Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
are a waste of time...

some posts from 2 or 4 different people came across my FB about the yard sales they were having and how disappointing they were in terms of low turnout.

Honestly, it seems like unless you have something really useful like tools that people are always looking for, you are just better off hauling your stuff off to goodwill and getting the tax write-off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
egh tell me about it.

i see a post on here about some guy finding a M14 or some other old gun for 50 bucks and I'm like fuck yeah I'm going to yard sales and after 2 weeks of nothing but baby clothes I'm like fuck this shit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yard sales are for people who can't throw out their garbage.

Estate sales are a different animal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
We made about $400 at are last one. Had a lot of baby stuff to sale.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I think part of the problem is they are rarely a place for good deals now.

Before ebay and craigslist you could snag stuff people didn't want any more for pretty cheap.

Now they want you pay damn near retail for something they don't even want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

They're kind of like gun shows.

They used to be good, but now they're just crap.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh.  I had a good one last February prior to a move.  All my clothing and toys were sold in the first couple of hours to old Hispanic ladies.  Some guy came and bought all the broken yard tools.  Hipsters came like ants and took away all the shit that didn't sell.  I made about $350 on shit i would have had to pay someone to hall away.

EDIT: Part of the problem is that people price their yellow and brown stained under ware as if it were recently banned yellow and brown under ware.  I price my shit to move, not pay for kids college education.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife makes enough to buy Xmas presents most years selling off all the shit the kids got the year before and don't play with...along with the clothes they grew out of.

Seems to work for us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

one of these was actually an estate sale...

from the photos that were posted of the for sale items it looked like the relatives had probably picked everything over pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Last one I went to had a mint condition Chinese AK sling for $1. He didn't have change so he gave it to me for free. I felt kind of weird just taking it, but it was in a hangar at a small airport and he was just trying to get rid of junk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The key I find is patience. You are going to look through a lot of stuff to find that one diamond. Another thing that helps is widening what you are looking for. If you go looking for gun stuff you could be forever. I have found stuff for the house/ kitchen and even some small xmas presents this year. Most of it for pennies on the dollar. It takes time because there are tons of sales with nothing but baby clothes and junk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

from the photos that were posted of the for sale items it looked like the relatives had probably picked everything over pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's every estate sale. If it's worth anything and it's there, it wasn't worth moving back home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Whenever my wife organizes a yard sale I leave. She sits out there all day with shit that I told her to throw away months ago. Then at the end of the day she bitches about how she made all of $12. Last time she had a yard sale I had said to her that everything that she didn't sell goes in the trash. At the end of the day, everything she didn't sell went in the bed of my truck and I took it to the local dump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad went today. Got a hole bunch of fuses ( like more than we will ever use), 5 or 6 craftsman impact sockets, and a good ladder. Payed $20.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I tell people to stop going. They're junk. Trash. No good. Overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Before ebay and craigslist you could snag stuff people didn't want any more for pretty cheap.

View Quote

Internet killed it. Years ago you could find tools or stuff the seller had no idea what it was or
what it was worth. Now just goggle it and find what the thing is worth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Internet killed it. Years ago you could find tools or stuff the seller had no idea what it was or
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still can!

Not everyone is on the Internet. A lot of people have a distrust for the Interne and its shenanigans.

I found a lot of good stuff this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top