Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2015 8:24:24 PM EDT

A philosophy and religion professor at Syracuse University gave an interview to The New York Times Thursday in which he critiqued the notion of pure reason as simply being a "white male Euro-Christian construction.”

Prof. John Caputo was being interviewed by fellow philosophy professor George Yancy for the 13th installment of an interview series Yancy conducts with philosophers regarding racial topics.

Given its emphasis on first principles and abstract thought, it may be tempting to view academic philosophy as a turf where the race of participants matters little, but Caputo says that’s entirely untrue. In fact, race is of central importance, and it’s proven by the mundane phrases philosophers use.

"‘White’ is of the utmost relevance to philosophy, and postmodern theory helps us to see why,” Caputo says in the interview. "I was once criticized for using the expression ‘true north.’It reflected my Nordo-centrism, my critic said, and my insensitivity to people who live in the Southern Hemisphere. Of course, no such thing had ever crossed my mind, but that points to the problem. We tend to say ‘we’ and to assume who ‘we’ are, which once simply meant ‘we white male Euro-Christians.’

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/03/professor-reason-itself-is-a-white-male-construct/#ixzz3esTQuftS
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Another academic white guilt fuck, what a surprise.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
He should eat a bag of dicks and then jump into a huge fire.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because reasons.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
When one society conquers the world you should probably try to be more like them because apparently it works.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Saying reason isn't important is like arguing with physics in a free fall.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Will he also be killing himself like the other guy?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because reasons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because reasons.

You have awakened my feels sir and I now think of you as a friend.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
What the fuck did I just read? I want my brain cells back.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A philosophy and religion professor at Syracuse University gave an interview to The New York Times Thursday in which he critiqued the notion of pure reason as simply being a "white male Euro-Christian construction.”
Prof. John Caputo was being interviewed by fellow philosophy professor George Yancy for the 13th installment of an interview series Yancy conducts with philosophers regarding racial topics.
Given its emphasis on first principles and abstract thought, it may be tempting to view academic philosophy as a turf where the race of participants matters little, but Caputo says that’s entirely untrue. In fact, race is of central importance, and it’s proven by the mundane phrases philosophers use.
"‘White’ is of the utmost relevance to philosophy, and postmodern theory helps us to see why,” Caputo says in the interview. "I was once criticized for using the expression ‘true north.’It reflected my Nordo-centrism, my critic said, and my insensitivity to people who live in the Southern Hemisphere. Of course, no such thing had ever crossed my mind, but that points to the problem. We tend to say ‘we’ and to assume who ‘we’ are, which once simply meant ‘we white male Euro-Christians.’
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/03/professor-reason-itself-is-a-white-male-construct/#ixzz3esTQuftS
View Quote

I guess he Kant understand it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When one society conquers the world you should probably try to be more like them because apparently it works.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
so i guess the fact that pagan, brown people developed the idea is irrelevant?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess he Kant understand it.

View Quote

niiiice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Greeks are honorary honkeys, I think.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure Christianity didn't exist in the times of the ancient Greeks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
And just to add some fun to this mix, let's not forget the highly unpopular opinions of James Watson, co-discoverer of the DNA structure and winner of the 1962 Nobel Prize in medicine (back when it was awarded solely on merit) on innate intelligence and race.  Just had to throw this in to spice things up. No "hate" here, just looking to keep the debate lively.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been having doubts about the validity of gravity recently myself.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
So people with roots in the Southern Hemisphere are inherently irrational?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Dirty cis-gendered nordo-centrist.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been having doubts about the validity of gravity recently myself.
View Quote

Gravity is one of my triggers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I thought the same thing at first but part of their olive skin color probably comes from centuries of interbreeding with brown peoples.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]
So the power to comprehend and deduce in a rational and orderly way also known as critical thinking is a White Male construct?

Would have sworn it was a Conservative construct since it is overwhelmingly obvious the Progressive Left is void of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I self identify as an other worldly being.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#25]
From the Article
What is not white is not rational.
View Quote

Dude's just a racist Democrat ranting away about his self-defined superiority.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Those who can, do...

TC
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#27]
stopped at professor and jacked off on the screen
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So people with roots in the Southern Hemisphere are inherently irrational?
View Quote
This follows, clearly.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Christianity didn't exist in the times of the ancient Greeks.
View Quote

& white males started it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Marxist "logic".

All races are the same!

except Whites who are evil

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
When I hit reply, I noticed the field in which I was expected (by the white male power structure) to type my reply was white! Oh ARFCOM, how deep doth thy racism run?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

this shit is unreal isn't it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This dude is just signaling to his peers that he's one of them. It's like self-flagellation in the middle ages. Stupid shit the elite do to show that they are part of the team.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on the unbounded stupidity of his "thinking", I suspect that he has already done that.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
The inventiveness gene.  History shows which groups have it.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
True north is a euphemism for white privilege. Not an actual thingy having to do with polarity and stuff. It's like gravity- mystical. White constructs are racist.

Dude is a nutjob.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm trying to follow his reasoning, but I can't find any.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Based on the unbounded stupidity of his "thinking", I suspect that he has already done that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, at least one of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
No. We should emulate the losers because we don't want them to feel bad. And when the economy crashes because we are all losers, we all get to starve. Finally equality!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm trying to follow his reasoning, but I can't find any.
View Quote

He abandoned it because, you know, it's racist.

I hope he has a flat tire on a major freeway and a dead cell phone to go with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Saying reason isn't important is like arguing with physics in a free fall.
View Quote

DAMM Good analogy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Tell me... when did John Caputo the Whitte abandon reason for madness?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I 'reason' this guy is drinking downstream of the poop hole.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because reasons.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#47]
"white male Euro-Christian construction.”
That can't be. I thought only atheists used reason?  See other thread.

Is he saying liberals/black people are unreasonable?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]
When I say 'We', I do mean people like me.

For that, I am unapologetic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What in the fuckin Hegel did I just read???
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#50]
So basically what he is saying (or should be saying) is if not for the awesome ability and intellect of the white males frontal lobe reasoning skills, the human race coming out of the jungle/stone age would not have happened.
So the next time someone wipes their ass with something besides their hand they can thank a white male and then just keep on thanking us from there as their day goes on.
Take the white male out of human history and human history looses everything down to flush toilets.
All I have to say to all non-white males; You're welcome .
That said, the ability to jump is an equally important ability in bringing mankind into the modern world.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top