BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Grant money is grant money, not normal operating budget.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unpossible. Some posters have assured us repeatedly that most police departments don't receive Federal dollar$!

Grant money is grant money, not normal operating budget.  

Waste of time..he KNOWS better  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, but stealing from a thief if you're not getting back your own exact stuff, is still stealing. I figure the .gov owes me at least enough Benjamins to fill my trunk, but I don't think  it would be moral to scoop a trunkfull from an untended 55 gallon barrel out behind the Federal Reserve Branch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.justice.gov/usao-mdtn/pr/former-woodbury-police-chief-pleads-guilty-theft-federal-grant-funds

During the plea hearing, Mooneyham admitted that, from January 2013 through February 2015, while acting in his official capacity as the Woodbury Police Chief, he submitted fraudulent timesheets for more than $28,000 in overtime hours that he had not in fact worked.  The funds used to pay the false overtime hours claimed by Mooneyham were derived from federal grants provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration through the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, specifically for the purpose of enhanced alcohol enforcement efforts.

Incidentally, this guy is a scumbag, BUT:  Fuck the federal government.  I'd rather the money go to a bona-fide leach then a welfare whore.

Yeah, but stealing from a thief if you're not getting back your own exact stuff, is still stealing. I figure the .gov owes me at least enough Benjamins to fill my trunk, but I don't think  it would be moral to scoop a trunkfull from an untended 55 gallon barrel out behind the Federal Reserve Branch.

I don't disagree, but fuck the federal government.  Too bad both thieves don't learn a lesson.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Each federal grant has it's own requirements. We just avoid them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him. He should have some honor.  

Edit: My agency receives NO federal monies because my chief refuses to comply with the federal mandates that come with that money.

Good for him.

I wish more states, police departments, and churches would do likewise.

I am curious what exactly are these federal mandates that he doesn't want to comply with are ?

Each federal grant has it's own requirements. We just avoid them.

Taking grants is like borrowing from the Mafia......there are ALWAYS "Strings" attached, and that includes Equipment as well.....Some of the requirements arent all THAT bad..for example, we had to be the repository for the County's allocation of portable barriers (think plastic Jersey barriers, put in place, then fill with water) in order to get one piece of equipment for the dept.  Wasnt a heavy lift we had the room, so we took it.  Other stuff we opted out of.  Grant money itself, we only took from the state, we avoided federal funds after the Debacle with the Clinton COP funds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most use the funds for vehicle lighting, in-car cameras, radar units.

View Quote

And metric shit-tonnes of OT to stand around shooting the shit with their buddies in between fishing expeditions at DUI checkpoints.  

And those super-effective ads on TV, radio, and billboards.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It just so happens that I represented a municipality, in a state which had strict limits on property tax increases at the time.
As a result, I know exactly how a cash strapped government entity uses Federal grant money to supplement the police budget - and does so without violating any Federal directives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Pretty much proving what I already know... That you have little life experience and no idea how the real world works.

It just so happens that I represented a municipality, in a state which had strict limits on property tax increases at the time.
As a result, I know exactly how a cash strapped government entity uses Federal grant money to supplement the police budget - and does so without violating any Federal directives.

NHTSA grants are for seat belt enforcement (click it or ticket, DUI Patrols, and Speeding enforcement.

They give you blocks of cash for specific periods of time.

You don't know what you are talking about. This isn't the "Federal Money" you think it is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pretty much proving what I already know... That you have little life experience and no idea how the real world works.  

Grand theft and embezzlement.  Fuck him.  Lazy fuck could have easily worked $28k in OT and lived a fat, happy life.

I know two officers that were fired for putting ONE bullshit OT slip for court.  I got along with both, so when one guy Ran into me at the gym and was telling me what a bad wrap he got, I told them to face that I thought it was bullshit and the deserved what they got.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unpossible. Some posters have assured us repeatedly that most police departments don't receive Federal dollar$!

Grand theft and embezzlement.  Fuck him.  Lazy fuck could have easily worked $28k in OT and lived a fat, happy life.

I know two officers that were fired for putting ONE bullshit OT slip for court.  I got along with both, so when one guy Ran into me at the gym and was telling me what a bad wrap he got, I told them to face that I thought it was bullshit and the deserved what they got.

BTDT One of my little Lambs ended up with  2 month suspension for working a Side gig while he was booked off sick...Right now, Jersey City PD has the Feds and County Prosecutor crawling up their asses  for playing games like this with a Federally funded construction project (Pulaski Skyway rebuild)  Some of those guys might be looking at charges for the same shit..  Fuck Em, if you're going to take the money you had better actually BE THERE.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NHTSA grants are for seat belt enforcement (click it or ticket, DUI Patrols, and Speeding enforcement.

You don't know what you are talking about. This isn't the "Federal Money" you think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But...but...butt He's an ATTORNEY!!!! He's all smartified and shit, unlike us lowly street cops.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And metric shit-tonnes of OT to stand around shooting the shit with their buddies in between fishing expeditions at DUI checkpoints.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ads meet the prevention requirements of TN's GHSO grants.  Hard to fault the applicants for that.

The overtime funding isn't as prevalent as equipment acquisition due to the paperwork involved.    

The vast majority use it for equipment.  

Equipment is easier at year's end for audit purposes and the paperwork is easier to file.  Get 3 quotes, select lowest, issue a purchase order, file for reimbursement, get equipment and log serial/model numbers. Done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You don't know what you are talking about.
View Quote

Sure I do.
I had to advise the Mayor and every department head on the legality of every use of Federal funds, police, public works, etc., etc., etc..

I suggest there's more to the picture than meets your eye.
But feel free to believe what you want.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The ads meet the prevention requirements of TN's GHSO grants.  Hard to fault the applicants for that.

View Quote

I haven't faulted the applicants for any of it (well, except for the crooked ones like this moron from Woodbury).  It's the whole program that's a colossal waste of tax money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The government has severely limited any funds for equipment as such as cars etc..

Unless you are a firefighter, then the trough is high and deep.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sure I do.
I had to advise the Mayor and every department head on the legality of every use of Federal funds, police, public works, etc., etc., etc..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure I do.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell is wrong with you, man... do you want kids to burn?  DO YOU WANT FIRE TO WIN??????

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Whoops this must be a different cops stealing money... I thought it was the story out of Texas recently.

Just a couple couple of isolated incidents.
added
A former police chief in South Texas accused of stealing tens of thousands of federal dollars on Monday was found dead in a suspected suicide Tuesday morning, according to media reports.

Police are treating the overnight death of Byron Arthur "Dutch" Piper, former chief of the Rio Grande City Police Department, as an apparent suicide, The McAllen Monitor reported.

Police Chief Noe Castillo told the Monitor that Piper was found with a possibly self-inflicted gunshot wound inside of his vehicle at his home in Rio Grande City.

Officials with the Rio Grande City Police Department did not immediately return a call requesting comment on Tuesday morning.

Piper had been accused by the FBI of stealing more than $44,000 in federal grant money intended to fund overtime for local police officers who also conduct border security operations, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court on Monday obtained by the San Antonio Express-News.

The former police chief told FBI agents in January  that he had been filing false timesheets in order to collect funds from the grant program and that he did not work "[70] percent of the time," according to a written statement.
View Quote

That entire area is INFESTED with corrupt cops and public officials. It's like a new section of Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's federal money just not "federal money".  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

BTDT One of my little Lambs ended up with  2 month suspension for working a Side gig while he was booked off sick...Right now, Jersey City PD has the Feds and County Prosecutor crawling up their asses  for playing games like this with a Federally funded construction project (Pulaski Skyway rebuild)  Some of those guys might be looking at charges for the same shit.. Fuck Em, if you're going to take the money you had better actually BE THERE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT One of my little Lambs ended up with  2 month suspension for working a Side gig while he was booked off sick...Right now, Jersey City PD has the Feds and County Prosecutor crawling up their asses  for playing games like this with a Federally funded construction project (Pulaski Skyway rebuild)  Some of those guys might be looking at charges for the same shit.. Fuck Em, if you're going to take the money you had better actually BE THERE.

I'm one of the biggest overtime whores at my department.  I think I did just under $38k last year in OT, not including movie jobs or special events.  I have no problem with a guy supplementing his salary... as long as you work what you put in for.  It's not really that difficult.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop playing naive... you know as well as the rest of us there's a difference between grants (flash cash) and federally subsidized police positions.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What the hell is wrong with you, man... do you want kids to burn?  DO YOU WANT FIRE TO WIN??????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STOP THE MILITARIZATION OF THE FIRE SERVICE!!!!!!!!  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought Admin was salary only.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voodoo is correct.  Lots of grant funding for fire.

No shortage of muni VFDs that answer 65 calls a year with 2 pumpers, a pumper/tanker, a tanker, and quick attack trucks in the garage.  All new.

I've known 2 in the past 3 years that a) received a $300,000 grant-funded truck and then b) rolled the sumbitch on a backroad while showing off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No shortage of muni VFDs that answer 65 calls a year with 2 pumpers, a pumper/tanker, a tanker, and quick attack trucks in the garage.  All new.

I've known 2 in the past 3 years that a) received a $300,000 grant-funded truck and then b) rolled the sumbitch on a backroad while showing off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right after 9-11 Our FD got ALL new bunker gear, a Washer and commercial drying cabinet for it, a HUGE tanker truck for water and foam and a shitload of other stuff, just about every Paid and Volly FD i know of has one or two Deuces, some outfitted as brush trucks, some left as is.  Good for them, at least they dont have the Feds breathing down their necks as much as we do on the LE side
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on where you are.. My Dept the Chief and DC(s) were Salary, everyone else was Hourly, other agencies i know the Chief is Hourly and can put in Overtime like any patrolman.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Easiest OT EVA !!!
8 hours for 8 tickets and done in under 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1. You don't know what it is like, out there.

2. He only took what was his, anyway.

3.He paid that much in taxes, over the years.

and so on.
View Quote

Fuck the guy.

Oust him and get another one. Fuck everyone that knew about it too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I haven't faulted the applicants for any of it (well, except for the crooked ones like this moron from Woodbury).  It's the whole program that's a colossal waste of tax money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.

I just think that LE gets the short end of the grant stick.  

If it were up to me, the GHSO would be less restrictive on equipment purchases.  Perhaps open the program up to meth interdiction efforts and investigative equipment.

I know of two PDs using 20 year old tazers they can't get parts for.  Another doesn't have the budget to purchase sidearms for officers (they have to buy their own).  

Just to clarify, I'm not saying grant funding should be made available for FA toys and APCs.  I know a few tiny-town PD chiefs who'd buy every M16 and armored car they could get their hands on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Right after 9-11 Our FD got ALL new bunker gear, a Washer and commercial drying cabinet for it, a HUGE tanker truck for water and foam and a shitload of other stuff, just about every Paid and Volly FD i know of has one or two Deuces, some outfitted as brush trucks, some left as is.  Good for them, at least they dont have the Feds breathing down their necks as much as we do on the LE side
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also don't have consent decrees up the ass.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stop playing naive... you know as well as the rest of us there's a difference between grants (flash cash) and federally subsidized police positions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not naive...he doesn't know what hes talking about either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!

Ours are 4 hour blocks.

As soon as you write 10 you can go home.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure I do.

The employees never asked about how the budget was financed. Their concern was getting paid and, for some of them,  new ... equipment.
The administration wouldn't have told them any more than the public  was told (who didn't care either as long as the municipality didn't ask for relief from the tax cap).
It's no surprise to me that you're in the dark.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just think that LE gets the short end of the grant stick.  

If it were up to me, the GHSO would be less restrictive on equipment purchases.  Perhaps open the program up to meth interdiction efforts and investigative equipment.

I know of two PDs using 20 year old tazers they can't get parts for.  Another doesn't have the budget to purchase sidearms for officers (they have to buy their own).  

Just to clarify, I'm not saying grant funding should be made available for FA toys and APCs.  I know a few tiny-town PD chiefs who'd buy every M16 and armored car they could get their hands on.
View Quote

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's a job for federal grants (or federal government at all).  The city/county/whatever that is served by that department needs to unfuck itself.  It's either spending money on dumb shit that government money shouldn't be spent on, or it can't afford as many cops (or whatever service) as it's hired.  Relying on the Feds to backstop piss poor budgeting is bullshit.

States and the feds aren't there to subsidize poorly-run cities.  They shouldn't spend the money, nor should they have the influence that said money brings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are grants with federal money not grants with "federal money".  What's not to understand?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ours are 4 hour blocks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!

Ours are 4 hour blocks.

And here I would have figured that it should be after you do four hours of overtime work and you get four hours of overtime pay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And here I would have figured that it should be after you do four hours of overtime work and you get four hours of overtime pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!

Ours are 4 hour blocks.

Probably in the agreement.

Either X amount of hours or X amount of time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Fuck the guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. You don't know what it is like, out there.

2. He only took what was his, anyway.

3.He paid that much in taxes, over the years.

and so on.

Fuck the guy.

I agree.  Fuck Him!

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!

Ours are 4 hour blocks.

Not that way here.  I've worked transportation grants where we are supposed to ride buses and answer bus related radio call, but I jump hot patrol calls and assist patrol when need.  I'd rather the residents benefit from fed money that bus riders.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easiest OT EVA !!!

That only sounds like a quota, it's really a "goal".

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not that way here.  I've worked transportation grants where we are supposed to ride buses and answer bus related radio call, but I jump hot patrol calls and assist patrol when need.  I'd rather the residents benefit from fed money that bus riders.  

View Quote

I'm glad that us yokels in fly over country get to help pay for you to ride the bus and do regular calls too with your not "federal money".  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm glad that us yokels in fly over country get to help pay for you to ride the bus and do regular calls too with your not "federal money".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is funny about the feds paying cities to provide basic services?  This isn't the sort of thing that a limited federal government should be involved in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What exactly is funny about the feds paying cities to provide basic services?  This isn't the sort of thing that a limited federal government should be involved in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of COPS?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YOU are what's funny.  At this point you are posting just to post.  You sound ridiculous.  Sorry, man, but its true.

It's Transportation Department funds.  I answer radio call because I want to, not because it is demanded or required of me... I suppose you are going to complain about that too!  LOL!!!

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Never heard of COPS?
View Quote

Yup.  Care to explain why a limited federal government is paying those grants for cities to provide basic services?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
YOU are what's funny.  At this point you are posting just to post.  You sound ridiculous.  Sorry, man, but its true.  
View Quote

I'm posting to express my opinion that paying you with federal funds to ride the bus is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yup.  Care to explain why a limited federal government is paying those grants for cities to provide basic services?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of COPS?

I ask the same for all the money they spent hiring FFs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm posting to express my opinion that paying you with federal funds to ride the bus is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the feds offer that grant to the Bus Department who gets to decide when and where they use the money.  The Bus Department approached US and asked if it is something we would like to do.  In the 3 years we've been doing it, almost all crimes involving bus  stations and on the bus have fallen 65%.  The bus driver's are happy, the riders are happy, and the Bus Department is happy... plus, did I mention I made almost $38k in OT last year???

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of COPS?

So do I.  When I answered a recent voter survey I said not to take them.  If we can't afford to pay a guy's salary today what makes the city think they can in two years?

All of these wealth transfers (truthfully debt accumulation) need to stop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Actually, the feds offer that grant to the Bus Department who gets to decide when and where they use the money.  The Bus Department approached US and asked if it is something we would like to do.  In the 3 years we've been doing it, almost all crimes involving bus  stations and on the bus have fallen 65%.  The bus driver's are happy, the riders are happy, and the Bus Department is happy... plus, did I mention I made almost $38k in OT last year???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's such a great use of money then get the local taxpayers to fund it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top