Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 9/12/2015 4:01:05 PM EDT
Vuurwapen just stepped on Fire Cleans dick....

Link
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The LAV will not be pleased...he promotes this stuff pretty often
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Things like this is usually why I don't listen to LAV very often.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Snake oil no matter what they call it. Why people pay for this flavor of the month stuff is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I never heard of Fire Clean until I read this thread...
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruh-Roh. i have some Firecean. 15$ for some ounces of cooking oil lol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
But guys LAV did a video with hard evidence of its superiority. Didn't you see it? The gun with Fireclean had more smoke which was proof that it pulled fouling out of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe he puts it on his salads, oh weight....   Heh heh  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
George Fennell.. There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  That article mentions that he's had bad things to say about FP-10, funny cuz he was supposed to have invented it and sure did think it was the best thing since mother's milk on his old FP-10 forum.  He was a nice guy back then but certainly not shy with his opinions.  He was a good part of the anti-militec movement back in the day, he does seem to enjoy taking the piss out of competitors, but he was right about militec in my experience, and I've got fifteen year old guns with a lot of rounds through 'em that have had a steady diet of FP-10 that look better than they should IMO.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How dare you. He was Delta which is why he's fat. The nerve.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's wrong with some plain old oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.
View Quote

You ever seen BITOG?  Oil in general is this weird topic that draws hype and superstition.  Military gun cleaning standards and habits learned in the days of corrosive ammo have turned gun cleaning into a similar minefield of insanity.  Nothing is ever good enough, anything less than perfect is unacceptable and tantamount to firearm rape.

It's exactly the kind of market where you could sell crisco at a hundred bucks a tub if you got the right mouthpieces blabbing the right buzzwords.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I may be just a printer repairman but at least I'm not a fat shill for cooking oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
What a fraud!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Science bitches..... How does that work..

Amazing how even with the power of the internet, folks can still be convinced to buy expensive shit like Fire clean, or frog lube or gun better or some other such nonsense...

One $5 quart of Mobil 1 and you have enough lubricant to last you for many years....
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Amazing how even with the power of the internet, folks can still be convinced to buy expensive shit like Fire clean, or frog lube or gun better or some other such nonsense...

One $5 quart of Mobil 1 and you have enough lubricant to last you for many years....
View Quote

I feel so unfashionable and not with it. I don't even use Mobil 1, I just use the Walmart equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol

I would joke about LAV's credibility, if he had any
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Grease FTW. (I like my boutique CherryBalmz grease, it smells like cherries.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

Why buy Mobil1 then?

Buy a quart of Walmart Brand oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Another product based on marketing alone bites the dust. Good.

There's a vast variety of lubricants available, that feature real testing.
Here's a nice example:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Aviation/PDS/GLXXENAVIEMMobilgrease_28.aspx
That's Mobil 28, an aviation grease recommended for use on AR triggers by some random dude named Geissele. Look at all those tests they put the stuff through, versus celebrity endorsements and questionable marketing speak which sells most lubes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
George Fennell.. There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  That article mentions that he's had bad things to say about FP-10, funny cuz he was supposed to have invented it and sure did think it was the best thing since mother's milk on his old FP-10 forum.  He was a nice guy back then but certainly not shy with his opinions.  He was a good part of the anti-militec movement back in the day, he does seem to enjoy taking the piss out of competitors, but he was right about militec in my experience, and I've got fifteen year old guns with a lot of rounds through 'em that have had a steady diet of FP-10 that look better than they should IMO.
View Quote

I think he criticized FP10 whenever they (supposedly) changed the formula after he left. Also, since Weapon Shield is his current offering, he claims that it has more or different or newer AW/EP additives.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]
This is why I use Mobile 1
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
A shame the author of that blog stepped on his dick in the EE.  He was a decent poster here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I was banned from the LAV's facebook when I pointed out that FireClean turns to a hard waxy mess below freezing and can jam up the BCG of an AR, as a Cajun chef and frymaster, I also commented that it has the smell and consistency of used fry oil.

LAV even made a statement that "Fireclean isn't for safe queens, but rifles that you shoot all day" almost to mitigate that shit turns to wax if left cold.

FWIW I have used it in 1911s and on AR's in normal temperatures and the guns LOOK cleaner than with thicker lubes like SLIP 2000 and Wilson Ultimate, but that's also because that shit is burning off when you shoot it. I have not had any stoppages, but I'm not a huge fan.

My go to's:

AR platform (and any gas operated rifle): EWL
1911: Wilson pink "ultimate" lube and Mobil 1
Bolt guns: Mobil 1
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I literally have 20 different cleaners/Protectants/lube on my bench. And though I don't use fire clean for a lubricant, it works wonders for removing carbon. It's the only thing that can keep my Pistons clean on my suppressor, now I can easily change from one piston to another.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a shame 87GN isn't around anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A shame the author of that blog stepped on his dick in the EE.  He was a decent poster here.
View Quote

What happened?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I literally have 20 different cleaners/Protectants/lube on my bench. And though I don't use fire clean for a lubricant, it works wonders for removing carbon. It's the only thing that can keep my Pistons clean on my suppressor, now I can easily change from one piston to another.
View Quote

Buying and using crisco would save you a lot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.
View Quote
What weight?

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, now you can save money and just use grocery store cooking oil for the same result.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever tried brake cleaner/carb cleaner? Eating carbon is what it's designed for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use the non-chlorinated kind and keep it away from anything plastic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/832239_.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And far away from your eyes. It's my favorite cleaner (as it blasts away carbon and old lube equally well) but use with care.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm wait in for Haley's dragonfly lube.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't found carb cleaner to work very well at all on suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/832239_.html

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think he criticized FP10 whenever they (supposedly) changed the formula after he left. Also, since Weapon Shield is his current offering, he claims that it has more or different or newer AW/EP additives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaahhh...

I've still got some pre-changeover FP-10 I bought back in '02 or so. He's a loud dude but I absolutely CANNOT complain about his product.  If Weapon Shield is comparable to the old FP-10 that's what I'll stock up on next.  Might be a few more years, I stacked deep.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used carb cleaner, used brake parts cleaner though.

I'll give the crisco a try though to see if it's the same as fireclean, Bc literally a couple drops is all it takes, and it takes off carbon without effort. For the suppressed guys, I can't recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, was hosing down my AK gas port with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and it started taking the lacquer off the wooden furniture.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You leave the LAV alone!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mobil 1 gets it done.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Surprised no one else has bothered to run it through a gas chromatograph ( or whatever chemists use)
View Quote
If there are any analytical chemists here with a GC-MS that want to analyze it esterify the oil before you shoot it on the GC with a methanol / boron trifluoride kit.  I could do it but my GC-MS went tits up a while back and we don't have the funds to fix it right now.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I still have a can of g96 from like 1996.

Works good, smells good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top