ignorant people who were headed for the welfare rolls.

If you think the public education is the faile safe process, you are deluding yourself.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are those children going to go out and interact with the rest of the community? Are the rest of us going to have to pay to provide for them when they can't find work?

You mean like the over 93% of students graduating from Detroit public schools who can't read or do math? Seriously fix your own mess before sticking you nose elsewhere. You really do have bigger problems.

Fixed it for you.

Based on how irrelevant and poorly edited that was, I'm going to assume (safely) that you were home schooled in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do parents have the right to refuse to educate their children due to religious beliefs?

View Quote

Are the parents willing to support their offspring for the kids entire life if the kid can't get a job and be a self-supporting member of society?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of the core tenets of the Prussian schooling model was to ignore actual intellectual capacity and achievement potential, and corral kids into "grades" or classes to reinforce the caste system/feudal norm of the peasant class so that children would not pick up the revolutionary ideas of some of the academics that led to successful revolutions in the British American colonies, as well as France.

The 6-part Prussian model focused on installing the prison-like caste system into children so that they would learn to surrender their long-term life plan to an unseen, arbitrary authority figure that nobody knows or sees, other than the face of that figure manifest in the custodian of the classroom.

Children are far more capable than what is confined to the arbitrary and non-challenging "standards" found within grade levels.  "Grade levels" is probably the most effective form of the mental prison known as public schooling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it'd be okay with the kid having to take a test two or three times a year to make sure they're within their grade level.

That's it. Nothing else. Just enough to make sure the kid isn't being neglected, and so the colleges can look at his history and be like "Yeah, he's not a fucktard. We'll accept him."

I understand what you're getting at, and I'm not even totally sure I disagree. I just think some form of standards is probably the only way to figure out if the kid is actually being taught or not.

Also, it'd help for college applications and such.

Also, as to my use of "their", and "they're".... I didn't go to public school.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Public schools never turn out poor students, that are a burden on society, do they?

http://www.newslinq.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ghettomom22.png

View Quote

Any school can only do so much with the raw material it is provided.  Address the root cause of the problem - the parent and the kid - first.  When 2 out of 3 of the inputs to the equation are broken (read parents & kids) the 3rd input (read school/teachers) isn't going to make a significant difference.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was homeschooled. My parents standard was if I could pass the GED and get in to college, then I succeeded. So my opinion on the issue is the government should fuck off, parents can't screw up their kids any worse then the local school can.
View Quote

This is the only real answer.  It's not up to the government to impose their failed educational process on people who want no part of it.  Yes, that means that you can give your kid a bad education or teach them wacky shit.  It might sound like a raw deal for those kids, but if we put the government into the role of dictating what must be or cannot be taught by parents to their own children, we'll end up with a lot worse than a few nutcase families frittering away their children's education.  How could that even be enforced anyway?  Kid gets an "F," mom goes to jail?  Kid fails standardized test, family is fined into financial ruin?  

I was homeschooled as well, and have known many other homeschoolers.  Cases like the one in the OP are such remote outliers, it's like talking about registering reloading presses and only permitting government-approved loadings, because some people are idiots and Kaboom their guns.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I understand what you're getting at, and I'm not even totally sure I disagree. I just think some form of standards is probably the only way to figure out if the kid is actually being taught or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best way to approach standards is to not have any, and to encourage competition instead.

Competition should be at the local, district, State, National, and international levels.

Standards are limits.  Competition breeds awe....
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm torn.

My libertarian sensibilities make me very sympathetic to the idea that it's really not the state's place to tell parents how to educate their children.

OTOH, my own extensive experience with evangelical education leaves me with the opinion it's essentially child abuse in many cases. Far too many of my childhood friends crashed and burned and I had to work really hard to dig myself out of the hole that resulted from that upbringing.

I've argued before that the right's tactic regarding education is self-defeating. By abandoning the school system you're just handing that huge lever of power to the left.

People, in general, are morons and always have been. History is one long chronicle of people finding new ways to be idiots. You really need to take that into account when criticizing the public school system. Any school is only going to be as good as the community that produces it and the primary problem I see in home schooling is that community is too small. If the parents are exceptional it works out ok, but not all parents are.

My kids public school is so superior to any of the schools I attended, public or private, there isn't any comparison. I believe it's in everyone's interest to have an educated population, but it does grate when the school sends me nasty letters for pulling my kids out for supplementary field studies and such. Both of my girls are now in the 99th percentile in all subjects tested.

Testing seems like a reasonable requirement, you should be able to teach any way you want so long as the kids are at least on par. If they're not then more requirements might be in order.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are the parents willing to support their offspring for the kids entire life if the kid can't get a job and be a self-supporting member of society?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do parents have the right to refuse to educate their children due to religious beliefs?

No, but oddly enough the state is willing to provide lifetime support for the failures produced by its attempts at education.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

did you read the article or just interject your own idea of what you think this thread is about?

Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

Then, the family's eldest daughter, 17-year-old Tori, ran away from home saying she wanted to return to school. She was placed in ninth grade, since officials weren't sure she could handle higher-level work.

More at link:

http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texas-Case-Mulls-if-Home-school-Kids-Have-to-Learn-Something/36190388

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are operating on a sad stereotype if you think that's what homeschooled kids are like.

did you read the article or just interject your own idea of what you think this thread is about?

Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

Then, the family's eldest daughter, 17-year-old Tori, ran away from home saying she wanted to return to school. She was placed in ninth grade, since officials weren't sure she could handle higher-level work.

More at link:

http://www.krgv.com/news/local-news/Texas-Case-Mulls-if-Home-school-Kids-Have-to-Learn-Something/36190388

Read it.

What they did was called unschooling. It's not for everyone, and while the kids may be retarded, they will still be able to easily get work provided they have their GED's. Without a GED work gets harder to find, but society as a whole most likely won't be supporting them either way (unless the state wants to get involved).
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, but oddly enough the state is willing to provide lifetime support for the failures produced by its attempts at education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state isn't the only failure in the education "system" - the problem starts at home.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
As the future of employment continues its downward path, and median income drops, with automation increasing, you're going to see more employers looking for:

* Multiple degrees and relevant skills for management
* People with engineering degrees who have experience
* Emerging technology skills, not necessarily degrees, namely computer modeling, drafting, systems networking, diagnostics, telemetry, automation

Universities and employers are already lighting up when they see an applicant who is clearly intelligent, and was home-schooled, versus the kids who graduated with a HSD, because they know painfully well what a HSD is worth.

There is a fundamental transformation of the business and production world happening in this generation, and automation is the key pivotal factor.

It's going to result in exported jobs coming back to the US, but performed by automated systems with a few highly trained employees designing, building, monitoring, maintaining, and repairing those systems.

Most high school curricula aren't even in the same playing field required to have these skills.

By sending kids to local high schools, many are setting them up for:

* Low skilled services professions
* Unemployment
* Teaching degrees ( to crank out more of the same failed approach)

There will be a few achievers in the margins, but the rest simply have an uphill battle (only made harder for them by public school) in the coming workplace.  We're looking at 40-50% of the current jobs being made obsolete in the next 10-15 years, mainly because of automation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
This sounds like another attack on our liberty as parents and our families.  Parents have a duty to train up their children, not the state.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, for those that send their kids to public schools, for the few determined ones that actually get into management positions with the emerging residential construction market, they're going to be delegating construction tasks to Spanish speakers as they build significantly smaller homes.

Population growth + increased GDP + increased federal standards on emissions + dumber kids + automated production = smaller average residential home sizes.

More and more investors will be property owners, while more and more workers will be renters, rather than indentured servants under a mortgage with the bank.  People will not be able to afford to buy like they have in the US up to this point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You have to love a thread where the thread title question is the opposite of the poll question.  
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Supreme Court has already said no YES:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_v._Society_of_Sisters

ETA:  OP poll fail.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You mean the government standards that have produced legions of mouth-breathing morons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AUSTIN -

More at link:

Should there be government endorsed standards for homeschooling? How far do parents' rights extend when it comes to home schooling?

You mean the government standards that have produced legions of mouth-breathing morons?

Can't wait till inner city kids claim they "ain't gotta do skool no mo'"

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#21]
You realize that they DO.....have standards?   Right?  

I was homeschooled and here in Montana I had to several times take end-of-year tests to ensure I was as far along as my public school counterparts......usually I was FAR....FAR ahead of them.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That wasn't homeschooling. That was religious inculcation under the moniker homeschooling.

I have no problem with them doing so, but don't call it homeschooling.
View Quote

This. And it's sad.

And I don't see the need to get government involved.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]
yes, being able to read and write coherently in English should be mandatory, home schooled or not
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's all of our problem. They would be yet another sucking up taxpayer money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly, parents should be able to "opt out" of public school without admonishment.  Pull their kids out and finger paint all day, homeschool with curriculum all over the map or send to prestigious private schools.  If those kids grow up ignorant and bottom-feeders, not my problem.

One of the reason kids are getting bad education experiences in PS is the feral kids sucking down all the resources (time and money) from the admin down the the teachers and the "good" kids are getting the short end of the stick.

It's all of our problem. They would be yet another sucking up taxpayer money.

Versus sending them to a public school sucking up taxpayer money? The problem is not with uneducated youth its that of a fucking gigantic welfare state. I've ran across a many from public education that are barely able to tie their shoes. So state standards and application don't seem to promise any better returns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
yes, being able to read and write coherently in English should be mandatory, home schooled or not
View Quote

But only for white folk?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I feel sorry for kids who grow up brainwashed and ignorant.  But if we are free, we have to accept things we don't necessarily agree with.

View Quote

This, dealing with some ignorant people here and there is far preferable than having more government control.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
But only for white folk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But only for white folk?

everyone, if you can't do this then you flunk

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Under what authority?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thread title and poll question are misleading...

Voted no, meant yes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#30]
So 2A supporters won't allow freedom to homeschool.  Soon we will likely not have the freedom to do either.

The government imposition of "standards" defeats the whole idea of home education.  Most all the kids I've known from homeschooling families do much better at life and work in general than the product of government schools.  Homeschool parents will resist nonsense just as surely as gun owners.  A high percentage are gun owners and pro 2A.

ETA - OP is either dishonest or a unionized teacher
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#32]
You should pass the standardized tests for gaining a diploma.

How you get there is none of the governments business.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Part of me says no, because freedom.

But then I remember knowing a young woman in her early 20's who couldn't add/subtract (even with paper and pencil) or read, despite living in a nice suburban area and being reasonably intelligent. Before you assume a cultural issue, she was white and as far as I could tell she grew up in the area.

ETA: On the flip side, I knew a family where the parents were from Latvia and the kids were born in the US. The kids (6 and 10 iirc) could both speak 3 languages fluently and a few more reasonably well, were well socialized, and very well prepared for their future.
View Quote

Was the young woman home schooled?

You did not say.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think anyone has to accept common core.

That is what you were referring to?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Bad parenting comes in many, many different flavors.

I'm convinced this particular issue is of such a small number of people as to be inconsequential and not require government intrusion into the thousands of other homeschooling families.

There's a significant First Amendment issue here as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You should pass the standardized tests for gaining a diploma.

How you get there is none of the governments business.
View Quote

That's actually an interesting, if unusual, approach to the policy problem. So, under your proposed model, public schools, private schools, Joe's Private Testing Service LLC, etc would offer diplomas to whoever passed a battery of standardized tests? With no regard for attendance, course completion, etc? Sounds a bit like a universalized GED.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Most of my grandkids have been home schooled.They were WAY above public schools in any category you want to name.
And they are NOT socially awkward or backward.
They were tested yearly (I think) and had to meet certain minimum standards.They ALL,always exceeded those standards by a LARGE margin.
whole lot of misinformation in this thread  ....
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

i am also traded and voted no, meant yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread title and poll question are misleading...

Voted no, meant yes.

i am also traded and voted no, meant yes

What have you got against rapture pie?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So 2A supporters won't allow freedom to homeschool.  Soon we will likely not have the freedom to do either.

The government imposition of "standards" defeats the whole idea of home education.  Most all the kids I've known from homeschooling families do much better at life and work in general than the product of government schools.  Homeschool parents will resist nonsense just as surely as gun owners.  A high percentage are gun owners and pro 2A.

ETA - OP is either dishonest or a unionized teacher
View Quote

There are outliers (read wack jobs) in each population.

The OP does not describe education of any sort that will lead to self-supporting adults.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you homeschooled?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I voted yes, if they want to raise idiots let them.  We are a free country.  Their religion has to stay out of school system.  I feel sorry for the children though.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Op did a little switcharoo on the Question.  Bad form

We as a group distrust everything the government does yet we some how trust them with our children

We as a group believe everything the government touches gets corrupted, yet we some how believe that they will not corrupt our children

We as a group speak of all we will do to those that harm our children and the lengths we will go to protect them, yet as a group willingly send our children to a place with little to no protection, and think they will be safe

We as a group fawn over any one who posts that they are expecting a little one, and talk of all the great things about being a parent, and then as soon as they are born we turn them over for someone else to raise.

We as a group talk about the need of good parenting then put down and degrade all of the ones that have decided to take 100% responsibility for our children.  all to justify in our minds our decision to give our children over for someone else to raise.

A few in this thread have posted that homeshooling is equivalent to child abuse.  I declare that willingly sending your children to government schools is willful child endangerment.

Those "parents" listed in the OP are failures, but the government has no right to intervene.

NAVYIS2 is correct, he is a monster, however he is mostly correct, in that when parents fail their children, said children should not be allowed on welfare, of course this should go for the government school children also.  it appears that NAVYIS2 and others think that a higher percentage of those on welfare are homeschooled.  I seriously doubt that, but it helps fit whatever narrative they choose to follow.

Not only am I not taking, nor have I taken any government assistance, I strongly teach my children that it is unacceptable.  I pay taxes that go to government schools, I don't get a tax break and I don't want one.  I don't want the government to have any more control then they already do.

My oldest turns 20 in a week.  he scored a 110 gt score on the ASVAB and is joining the army in 2 weeks.  he easily got a job before that, after taking some college courses, but then decided to join up.  he has not taken any assistance.  his boss hates to loose him, and his boss initially thought all homeschoolers were failures, till he was reminded that my son was homeschooled.  my son is the best employee he has, but he had the same misconceptions I see all over this thread and all over ARFCOM regarding home schooling.

but ARFCOM will be ARFCOM
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I voted "yes" because I assumed the poll was asking whether there should be standards.  Bloody bait and switch.  No, you shouldn't be able to stifle your children's growth just because you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes.  We should make mandated, federal guidelines, which are written and monitored by the powers in DC, because of the extremely rare cases of crazy homeschoolers who don't teach their children.  That way, we can make sure they get the proper indoctrination education. We need more "Islam Day" and "Why Mad Made Global Warming is Real" at home, too.

Make sure we continue to legislate to the lowest common denominator, because working towards the LCD has done wonders for us, both in our school systems and our overall government.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Op did a little switcharoo on the Question.  Bad form

We as a group distrust everything the government does yet we some how trust them with our children

We as a group believe everything the government touches gets corrupted, yet we some how believe that they will not corrupt our children

We as a group speak of all we will do to those that harm our children and the lengths we will go to protect them, yet as a group willingly send our children to a place with little to no protection, and think they will be safe

We as a group fawn over any one who posts that they are expecting a little one, and talk of all the great things about being a parent, and then as soon as they are born we turn them over for someone else to raise.

We as a group talk about the need of good parenting then put down and degrade all of the ones that have decided to take 100% responsibility for our children.  all to justify in our minds our decision to give our children over for someone else to raise.

A few in this thread have posted that homeshooling is equivalent to child abuse.  I declare that willingly sending your children to government schools is willful child endangerment.

Those "parents" listed in the OP are failures, but the government has no right to intervene.

NAVYIS2 is correct, he is a monster, however he is mostly correct, in that when parents fail their children, said children should not be allowed on welfare, of course this should go for the government school children also.  it appears that NAVYIS2 and others think that a higher percentage of those on welfare are homeschooled.  I seriously doubt that, but it helps fit whatever narrative they choose to follow.

Not only am I not taking, nor have I taken any government assistance, I strongly teach my children that it is unacceptable.  I pay taxes that go to government schools, I don't get a tax break and I don't want one.  I don't want the government to have any more control then they already do.

My oldest turns 20 in a week.  he scored a 110 gt score on the ASVAB and is joining the army in 2 weeks.  he easily got a job before that, after taking some college courses, but then decided to join up.  he has not taken any assistance.  his boss hates to loose him, and his boss initially thought all homeschoolers were failures, till he was reminded that my son was homeschooled.  my son is the best employee he has, but he had the same misconceptions I see all over this thread and all over ARFCOM regarding home schooling.

but ARFCOM will be ARFCOM
View Quote

Well said.  

The security issue alone should make any thinking person cringe at what their kids are subjected to in the care of obese morons who know nothing about the world, let alone how to protect themselves and the kids in their daily care.

The school system in the US has been a resounding success at breeding docile servants who lack any critical thinking skills.  Just look through any of the threads here and you will see one logical fallacy after another when trying to argue a point, when they are basic and amateur fallacies at that, easily recognized in a 101 course.

This thread and the OP show several examples of fallacies, bait and switch thread title and poll, and how easily many fell into the trap.  Then we have a cherry-picked scenario that we don't know the veracity of, used to represent the broader population of home schoolers, another fallacy argument geared towards supporting more government intrusion into the private lives of families.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted "yes" because I assumed the poll was asking whether there should be standards.  Bloody bait and switch.  No, you shouldn't be able to stifle your children's growth just because you're an idiot.

Yeah, what kind of Luddites wouldn't want their beloved offspring to enjoy the benefits of public school??

Stop with facts and critical thinking...that is the kind of shit homeschoolers subject their children to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm sure someone has already said this (didn't take time to read all the replies), but I think there should be standards for the public schools long before home schoolers are regulated.  
View Quote

No way dude!

Any effort toward "standards" is part of the communist plot which is destroying the moral fabric of this nation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top