Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 4:01:23 PM EDT
always wondered if someone were to take all the towels home from a hotel after staying there would they know?  would they charge you if the did?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
always wondered if someone were to take all the towels home from a hotel after staying there would they know?  would they charge you if the did?
View Quote

Not if you're a Clinton.

TBH, I have never taken a towel, so I have no first hand experience.  I have never heard of someone being charged, but I'm not sure if I even know anyone whose taken hotel towels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Take all of them? Maybe. Take one? Probably not. You can call the front desk and ask for more towels. So how do they know how many were actually there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thievery is an honor in GD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thievery is an honor in GD.
View Quote

Stayed in many a Vegas hotel without taking one.  Just a curiousity  question
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they likely will, and they're expensive as fuck.

I chaperoned a school trip once in which a rather stupid teenage boy wrote on a pillow case with a sharpie. They charged his parents a replacement fee in the neighborhood of 70 bucks. Wasn't even a high end hotel or anything, hotel linens are just heavy duty and expensive.

Was actually a pretty decent kid by the end of highschool, but had a number of painful and/or expensive lessons along the way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I chaperoned a school trip once in which a rather stupid teenage boy wrote on a pillow case with a sharpie. They charged his parents a replacement fee in the neighborhood of 70 bucks. Wasn't even a high end hotel or anything, hotel linens are just heavy duty and expensive.

Was actually a pretty decent kid by the end of highschool, but had a number of painful and/or expensive lessons along the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah at a match hotel in utah thye put up a sign that told the shooters not to use the towels to clean their guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually take the (used) soap and shampoo when I leave, because they're just going to throw it away anyway, and I don't like waste.  But taking anything reusable is thievery.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
<Removed.  --tbk1>

Just saying......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
If the maid reports it, yes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Most hotels will. Pool towels are impossible to track however...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't post that.

PS. Worked in a hotel for nearly 3 years.....Lots of interesting stories.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
A former coworker told me he stayed in a low-cost hotel one time and there was a sign in the room saying that everything was for sale. IOW feel free to take pillows, towels, sheets, etc and we will be happy to charge your card for them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Next time you think of taking a towel from a hotel, shine a black light on them first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Who would want to?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've had the Omni in Katy TX try and charge me 7 bucks for a bottle of water.  They saw a bottle in the trash that I had bought on the way from the airport and tried billing me.  They ended up removing the charge after I called them.
View Quote
Yeah, similar things have happened to me and my wife a couple of times. We now go out of our way to not touch the "for sale" water and snacks, and we police the trash.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who would want to?  
View Quote

You would be surprised. Who would want to flush an entire Queen sized bedsheet down the toilet?...... Seen it more than once......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I expect so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know, but I would hope so.  Thieves need to be held accountable and as a non-thief I don't want to pay for their bad behavior.  
View Quote

this

Stealing is stealing.Period.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Many people steal the bath robes from cruise ships.
They almost always get charged about $65 for missing robes.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Next time you think of taking a towel from a hotel, shine a black light on them first.
View Quote

But OK to go ahead and use it prior to inspection?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<Removed.  --tbk1>

Just saying......
View Quote

Guess not
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A former coworker told me he stayed in a low-cost hotel one time and there was a sign in the room saying that everything was for sale. IOW feel free to take pillows, towels, sheets, etc and we will be happy to charge your card for them.
View Quote

I've seen that in more than one place.  Thought it was a great spin on it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess I dont stay in high dollar hotels
I have never looked at a hotel towel and thought "this is a nice towel, I wished I had towels like this at home"

maybe people enjoy paper thin towels that feel like sandpaper
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Why do you try that out and let us know how it goes?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Just an FYI...if you want those over-sized microcotton towels you get at a luxury resort/hotel, go to TJ Maxx.  They have them for like 10 bucks a towel.  I think we have like 20 of them.  

Now if I could just find the robes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Take all of them? Maybe. Take one? Probably not. You can call the front desk and ask for more towels. So how do they know how many were actually there?
View Quote

Most high-end hotels will log the towels brought from the front desk, probably most hotels these days.

We have never intentionally taken a towel, but one day we got home and realized that one of the kids had stuck one of the hotel towels in the dirty clothes.  Called and the hotel (Drury Inn) said not to worry about it.  They are cheap enough that they don't really care if one walks off here and there, but when someone walks off with all of them, they charge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have never heard of anyone being charged solely for pinching a towel.

Too much bad press for a hotel if the maid miscounted.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just an FYI...if you want those over-sized microcotton towels you get at a luxury resort/hotel, go to TJ Maxx.  They have them for like 10 bucks a towel.  I think we have like 20 of them.  

Now if I could just find the robes.
View Quote

Stayed at the Golden Nugget, Rush Tower not long ago. Nicest damn bath robes I've ever seen. They sell them in the gift shop, $150 apiece....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Reminds me of my grandparents house. Towels from many hotels when they'd go to Vegas twice a year.

"Oh they want you to take them."

May have been so back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I don't know, but I would hope so.  Thieves need to be held accountable and as a non-thief I don't want to pay for their bad behavior.  
View Quote
yep

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I stayed in a high-end hotel in another country that had a placard on the sink essentially saying the same thing.  It basically said all items were high-quality and many guests found them very desirable, therefor they were for sale and listed the prices for each item (towel, washcloth, robe, pillow, etc.) and said there was no reason to request to purchase the item, just take the item(s) with you and the cleaning service would inform the front desk of the proper charges for your room.

It made me laugh, and the robes were very nice, perfect to wear after enjoying the small private pool.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends on the hotel and how much you take.  Shrink is budgeted into rooms revenue and unless you go big, no one cares cares if a few small items grow legs.  Technically, you pay for theft and for whiney guest compensation through the room rate.

-10 years in hotels.

ETA-  Robes are almost universally a no-go.  They WILL charge for those.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Don't post that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't post that.

I worked in a hotel in college - the pool towels walked out the door constantly. That's why they're so tiny and rough. They're about 3/5 the size of a normal towel and made of 120 grit. Their general shittiness should deter theft, but people can't resist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I had to clean up a friend's puke with a couple of hotel towels.

Rather than leave them there for the maids to wash I took them in a plastic bag and threw them away in the first dumpster I found. If they want to charge me for it IDGAF.

They never did though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Theft is wrong and I don't take towels....

but the real reason that most AVERAGE hotels wont bill for one towel is the cost...

here is one example less than $1.75 per towel when bought bulk...

http://www.towelhub.com/wholesale/697-22x44_-_gold_center_stripe_premium_bath_towel.html

I actually buy all my towels bulk like this when I need to...you can get nicer ones for a lot less than you would pay at a retail store.

http://www.towelhub.com/wholesale/bath_sheets/720-30x60_white_100_cotton_premium_plus_full_terry_bath_sheets.html

or colors

http://www.towelhub.com/wholesale/688-30x60_color_beach_towels.html

but I am a cheap bastard
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I've always had success blaming it on the hookers in and out of my room....except the dead one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't remember which hotel it was, but I stayed in a nice one that no-shit had a price list for basically everything. Towels, robes, wash cloths, the fuckin' comforter...

"Steal away", they'll just bill your card. And they were even nice enough to let you know how much. Hint: It was a lot. No sane person would do this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've always had success blaming it on the hookers in and out of my room....except the dead one.
View Quote

Fun story.  I once had a guy fly two hookers from Texas to the hotel (who IMPORTS hookers into A.C.?) and demanded I comp him the room after they robbed him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't post that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't post that.

We're waiting
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Its the hotel saying, "If you want to pay $35 for a $4 towel, have at it..."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to stay at a hotel in the PI that wouldn't let you check out until they sent someone to count the towels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#48]

If you just ask a maid for one, she'll give it to you.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top