Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:36:01 PM EDT

instantly remove any jurors who display conscious or subconscious racist beliefs.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-appeals-court-directs-lower-courts-to-remove-jurors-that-show-racist-beliefs-1.1401586

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
So, no Black jurors?

Wow.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
subconscious racist beliefs?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Instantly remove jurors with subconscious racism?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
subconscious racist beliefs?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
She reported seeing "two dark black fellas" emerging from a park near her home at 7 a.m. one morning, what she described as an unusual sight.

It brought on fears that the two black defendants might retaliate against her, she told the trial judge, Joseph P. Donohue, during a private conference in his chambers.

"I was concerned about my wellbeing," the juror told the judge. She continued: "It's a case that they're both black, and I'm on the case. And I said, gee, that's funny, you know. I wasn't concerned about it when I first went on the case, but I was wondering if they would stalk you if they're found guilty, whatever, you know, if they would go after any of the jurors."
View Quote

After reading the article, yeah, the judge should have removed that juror but it had zero effect on the outcome of the trial.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought police
View Quote

Division of pre-crime.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Political Correctness is Racist
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Did Anthony Kennedy write this opinion by any chance?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The juror in question should have been removed because she said she feared retaliation by or on behalf of the defendants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top