Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:10:36 PM EDT
I don't want to sound like I'm whining in this thread, because this isn't a big deal in my life. It's just something annoying I've noticed that I can't seem to figure out the specific reason for. I'm very much an introvert, and I don't particularly enjoy meeting new people. I especially do not enjoy listening to their boring stories. I try to be polite to people I meet, and humor them to the best of my ability. After a while, though, I literally run out of responses other than "oh wow" or "that's pretty crazy." But sometimes people just keep on talking. Can they just not tell that I'm utterly disinterested and annoyed that they are still talking to me? I just wish that people would shut the fuck up and go away most of the time.

Are there people out there who have no conception of the fact that anybody could possibly find them a bother and a bore?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
oh wow
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't want to sound like I'm whining in this thread, because this isn't a big deal in my life. It's just something annoying I've noticed that I can't seem to figure out the specific reason for. I'm very much an introvert, and I don't particularly enjoy meeting new people. I especially do not enjoy listening to their boring stories. I try to be polite to people I meet, and humor them to the best of my ability. After a while, though, I literally run out of responses other than "oh wow" or "that's pretty crazy." But sometimes people just keep on talking. Can they just not tell that I'm utterly disinterested and annoyed that they are still talking to me? I just wish that people would shut the fuck up and go away most of the time.

Are there people out there who have no conception of the fact that anybody could possibly find them a bother and a bore?
View Quote

Yes, the bothers and the bores.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty crazy
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty much how I feel.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh huh..................................................................uh huh......................................................mmmm.................................................uh huh.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Hang a sign around your neck stating that you're a boring introvert.  People will get the message, sooner, rather than later.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I simply turn away from those people and walk away. Sure, It's rude, but they rarely try to engage me in a long, intimate conversation again. And my behavior amuses some co-workers and scares the hell out of Management.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Learn to communicate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn to communicate.
View Quote

With people I don't want to communicate with? Who only wish to waste my time? And who can do nothing for me? Why?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Take control of the conversation and steer it to where you want it to go.

Where are you from?
Do you have a family?
Where did you go to school?
Do you like to shoot, fish, hunt?
Do you grill?
Etc.

It puts you in control of the discussion and eliminates the awkward pauses. You might be surprised who you meet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a symptom of our culture, totally self absorbed to the point that they are oblivus to others disinterest in their prattle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where are you from?
Do you have a family?
Do you grill?
Etc.

It puts you in control of the discussion and eliminates the awkward pauses. You might be surprised who you meet.
View Quote

To be honest, most of the time I just want it to end.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
......no conception of the fact that anybody could possibly find them a bother and a bore?
View Quote

Apparently you have no conception that you are a bother and a bore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy... Just say, "Excuse me, I have a suppurating boil on my ass that I need to get lanced.  Can you smell it?"

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Seriously though, you need to learn how to be an escape artist.

When the monologue starts to drag on, pinch your knees together. Wait 10 seconds and then make an uncomfortable look. Then say "I'm sorry, but I REALLY need to hit the john." Then take off in a flash.

Go into the bathroom, look in the mirror, and ask yourself why you're wasting time with people you don't care about.

Flush the toilet for sound effect, then get the hell out of there.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Some people express liking someone by talking about themselves, because they want the other person to know more about them and like them in return.

They also perceive polite attention as real attention and interpret that as approval and interest.

You're very likely unintentionally encouraging them to keep on talking.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Dan, out of curiosity... What do you do for a living?

Also, I would invite you to take the Briggs Meyer personality test. Post your results please. I have a feeling I know what it'll be.

To answer your question, just put up with it and smile.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
oh wow
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
......no conception of the fact that anybody could possibly find them a bother and a bore?

I'm not the one prattling on to people I don't even know about my knee surgery or where I worked in the mid 90s.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh wow, that's crazy
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
*glance at phone*

"Shit. Would you excuse me, please?"

Then leave.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, I would invite you to take the Briggs Meyer personality test. Post your results please. I have a feeling I know what it'll be.

View Quote

I've taken it. INTJ. I'm in the mil.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh wow

I chuckled.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Bless your heart
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#26]
No conception. Mhmm...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Learn to communicate.
View Quote

The people the OP is talking about don't want to "communicate," they want to hear their own voice and hope to impress with their stupid stories.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Where are you from?
Do you have a family?
Do you grill?
Etc.

View Quote

This is how I am when dudes start rambling on about sports. I change the subject quickly to something worthwhile before I fall asleep.  With chicks I just stare at their tits until they get the message that I'm not interested in their in their mundane stories.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I usually just stare into their eyes and start breathing heavily and the conversation will taper off and they go away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh wow Op, Thats pretty crazy....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is how I am when dudes start rambling on about sports. I change the subject quickly to something worthwhile before I fall asleep.  With chicks I just stare at their tits until they get the message that I'm not interested in their in their mundane stories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you from?
Do you have a family?
Do you grill?
Etc.

The worst is when they start telling me about their fucking fantasy football team.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, I feel the same way sometimes. But more often then not I enjoy bullshitting with people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh wow Op, Thats pretty crazy....
View Quote

I know. A true CSB.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not the one prattling on to people I don't even know about my knee surgery or where I worked in the mid 90s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing a good job of prattling on about people you think are a bother and a bore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#35]

In my office I have a copy of the Sea Monkey ad from the back of old comic books hanging up. The reason?

One day I commented that talking to the new engineers at work was as productive as naming your pet sea monkeys. There's no point in bothering because, in neither case, are they gonna be around for long.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I interview people for a living. People want to talk and they are mostly dying to find someone who will listen to them. My job mostly consists of giving them permission to talk and most all of them just run on and on and on and on  until they are finally empty.

I hardly ever have to even ask questions.  If you want to shut someone up you have 3 options.

1. Tell them to shut the fuck up and walk away from them. Generally frowned upon by polite society and has a 50/50 chance of them wanting to talk with you in increasingly loud tones.

2.  Ask lots of questions. People hate to be asked lots of questions. They want to talk uninterrupted and questions fuck with their flow.

3. Talk. Talk about shit you want to talk about. Most people don't want to listen to other people and they will very quickly run away from that fucking chatty bastard who just won't shut up. Can;t he tell I don't give a fuck about what he's saying. Why can't he just shut up. Is he that oblivious?

You're welcome

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am like OP. Plus I have taken the Briggs Myers test, result: INTJ
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're doing a good job of prattling on about people you think are a bother and a bore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, did I hit a little too close to home?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

I just put up with it because often times, those people are helpful, and its good to work on your friendly appearance face.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm similar
I also hate meaningless small talk, like in the elevator at work someone always has to comment about the weather. I can handle silences without them being awkward for me. In fact I usually prefer silence
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm similar
I also hate meaningless small talk, like in the elevator at work someone always has to comment about the weather. I can handle silences without them being awkward for me
View Quote

Yeah. I don't mind short, polite interactions like an elevator ride. I just find the extended periods (like when you're in the waiting room at the dentist) where you are stuck with somebody that wants to blabber at you to be irritating.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

I just put up with it because often times, those people are helpful, and its good to work on your friendly appearance face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

INTJ Master Race in the house.

All lesser beings kneel before your introverted judgmental betters!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Faking is where you're fucking up.

Just turn and walk away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

iNTJ here too. That's why I was asking. I feel your pain. Most people don't understand.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Faking is where you're fucking up.

Just turn and walk away.
View Quote

Not the best idea at work. I'm far less indulgent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Im with you OP

I can be minding my own business at work doing my job and someone will come up and start talking,Im polite but I keep doing my job avoiding eye contact and just making comments like really/geez/wow etc.and they just keep talking

buddy of mine was laughing his ass off yesterday at the vendor that kept it up for damn near 30mins,30mins of me making grunting sounds and speaking single word comments every now and then and he just kept talking
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
iNTJ here too. That's why I was asking. I feel your pain. Most people don't understand.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intj here too.

I know that feels, bro.

word
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually,I believe I did.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see. You said I was a bother and a bore after I said some other people were bothers and bores. Then you said I was prattling on about them after I talked about how I disliked the way they prattled on about stupid shit. Then you said you hit close to home after I said that my comments hit close to home with you.

Yeah bro, you really gave me a rhetorical kick in the dick.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top