Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
1:22 and I have not tried this in decades! I'm going to practice!  I'm out of shape right now because I haven't been able to walk in over two months with a torn Achilles tendon. So my cardio sucks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Also ain't nobody got a stopwatch handy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
2:20
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
1m37s raw,   3m02s  after hyper ventilating to oxygenate the blood
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
1.36 which is better than I thought I'd do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
3.14 sec
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My all time record is 3 minutes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in high school, laying down on a couch, from hyperventilated to near passing out to near passing out from the breath hold, 4:35, but that is not in the water.  

I did 60 yards underwater without fins, mask or snorkel.  Did it once, most other attempts got off course because of the hyperventilation intoxication.  40 yards was pretty easy to do, that way, less hypervent needed so swimming in a straight line was easier.

UW swim time was far less than breath holding on a couch.

Breath holding takes practice and conditioning.

ETA: Underwater swimming is something I did every summer and went to the pool 5 or 6 times a week to do it.

Today?  I'll go hyperventilate, hold and post results.  Oh, high school underwater swimming was 55 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Back in high school, laying down on a couch, from hyperventilated to near passing out to near passing out from the breath hold, 4:35, but that is not in the water.  

I did 60 yards underwater without fins, mask or snorkel.  Did it once, most other attempts got off course because of the hyperventilation intoxication.  40 yards was pretty easy to do, that way, less hypervent needed so swimming in a straight line was easier.

View Quote

Did you ever try re-breathing your air? Transfer from mouth to lungs, back & fourth? I used to try that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you ever try re-breathing your air? Transfer from mouth to lungs, back & fourth? I used to try that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]

I hit 2 minutes and wussed out.  I'm a little drunk though.

Then I spent a good minute recovering.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Just tried it for the first time in many months.

Hyperventilated for 30 seconds, the convulsions set in at about 45 seconds, only got to 1:00.

After the first breath hold, things get better, probably the CO2 level / need to breathe thing gets reset.

Hyperventilated for 1:15 using big slow breaths and exhaling through tight lips to increase the lung pressure during the exhale.  While holding I willed the heart to slow down, yes you can learn to do that, got to 2:02 before the convulsions started to set in.

This was in a recliner.

Breath holding pays off, in high school I did out of air ascent from a hundred feet, while scuba diving.  The tank had a reserve valve, I breathed the tank dry at a hundred and did the ascent, I did get 1 breath from the tank at about 40 ft.  The ascent was easy.  If needed the tank reserve was available at the pull of the reserve rod.

About 30 years later I breathed the tank dry at a hundred feet to see if I could make it, no problem.  (there was some air available in the BC, just in case)  Again the tank gave me 1 breath at about 40 ft.

On a rig dive the next summer a barracuda broke the line to my spear and swam away from the oil rig.  Near the end of the dive he returned, coming right in my direction, the spear sticking through him.  I hoped to grab the spear and have both the cuda and the spear.  He went around me, I hooked the spear with the handle of the gun, the barracuda felt it and descended slowly, just out of reach.  At 135 ft I almost had him, looked at the spg it had 250, about 12% on an old steel 72 tank.  Then I remembered that spg often read 250 when the tank was near dry.  The next inhale did not happen, rats, so I did an actual no air ascent.  Exhale slowly, ascend not too fast but not too slow.  The tank gave me a breath at about 50 feet and a half breath at about 15 ft.  When I broke the surface and took that first breath, the air tasted sooo good.  Air has a taste but most times you don't notice it.  That was the last tank of that rig trip, no chance to find the fish and spear.  We went to that rig a few times but I never found even one spear, we had lost two or three before we started using proper line.

So, yes, breath holding experience can be of value.  Besides that, now days all my regulator rigs have accurate gauges and I get back on the boat with at least 500 pounds.  I only dive that old reg rig for nostalgia.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you hyperventilate and if so, for how long?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, just opened my PC's clock and took as big a deep a breath as I could about ten seconds in from the nearest minute.  

It got uncomfortable around 1:30.  At 1:45 or so I started worrying about blacking out.  My vision got a little wonky in the 1:50+ range, so I stuck it out until 2 minutes then took a fucking awesome deep breath.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Just sat down, took 5 deep breaths and hit 2:14.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#16]
2:09
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
00:49.49
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Edit: just finished my 2nd cigar

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
1:35
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top