Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tips = to insure professional service.   1 hour wait time is no insuring professional service.
They failed to serve. The diner failed to tip.

Seems fair
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Tips = not mandatory.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People who don't tip are the worst kind of scum.  Period.

Eat at McDonalds you cheap trash.
View Quote

Tips are not required.

Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank a democrat.

And if you don't like the tips you're getting, Go find a minimum wage job. Plenty to be had. No one is forcing you to work in the food industry and I'm sure as fuck at the end of the week you're making more than minimum wage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make," she wrote. "I need tips to pay my bills. All waiters do.

Thank a democrat.

And if you don't like the tips you're getting, Go find a minimum wage job. Plenty to be had. No one is forcing you to work in the food industry and I'm sure as fuck at the end of the week you're making more than minimum wage.

Tipped staff make minimum wage. They like to pretend the FLSA isn't a thing when looking for sympathy, as in the article.

Next they'll claim that many restaurants ignore the FLSA. This is true, but of course a person can file a complaint with the DOL and get damages (which can eventually lead to a company being told they can't utilize the tip credit). Of course, to open a complaint the DOL is going to want to see proof and documentation. Which requires you to keep documentation. Which will often with tipped staff show that what you really made in tips is different than what you told the IRS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I stopped eating out when they included tips in your bill.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Whats with people taking their shit tips to the media lately?
View Quote

Do you comprehend that base pay for a waiter is only $2-3/hr so you can have your $15 steak dinner?

This is so the staff will pay attention to you and care about the service they provide.

Or

Would you rather pay $30-40 for your dinner and have the staff care about as much as the McD's cashier?

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One did it, it got attention, so others followed suit because they want attention too.

"Restaraunt tip/receipt notes" is bundled in with "I experienced horrible racism!" and shit to me. Take them with a pound of Kosher salt.

People fabricate shit all the time for attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One did it, it got attention, so others followed suit because they want attention too.

"Restaraunt tip/receipt notes" is bundled in with "I experienced horrible racism!" and shit to me. Take them with a pound of Kosher salt.

People fabricate shit all the time for attention.

This. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out this was faked. Most of the other "bad tip" stories that made it into the media have turned out to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

She claims she gave good service on the things she was able.  She can't help the kitchen being slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of fool tips for poor service?

She claims she gave good service on the things she was able.  She can't help the kitchen being slow.

Three sides to every story, we've read one of those sides.

Maybe these people waited an hour for their food because she forgot to put it in, maybe the kitchen was really busy.  Maybe she put in the order wrong, or maybe she was a stuck up bitch.  Who knows.

As a former server, I've seen it all regarding good tips, bad tips, an no tips.  In my experience 90% of your tips reflect not only the service of the restaurant but your ability to read and accommodate the client.  Sure you'll get the occasional cheap ass, but those are typically balanced out with the overly generous.  Most people will give 15-20% if you can keep their drink filled, and service prompt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless she screwed up getting their order to the kitchen she doesn't deserve to be stiffed.  She has no control over the kitchen.
View Quote

She has control of where she works - if she is constantly being screwed out of tips by a crappy kitchen staff then she should get a waitressing job somewhere else. If it only happened this once then there really was no reason to complain about it publicly - she certainly doesn't rely on just that one tables bad tip due to their bad experience to pay her way through college.

If it happens a lot and the kitchen staff really isn't bad then it's really her and she isn't telling the full story.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't like it? Get another job that doesn't require someone giving you money out of generosity.
View Quote

it isn't generosity. For what ever reason, servers are the one class of job that are allowed to be underpaid because of the social norm that you tip them a certain percentage.

What we need to do is get rid of that retarded system, raise prices, pay an increased, static wage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Cue the Mr. Pink meme....

Yeah, maybe its unfair, but, fuck her...crying about it on the internet...

"I need my tips to pay my bills...."

Well, then find a job that doesn't "rely" on tips...

I wonder if she bitches and moans when she is OVER tipped?

She can always fall back on sucking dicks for cash...under the table (no pun intended), no taxes, lots of win there for an enterprising lass...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh my goodness, I hope that someone starts a go fund me page for this so that I can express my sympathy and demonstrate my egalitarianism by giving her a whole bunch of money!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So you're saying it's her fault the place was busy?   It's her fault the kitchen was backed up?  

She can keep them apprised of the situation, and keep the drinks/snacks coming... but that's about all that's within her sphere of control.  Anything else, you should  take up with the manager.  

Taking it out on the wait staff isn't a great way to register your displeasure, and being a snarky wise-ass about it is just gratuitous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying it's her fault the place was busy?   It's her fault the kitchen was backed up?  

She can keep them apprised of the situation, and keep the drinks/snacks coming... but that's about all that's within her sphere of control.  Anything else, you should  take up with the manager.  

Taking it out on the wait staff isn't a great way to register your displeasure, and being a snarky wise-ass about it is just gratuitous.

I explained my position a little better in subsequent posts.  Ultimately though, if the manager didn't give the meal for free/deeply discounted, I wouldn't leave a tip, because I wouldn't pay full price + tip for 1hr+ wait.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Welcome to being part of a team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless she screwed up getting their order to the kitchen she doesn't deserve to be stiffed.  She has no control over the kitchen.

Welcome to being part of a team.

I'd still tip the server myself but I understand.  She's the customer's advocate with the kitchen and the management.  She benefits when the kitchen serves out a killer meal with a quickness just as she sinks when they fall on their face.  She should be taking this up with her boss, not taking it out on the customer on social media.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What I did in a similar situation:

Complained to the manager about the long wait, while making it clear that the waitress was very nice.  When the manager gave my family the meal for free, I gave the waitress $20 (would have been ~$100 bill).

I've also gotten up and left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Complained to the manager about the long wait, while making it clear that the waitress was very nice.  When the manager gave my family the meal for free, I gave the waitress $20 (would have been ~$100 bill).

This is what I've done, too.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

She has control of where she works - if she is constantly being screwed out of tips by a crappy kitchen staff then she should get a waitressing job somewhere else. If it only happened this once then there really was no reason to complain about it publicly - she certainly doesn't rely on just that one tables bad tip due to their bad experience to pay her way through college.

If it happens a lot and the kitchen staff really isn't bad then it's really her and she isn't telling the full story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it happens a lot, the place won't be open for long.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you comprehend that base pay for a waiter is only $2-3/hr so you can have your $15 steak dinner?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This guy's article on how he made one of his restaurants with tips and the other tip free and the difference it made is a very good one.

http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview/
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Something I always wondered... If you leave a tip with a credit card, couldn't the waiter change the tip amount and total amount. I think it would be a pain in the ass for the person who paid to dispute. She could have written over that lol and made it look like the guy was leave $10 or something and scratch out the second 'l'. The restaurant manager is the one who tips out at the end of the night?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Bad kitchen service isn't the waitress' fault.  Complain to the restaurant manager, not the waitress.

Options besides screwing the waitress over are:

-  Complain to the manager
- Leave. (tip for drinks.)
- Wait.

Unfortunately, it seems to happen with me a lot. Especially at conventions and the like. This past year at the mid America Truck Show we went to Eddie Merlot's, took 3 hours from seating, to the bill. We got a 25% discount because they forgot to staff up for the truck show.

However, when I went to dinner with my Lansing Michigan division once, the waitress:
A. Forgot about us. (No drinks / etc. for over 30 minutes.)
B. Messed up all our orders.
C. Forgot about us again.

For 8 people, she got a shitty tip.  As, it was her fault. And, we will not be back to that restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Bitching about customers is a sure way to get more tips.  I can understand tipping at a place where they pretty much run back and forth but even the country buffet style places are bitching about tips. How hard is it to carry around a pitcher of coke and bring a ticket out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

She can always fall back on sucking dicks for cash...under the table (no pun intended), no taxes, lots of win there for an enterprising lass...
View Quote

Would you suggest that to your daughter if she didn't get good tips one night?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

it isn't generosity. For what ever reason, servers are the one class of job that are allowed to be underpaid because of the social norm that you tip them a certain percentage.

What we need to do is get rid of that retarded system, raise prices, pay an increased, static wage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't like it? Get another job that doesn't require someone giving you money out of generosity.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf

They do make a static wage, and a minimum wage.  They are not underpaid.

The tip system exists so that servers, if they're good, can make more than minimum wage without impacting the very tight bottom line of the restaurant industry.

And many servers I know, especially in DC, do not want what you call for as (1)it'll heavily reduce their income (a bartender in Georgetown on a good Saturday can make bank) and (2)it decreases the amount of tax fraud they can engage in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Luckily don't have a daughter.

B. If I did, I would hope I would have raised her well enough not to cry in public over being stiffed on a tip...

Sorry, but if she is classless enough to bitch and moan in public about not getting a tip, then I don't have much respect for her. She probably is a Bernie Sanders supporter....
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Concur, but do you determine your tip based on the quality of the waitstaff or the restaurant as a whole?  I skew towards waitstaff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A tip isn't mandatory.

I say this as a high tipper.

Concur, but do you determine your tip based on the quality of the waitstaff or the restaurant as a whole?  I skew towards waitstaff.

I typically base it on quality of the waitstaff. Some things are beyond their control, and everyone knows that. How they handle it can make a huge difference.

In this instance, it sounds like a case of assholes colliding.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#31]
For all those who seem to be siding with the waitress, have you forgotten the waitress who said a family stiffed her and wrote a homophobic response in the tip section last year?  Youre assuming shes being truthful about the circumstances.  Not to mention tips arent mandatory.  Does she complain about the tips that are under 15% as well?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Something I always wondered... If you leave a tip with a credit card, couldn't the waiter change the tip amount and total amount. I think it would be a pain in the ass for the person who paid to dispute. She could have written over that lol and made it look like the guy was leave $10 or something and scratch out the second 'l'. The restaurant manager is the one who tips out at the end of the night?
View Quote

They could...but if the customer catches it, and disputes it, the waiter/waitress is out of a job.

I always save the customer copy of restaurant receipts until the transaction posts online as a safeguard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
PreFuxkingCisely

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's how it's done, but what you did and what you posted first don't exactly coincide.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

That's how it's done, but what you did and what you posted first don't exactly coincide.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Waiting an hour isn't the fault of the servers .   Leave or take it up with management

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For all those who seem to be siding with the waitress, have you forgotten the waitress who said a family stiffed her and wrote a homophobic response in the tip section last year?  Youre assuming shes being truthful about the circumstances.  Not to mention tips arent mandatory.  Does she complain about the tips that are under 15% as well?
View Quote

Or as I rhetorically asked, does she bitch about being tipped OVER 15%...or does she give the extra to her co-workers who might have been stiffed on a bill, that's how a true socialist would operate...

I bet she smiles and takes the extra money.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waitress usually tip out.  That means a greeter and the cooks get a portion of the tips.  Not leaving a tip made the point if the kitchen staff had their heads up their ass.

I usually speak with a manager if service is lacking.  Not leaving a tip won't fix the problem, but management must be aware if you want appropriate changes made.

Publicly bitching about it is just lack of maturity.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I tip at McDonalds too. Anyone who doesn't is cheap.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If only she made 15.00 per hour all would be well.  

View Quote

She'd still be wanting a tip.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tough shit.  

ETA: I tip regardless of service, and I never send anything back.
View Quote

I do too, however, anymore I wonder why I bother.

Some waitresses I have been happy to give a 30%+ tip to while others I gave 15% and felt cheated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

When did tips become mandatory?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Thank a democrat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make," she wrote. "I need tips to pay my bills. All waiters do.

Thank a democrat.

Also... the IRS doesn't exactly have Cameras inside restaurants, where they make damn sure every last tip is accounted for.

Just sayin.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
interesting article. I think I would be put off by the required tip v if he had just increased prices a certain percentage without saying anything  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy's article on how he made one of his restaurants with tips and the other tip free and the difference it made is a very good one.

http://jayporter.com/dispatches/observations-from-a-tipless-restaurant-part-1-overview/
interesting article. I think I would be put off by the required tip v if he had just increased prices a certain percentage without saying anything  

His restaurant closed before the DOL made changes to how mandatory service charges were treated under the FLSA. It used to be, under the law, that the mandatory service charge was considered a "tip" legally. The DOL in 2014 decided that, nope, since the customer had no say that it didn't count as a tip but as part of the employer's gross receipts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the poor service the fault of the server?
Did they hold the party up and not seat them for an hour or did the party arrive at rush hour on a weekend and expect to be seated immediately?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Why should the customer have to ask for the manager to complain?

Wait staff is part of a team right? She seen it was taking WAY too long, why didn't she get the manager involved early? Get him to offer up some free pie or something?

She knows her tips are effected by this doesn't she?

Why didn't the manager come out on his own to fix the problems? They are the team leader right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of the receipts I have seen, that had a line for tip?  I always zeroed them out.  I've always handed the tip directly to the waiter/waitress, or, left it on the table.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Take it up with management, not the waitress.

The diners were dicks to the wrong person.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Waitress usually tip out.  That means a greeter and the cooks get a portion of the tips.  Not leaving a tip made the point if the kitchen staff had their heads up their ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cooks are legally not allowed to be a part of any tip pool.

Tip Pool: The requirement that an employee must retain all tips does not preclude a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement among employees who customarily and regularly receive tips, such as waiters, waitresses, bellhops, counter personnel (who serve customers), bussers, and service bartenders. A valid tip pool may not include employees who do not customarily and regularly received tips, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top