Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 3:02:17 PM EDT
Hi guys, at the indoor matches I compete in I've realized that due to the lighting I have a hard time seeing my hits sometimes on the targets that are 10+ yards away. I think keeping both eyes open would help me see the hits a little more easily, so I was thinking of going both eyes open in tonight's match.

I already shoot my rifles both eyes open, but I've never really thought about doing it with pistols also.

Any of you guys go both eyes open with pistols? If so, any tips?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
USPSA Limited and Production - Yes.

ETA - practice, a lot.  It is faster than closing one eye.  Also, the USPSA official publication is named "The Front Sight" for a reason.  If your focus isn't there, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all your if you are worried/focusing on the target downrange you are doing it wrong.  

To answer the eye question:  yes I keep both eyes open.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First of all your if you are worried/focusing on the target downrange you are doing it wrong.  
View Quote
+1 to all.

ETA:  It was pointed out to me early on that "self-scoring in real time" was a slow, and generally inaccurate approach.  Call the shot from the sight picture, don't check the target in real time.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
yes...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
IPSC shooter here:  Yes

Skeet:  Yes

Rifles:  Yes
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't focus on the target, I hard focus on the front sight. I do need to check my hits though, as GADPA is scored differently and if I don't "eliminate the target" I get a huge penalty.

I will try and keep both eyes open tonight, but still hard focus on the front sight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]

I shoot idpa (when time permits)

I shoot both eyes open out to 10 or so yards past that I slow down and squint down on the sight.

That's idpa though, we have a big down 0 zone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot with both eyes closed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Fast 15 yards and in shots to COM I keep both eyes open.

Taking a headshot at 25 or a silhouette at 50, I close one eye.

I went back and forth with this for years. Tried to keep both eyes open as that is what you are "suppose" to do.

I finally said fuck it and did what works for me and Im shooting better than I ever have
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, both eyes open.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Rifle- Yes
Trap/skeet- Yes

Just now getting into pistol comp. and I don't see why I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
IDPA both eyes.
Bullseye I actually wore a blinder on one eye.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Both eyes open and spinning.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why are you concerned about seeing your "hits"? If you are training, you know POA/POI. You should be focusing on the front sight only, not the target. Both eyes open is faster and has nothing to do with focusing on the target to see where you're rounds are impacting.

As far as having to see where you're hitting, I don't see why having both eyes open is going to make a huge difference at 10 yards unless you have terrible eyesight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys, at the indoor matches I compete in I've realized that due to the lighting I have a hard time seeing my hits sometimes on the targets that are 10+ yards away. I think keeping both eyes open would help me see the hits a little more easily, so I was thinking of going both eyes open in tonight's match.

I already shoot my rifles both eyes open, but I've never really thought about doing it with pistols also.

Any of you guys go both eyes open with pistols? If so, any tips?

Why are you concerned about seeing your "hits"? If you are training, you know POA/POI. You should be focusing on the front sight only, not the target. Both eyes open is faster and has nothing to do with focusing on the target to see where you're rounds are impacting.

As far as having to see where you're hitting, I don't see why having both eyes open is going to make a huge difference at 10 yards unless you have terrible eyesight.

The rules have changed recently, and the target has to be "eliminated."  I need to see the hits to know if I've eliminated the target. Depending on where you hit, this may take 1 or up to 3 shots.

If the target is no eliminated, then a huge penalty is incurred.

I know exactly where my gun hits, but just like all other human beings I sometimes miss.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
+1 to all.  

ETA:  It was pointed out to me early on that "self-scoring in real time" was a slow, and generally inaccurate approach.  Call the shot from the sight picture, don't check the target in real time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to all.  

Agreed completely.  If you're looking for hits you're doing it wrong.  You should be calling your shots based on where your front sight is when the shot breaks.

Both eyes open for everything short of 50 yard head shots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agreed completely.  If you're looking for hits you're doing it wrong.  You should be calling your shots based on where your front sight is when the shot breaks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to all.  

Normally I do. The rules change has me looking at the hits until I adjust. It's not scored like normal. If the target isn't "eliminated" by their rules then you incur a large penalty.

If I'm off and not hitting EXACTLY where I'm aiming (say a center mass 0 shot) I may need 2 more shots to eliminate. If I don't see the shot and I was off, then I may get a big big penalty.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

In some scenarios if you have a solid shooting position and good natural point of aim shooting with both eyes closed is not that hard to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes. Both eyes open and work on not blinking. It takes time and practice to get your body trained to not blink at the sound of a shot, but it will help you shoot faster.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I will try both eyes open tonight and see how I do. Up close (around 5 yards and under) I always keep both open, but beyond that I tend to close my left eye. I'd like to train that out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I will try both eyes open tonight and see how I do. Up close (around 5 yards and under) I always keep both open, but beyond that I tend to close my left eye. I'd like to train that out.
View Quote

I would practice first.  I would not let a competition be the first attempt at both eyes open.  Unless tonight is just practice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. If I need a touch more specific focus I slightly squint the other eye but never close.

You aren't suppose to look for your hits. You track your front sight.

Weekly Shooting Challenge
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would practice first.  I would not let a competition be the first attempt at both eyes open.  Unless tonight is just practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to get a few minutes of trigger time in before the competition to try it out. If I don't feel comfortable I'll hold off and shoot like normal.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#27]
IDPA, and yes I keep both eyes open--but I do turn my head slightly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No reason to try it for the first time at a match.

Grab your pistol, verify it is unloaded, and bring it up for sight pictures for stuff around your house.   Dry firing will make you better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No reason to try it for the first time at a match.

Grab your pistol, verify it is unloaded, and bring it up for sight pictures for stuff around your house.   Dry firing will make you better.

Already working on that.

When I focus on the front sight with both eyes open, obviously the target is doubled. That's going to take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was going to get a few minutes of trigger time in before the competition to try it out. If I don't feel comfortable I'll hold off and shoot like normal.

Thanks guys!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys!

It won't feel comfortable for some time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
yes...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Both eyes open and spinning.

View Quote

That you, Sonny?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#34]
There was a time, years ago, when I competed in IPSC. After a while I was able to shoot with both eyes open, but I was also practicing 2-3 x a week.

For a short time, I used a piece of cellophane tape on my shooting glasses to get the benefit before I could consistently keep both open and acquire the front sight.

m
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You have to learn to ignore one.  After some practice you won't even notice it.
View Quote

I've been trying for years, and still can't do it.  The dominance of my right eye over the left is very weak.  I sometimes even catch myself sighting with my left, if both eyes are open.  

I can get decent times on familiar courses with both eyes open, but I am still a lot faster, and more consistent, if I squint my left.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
YES
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In some scenarios if you have a solid shooting position and good natural point of aim shooting with both eyes closed is not that hard to shoot accurately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was blind the whole time
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've been trying for years, and still can't do it.  The dominance of my right eye over the left is very weak.  I sometimes even catch myself sighting with my left, if both eyes are open.  

I can get decent times on familiar courses with both eyes open, but I am still a lot faster, and more consistent, if I squint my left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in exactly the same boat.  Most of the quick/dirty "eye dominance" tests don't even work for me.  I too have learned to "squint" my left eye instead of closing it altogether.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes- but I stopped competition shooting and focus only on tactical training and fighting with the weapons now but you can accomplish a lot of your training with your weapon unloaded and dry firing. This will help a lot with aiming with both eyes open and at no cost to your wallet !!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#40]
yes.  both eyes open

I had a blinder for my left eye though (when I shot competition), but I don't need it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes- but I stopped competition shooting and focus only on tactical training and fighting with the weapons now  
View Quote

So, just how badly did you get beaten at your first (and last) few matches?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm in exactly the same boat.  Most of the quick/dirty "eye dominance" tests don't even work for me.  I too have learned to "squint" my left eye instead of closing it altogether.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
There was a time, years ago, when I competed in IPSC. After a while I was able to shoot with both eyes open, but I was also practicing 2-3 x a week.

For a short time, I used a piece of cellophane tape on my shooting glasses to get the benefit before I could consistently keep both open and acquire the front sight.

Warp_foo has the correct fix.  

Start with a target paster or small piece of masking tape blocking the non-aiming eye's view of the sights but allowing peripheral vision. Gradually reduce the size of the tape over multiple shooting sessions so that just the central part of the non-aiming eye is blocked.  Test progress with Scotch tape which blurs the non-aiming eye and eventually you'll have trained your brain to ignore the ghost sight image of the non-aiming eye while still using it for binocular distance vision and peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And here I am left eye, right hand and it's a PITA trying to always shoot at the RIGHT target (Not correct, but RIGHT side) as I ALWAYS see two and sometimes the more pronounced is the left side target.....The Only way I shoot both eyes open is by hard focusing the target and soft focusing the front site. It's definitely a pain. Doing Hard-Front-Site focus makes me shoot left of the target sometimes as I aim at the ghost target the left eye sees.... .... So I moved to OPEN so i can look through my Red-Dot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't focus on the target, I hard focus on the front sight. I do need to check my hits though, as GADPA is scored differently and if I don't "eliminate the target" I get a huge penalty.

I will try and keep both eyes open tonight, but still hard focus on the front sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop worrying about your score and focus on proper marksmanship.  

Shoot correctly and your score will be better.  Focus on your score and your shooting will suffer.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#47]
The PROPER way to shoot is with both eyes open, focus on the front sight.

When I was competing as a kid (13 to 17), I shot two eyes open.

After college, I got back into shooting around age 23 and found that I my eyes had changed. If I kept both eyes open, I ended up with double images of the target (and rear sight), and I had no idea which too shoot. Closing an eye solved the double image problem (and cut my group sizes in half). For a while I was closing one eye, lining up the sights/target, then opening both eyes to squeeze the trigger.

As soon as I got into action shooting I just close my left eye at the start of a stage and keep it closed till the end.

In my case:

If I'm using a red dot on my dominant side I'll still shoot both eyes open, but for irons (or shooting lefty with a aimpoint on a rifle) I'll close an eye.

Figure out what works for you and do it. Everyone's eyes are different.

ETA: I'm not exactly sure what I do with shotguns. I got into the habit of closing one eye when drawing a pistol to the point I don't even think about it, and I can't recall what I did the last time I got to shoot trap (other than having a shitload of fun).
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Both eyes open. All day long.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
Both eyes open for me.  Rifle pistol shotgun.

And I did shoot clays competitively
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Control of the trigger is actually the most important.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top