Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 8:28:57 PM EDT

I always hear.. "If I only had 10 minutes to talk to my dad" or "I wish my mom knew..."

What would you say?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
probably not much

i'd hug the shit out of them though
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]

What are Saturday's numbers?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
First post nailed it
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd tell my mom about her grandson and tell her how much I miss her and how I wish she was here to know him and for him to know her.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to sit with my Grandfather that I never met and ask him about his side of the family.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]

I'd say, "grandfather, why did you kill yourself? I always wanted to talk to you"

Alas, I look into his photos and wonder what he was thinking at the time....

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

probably not much

View Quote

This. All my relatives that have passed away knew I loved them because I told them.

If anything, I'd apologize to my grandpa for not spending more time with him in his last days.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First post nailed it
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure, but a lot of time would be telling my dad about the grandson he hasn't met. I'm teaching my son all the wacky shit my dad taught me!

ETA: I'd also ask how the hell my half-brothers got his lawyer to convince him to change his will completely? I'd also let him know that they have guns he has gifted me since I was 10, that they will never give me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd spend 10 minutes telling my grandma about her only great granddaughter.  She passed away 3 months before she was born.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
"You were right about what kids would do to me!"

I want my mom back.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
probably not much

View Quote

This. Not sure I'd actually be able to speak at that point anyway. If I could do it, I'd ask Grandpa if I've yet become even half the man he was.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My grandfather passed when I was 9 years old............he died doing what he loved, preaching the Gospel and went the way he wanted to go. I have many questions that I would ask, but first I would tell him I loved him and missed him very much
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Ask them what hell feels like. Maybe drink a glass of water
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. All my relatives that have passed away knew I loved them because I told them.
If anything, I'd apologize to my grandpa for not spending more time with him in his last days.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
probably not much

the last time I ever saw my grandfather I was home sick from school.  he came over to bring me a bunch of fruit and I was too busy being sick/watching TV to give him much notice

why would I, right?  he'd been around my whole life and when you're young you never really expect that to change

I doubt very seriously that in 10 minutes I could be well enough composed to get anything of note out but i'd be sure to tell him how much I regret that day and how much I've missed him every day since
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
"Why were you such a bitch?  You do know that nobody liked you and your husband remarried almost as soon as you died, right?  No one from your church cared about you either, judging by who showed up at your funeral.  By the way, how's hell?"

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd tell my Mother that I was sorry for being a drunken asshole and didn't mean what I said, right before I hung up the phone. I'd tell her how much I love her and how much I miss her. Beyond those things I can't think of anything else that I would want to say. It was pretty fucking stupid for the last things that my Mother hear me say was that she didn't know what she was talking about.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
"Dad, I'm lost.  What should I do?"

To which his reply may be, "Don't really know.  Do they still make Red, White, & Blue beer?"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I Miss You
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I am so sorry you had to die and I miss you terribly.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I would say " son I wish I had done more for you"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
That's a tough question in my case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Grandma, I ran down to the store and got you a six pack of Dixie! What's next weeks Lotto number? I got to put Mom & Dad on easy street. Love and miss you and I'll see you as soon as the Lord's finished with me. Give me a big hug  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd talk to my Gram. I could talk to my brother, but he died too young for me to know him and I wouldn't have a clue what to talk about.
I'd probably apologize for arguing with my Mom at Christmas about stupid petty shit. I was mad at my mom for bringing stuff up and trying to make the day about her problems when all I wanted was peace and love in the house because Gram was dying of cancer. I'd want a big hug, and I'd like to say goodbye properly instead of the, "Hey, I'll see you in a few weeks, I've got to drive back out to Cleveland for work. Love you and stay tough, you'll beat it."

I did see her in a few weeks, at her funeral, the weekend I had planned to come back to spend time with her.

I heard her tell the room that she thought that I was her hero as the front door shut. I must not have been a very good one.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I think about that all the time.
With my father I would tell one story about one grieving child that I counseled with his dog. It was an amazing story revealing an issue the girl was having when something that transpired  with the therapy dog and the girl that is something that usually happens between patient and therapist. He would have been amazed. Sorry to be vague.

My mother (although alive? is wracked with Alzheimer's) would hear a list of everything she ever did for me that she might not know I appreciated. 10 minutes wouldn't be enough but I'd like to try: Came home from school and there was a terrarium with lizards in it set up in my room. Came home from summer camp and my room was repainted and decorated in a Colonial Soldier theme. Always made the most amazing chicken in wine sauce dinner for my birthdays. Amazing cakes that took the shapes of trains, rockets, pirate ships, cowboys, etc. to go with my themed birthday parties. Fabulous homemade Halloween costumes.

I'd tell them both while I held them tightly.
Can I please do this?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#26]
14er double tap
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't look around in the world, you'll be a pissed off mofo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't wait till your loves ones/family are dead and then just fantasize what you'd like to tell them.

Tell them now, while they are still alive

The dead are past caring, and the New Testament frowns upon attempts to communicate with them, in any case.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I would let give my mom those 10 mins so she could talk to my brother who passed away 11 yrs ago today.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Mom and Dad you were the best and I still love you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd tell my grandpa that the 1903 NIB that he left me shoots great, and that I will cherish it and pass it along to my kids!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Why the fuck did you stack your basement full of random useless shit?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Mom you told me how hard this going to be on me.  12 years later and it still hurts.  I wish you could have met my beautiful loving wife as much as she wanted to meet you.  Tell God and his son hello from me and my wife.

Crying now
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you really watch me jerk off?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#35]
"Get your ass on a fucking plane tonight you idiot, get out of the Dominican Republic and don't wait till the morning to get to a US hospital because the blood clots going to hit your lung when you take a shower in the morning."

Miss ya dad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd ask my grandpa about his experience in WW2.

Never talked about it to his kids or step kids (ie my dad) and was just starting to talk to me about it when he passed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

probably not much

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

probably not much

This. I haven't lost my parents yet, and as far as I'm concerned, my grandparents lived full lives. I miss them a lot, but there isn't anything I never felt I got a chance to say, other than maybe apologize to my grandma for getting into too many hard headed arguments with her.

Did they both die young? I guess technically, yeah. The should have lived longer than they did, but they both did as much as they could have in life, and got to see their son and daughters have families of their own. On top of that, quite frankly, once my grandma went, my grandpa went mentally too. He spent the rest of his life drinking and waiting for his turn so that he could see his wife again. Other than "I miss you", I don't have a lot to say.

Quoted:

I would like to sit with my Grandfather that I never met and ask him about his side of the family.

Oh I didn't think about that one. My dad's father died when he was 12. He doesn't talk about his dad, and I don't bring it up, but based on the research I've done, he seemed like a bad ass. Immigrated from greece, and fought as a medic in the second great war. I looked up his military forms, based on the information I found on his dog tag I found in my dad's drawer, and after hours of searching for them online, and gained a glimpse of his life. Evidently he was a boiler maker. I'd like to ask him if that was true, or that's just what he told the army.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
My grandmother

She died before I married and had kids. I know she would be crazy for them and proud of me.

Pictures lots of pictures.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Try once again to get my grandpa to talk about the Ardennes.

The family knows so little of what happened because he would never talk about it.  What little info we do have is courtesy of my uncle sneaking around the back porch as  a kid while his dad and army buddies were playing cards and talking.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad was my best friend. There's nothing I regret except wanting more time. So I'd just hang with him and talk about random crap like we always did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Talk to my grandfather on my mother's side as I never met him

Ask an ancestor how he feels about the nation today contrast to revolutionary war times where he was a colonel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Mom is doing great, you'd be really proud of her!!  ...and you were right Dad, Annie is the one, we're to be married next year. I really like it when I see you in my dreams, can you make that happen more often?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]
The only man who has died that I want to talk to is the one who lives again Jesus.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I would tell my dad how much I miss our daily phone conversations. He knew more
about firearms than any single person I have ever known.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Pop, I miss you and you were right.

Now fuck you OP for making it dusty.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I would thank my dad for being sort of dick about some money I owed him.  Seriously, my dad was a fantastic dad.  I owed the government some money and he helped me out.  I was paying him back a little slowly at first and he ripped me a new one for it.  I didn't know it at the time and he probably didn't either, but that was the best lesson he ever taught me and I cannot thank him enough.  I would then tell him how much I have missed him since 12-27-2010.  The ten minutes would probably be over by then.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I would tell my son how sorry I am that I wasn't a good dad to him and that I have grieved for him every day for 18 years and 2 months (to the day).

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd say:

"Daddy, I've had some ups and downs since you've been gone, but whenever I needed you, I just listened to my heart and you were always there for me.  By the way, Jack and I are finally together, married.  Brian is remarried to a wonderful woman and he's still watches over me.  Both the guys send their love.

I love you, Daddy"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd ask my father what truly happened the night he died last year.

There are some things unsettled about it in my mind but no way to get to the bottom of it considering the people involved.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top