Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 11:18:04 PM EDT
We leave next Saturday morning for a week in St. Maarten. What can I take for protection?  A knife? What knife? A flashlight with scalloped bezel?  What have you guys taken?

We won't go anywhere we shouldn't be. My wife is from there but I still feel naked without my Shield.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This week on Locked Up Abroad.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think your going to be taking much.

Get a rolled up magazine. I'm not kidding. don't believe me ? Have someone strike you in the head with one even moderately hard. Then get back to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a cheap something there so u don't feel bad tossing it if need to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Find something on the island instead of taking something with you. Borrow a steak knife from the hotel and leave it in the room when you check out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine takes a multi tool on cruises and they have never messed with him about having it.

Can you have a multi tool in checked baggage on a flight?

I haven't been on a plane since 1992 so I don't have a clue.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Make one on the beach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
THIS.  Hell, you can even carry it on the plane!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.benchmade.com/products/551H2O

That's what I've taken to Mexico 4 times, and once each to Honduras, Nicaragua and Puerto Rico without any issues. It looks "safe" because of the handle color and mine has spent at least a couple hundred hours in salt water diving and snorkeling.

I also carry a couple of good flashlights. Nice to have just getting around where there are no street lights and if you ever need them, a good improvised weapon.

Just put it in your checked luggage, not the carry on. TSA has missed a couple of things on the way out of the country but the other places security has usually done a better job of finding things.

Main thing is to not look like a drunk easy target to the local criminal element. I've never had problems other than an attempted shake down by the cops in Managua.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you will be on the french side you have to watch out for pickpockets and petty thefts.

Carry a dummy wallet filled with newspaper clippings and a few $1 bills. Keep your real wallet hidden and head on a swivel.

I wouldn't want to deal with the police in a foreign country for having a weapon even if you were just defending yourself.

Do as another poster said and carry a heavy magazine rolled up or the all metal ballpoint pen or mechanical pencil.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
A roll of quarters in a sock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1EbYYXdDw
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have carried a SAK around the world and never been bothered.

It is the most PC knife you can carry and the most folks look at it more as a tool than a knife.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Two bars of soap and a pair of tube socks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Ontario RAT 1. Good and reasonably priced.

RAT 1
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]
You sir, need a cutlass.

Preferably with a silver hilt and the optional eyepatch.

I carried my normal Case stockman last time I was down in Jamaica.

And had a Mora in my checked bag. That way if it got lost stolen or taken I was only out $15. And still had one of the best knives available to me.

That and a small Baggie with para cord, flashlight, water filter straw, and a good bic lighter.

And some Tylenol for the hangovers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Cold Steel brand Machete.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#19]
French or Dutch side?

Visited once on a cruise, port of call was on the Dutch side once. Annoying local vendors.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
French or Dutch side?

Visited once on a cruise, port of call was on the Dutch side once. Annoying local vendors.
View Quote

You'd be annoying too if you had to wear wooden crocs.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#21]

It's called a ratchet you can buy em for a buck on the islands and claim it's a souvenir usually they come kinda dull but there very stabby I carried one in Kingston Jamaica and felt fine walking around

Edit: you can open them like a buck knife or pull on the ring and flick it out fast
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We leave next Saturday morning for a week in St. Maarten. What can I take for protection?  A knife? What knife? A flashlight with scalloped bezel?  What have you guys taken?

We won't go anywhere we shouldn't be. My wife is from there but I still feel naked without my Shield.
View Quote

St. Maarten is fine.

The French side is the dumpy side though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's easy to look up the laws but carrying a knife or anything else considered to be a weapon there and getting caught means 5 years in jail. I doubt you want to get locked up in a Caribbean jail. You should probably look up the laws and consequences instead of asking GD.

US Virgin Islands Code:

§ 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons

(a) Whoever--

(1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, billy, sandclub, metal knuckles, bludgeon, switchblade knife or gravity knife or electric weapon or device; or

(2) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, a dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon shall--

(A) be fined $5,000 and imprisoned not more than five (5) years; or

(B) if he has previously been convicted of a felony, or has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, any such weapon during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence (as defined in section 2253(d)(1) hereof) shall be fined $10,000 and imprisoned not more than fifteen (15) years, which penalty shall be in addition to the penalty provided for the commission of, or attempt to commit, the crime of violence.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy to look up the laws but carrying a knife or anything else considered to be a weapon there and getting caught means 5 years in jail. I doubt you want to get locked up in a Caribbean jail. You should probably look up the laws and consequences instead of asking GD.

US Virgin Islands Code:

§ 2251. Carrying or using dangerous weapons

(a) Whoever--

(1) has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, billy, sandclub, metal knuckles, bludgeon, switchblade knife or gravity knife or electric weapon or device; or

(2) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, a dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon shall--

(A) be fined $5,000 and imprisoned not more than five (5) years; or

(B) if he has previously been convicted of a felony, or has, possesses, bears, transports, carries or has under his proximate control, any such weapon during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence (as defined in section 2253(d)(1) hereof) shall be fined $10,000 and imprisoned not more than fifteen (15) years, which penalty shall be in addition to the penalty provided for the commission of, or attempt to commit, the crime of violence.

He wont be in the US Virgin Islands. Its probably more strict in St. Maarten.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Haven't been there in ions - not sure what is permitted.

I like the flashlight with a strong bezel.

Maybe a knife you're not concerned about letting go.

And -

Don't laugh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Stay in the continental U.S.  where it's safe.  If you need to visit a territory, commonwealth or third world nation, take a trip to Miami, Chicago or Ferguson.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Screwdriver. Bring a set with a wrench and pliers. Pass it off as jic tools.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#27]
St martin is not USVI you twat.

There is a dutchside and a frenchside. You can buy a gun with a silencer there if you live on the french side.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This week on Locked Up Abroad.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You sir, need a cutlass.

Preferably with a silver hilt and the optional eyepatch.

I carried my normal Case stockman last time I was down in Jamaica.

And had a Mora in my checked bag. That way if it got lost stolen or taken I was only out $15. And still had one of the best knives available to me.

That and a small Baggie with para cord, flashlight, water filter straw, and a good bic lighter.

And some Tylenol for the hangovers.
View Quote

A parrot too, don't forget the parrot........
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is a dutchside and a frenchside. You can buy a gun with a silencer there if you live on the french side.
View Quote

Stop it. He keeps touting read the law and doesn't even know what nation to talk about.

I went all over. Carried a crkt knife, unless going to get wet. Found a zytel type folder for that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Carry your to do list\itenerary on an aluminum clipboard available on Amazon. Strike with the edge
If required.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I usually throw a couple of these in my checked bag, when going fishing in mexico....Cheep enough to toss if need be, last day of fishing,if I like the first mate I'll throw it in with the $ tip..

CKRT
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatever Captain Jack Sparrow carried, savvy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Take nothing....

St. Maarten is safe as hell. The police there speak English and carry S&W M&P or Beretta PX4 Storms. Can't remember exactly. The French side is good to go too. The French Gendarmerie and Police Nationale are armed with Sig SP2022s and PAMAS G1s (Beretta 92 Clone). The place is fine.

If you're paranoid enough, grab a steak knife and keep it on you. If you have to ditch it, no loss.

Edit to add...

The French side is a little more poor but for the most part. I never felt in danger while I was there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Cheap ebay or walmart special you can afford to part ways with afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I was just down there for a week.  Not once did I feel threatened or unsafe.

With that being said all I carried with me was a flashlight with a strike bezel.  

As others mentioned maybe borrow a steak knife.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Buy a cheap something there so u don't feel bad tossing it if need to.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  We travel to St. Martin for our annual vacation, and I do exactly this.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#39]
ANY knife in those countries if caught will get your ass in trouble. St. Maarten is safer than South Miami so worry about packing your sunscreen, mask and snorkel. On that, a dive knife isn't considered to be a weapon so much by a lot of these countries so if you *must* pack something; pick up a blunt-end dive knife.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Take nothing....  

St. Maarten is safe as hell. The police there speak English and carry S&W M&P or Beretta PX4 Storms. Can't remember exactly. The French side is good to go too. The French Gendarmerie and Police Nationale are armed with Sig SP2022s and PAMAS G1s (Beretta 92 Clone). The place is fine.

If you're paranoid enough, grab a steak knife and keep it on you. If you have to ditch it, no loss.

Edit to add...

The French side is a little more poor but for the most part. I never felt in danger while I was there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take nothing....  

Edit to add...

Good advice for a lot of places in the US too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

ANY knife in those countries if caught will get your ass in trouble. St. Maarten is safer than South Miami so worry about packing your sunscreen, mask and snorkel. On that, a dive knife isn't considered to be a weapon so much by a lot of these countries so if you *must* pack something; pick up a blunt-end dive knife.

View Quote
Shit... St. Maarten is safer than Atlanta, Washington DC, NYC, and pretty much anywhere in the US.

It is a tourist destination. The Dutch crack down hard on anything that is a risk to the tourist dollar. The French side is a little poorer but still safe as hell.

Oh, what keeps them safe is Orient Beach... it is a nude beach. Don't except hot chicks. More like 80 year olds with their vag dragging in the sand and old dudes with dental floss bikini bottoms cupping their nuts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shit... St. Maarten is safer than Atlanta, Washington DC, NYC, and pretty much anywhere in the US.    

It is a tourist destination. The Dutch crack down hard on anything that is a risk to the tourist dollar. The French side is a little poorer but still safe as hell.

Oh, what keeps them safe is Orient Beach... it is a nude beach. Don't except hot chicks. More like 80 year olds with their vag dragging in the sand and old dudes with dental floss bikini bottoms cupping their nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Club Orient is the nude beach; the rest of Orient Beach is not (but all beaches on the French side are topless).  The old, tanned, saggy nudes are all over Club O, as you state.  Further up from there around Kakao there are often some very hot women to be found who embrace the topless environment.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I carried a kershaw cryo in Barbados. Never had an issue
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine takes a multi tool on cruises and they have never messed with him about having it.

View Quote

You can put damn near anything in your checked luggage.  I always have a leatherman and a knife in mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Loong time ago read that a popular tactic with the low profile crowd was to pack some duct tape and cardboard, once in country pick up a couple of cheap knives in a hardware store and make a sheath out of the tape and cardboard.
Just throw them away when you leave, if you do use them they are just local knives and don't scream foreigner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't believe you'll need one; but if you really want a knife, pick up a steak knife from your table at your hotel restaurant and return it before you leave for home.

Cruise ship?

Just don't try to bring it back on board; drop it into the water at the pier.

Seriously; you won't be needing a knife.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#48]

I have carried one of these to many outside countries where they frown on knives with no second glance given them

Spyderco rescue and Rescue JR...get a yellow or orange one...and even though you cant stab with them....cutting and slashing ability is amazing with these things...

and instead of pocket carry where a clip can give you away...I use kydex neck sheaths
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#49]
or like my latest traveling item that I use if no gun is allowed...

my cane...

Nylatron and steel

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Checked bagged, yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top