Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2015 4:42:29 PM EDT
Almost 8 week old gsd pup, right now all I have is purina puppy chow which I don't think is the best thing to use. I was looking for some type of large breed puppy food, anything out there as good as Blue for cheaper?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
dr tims kinesis grain free for me but you will get

orijen
merricks
raw food
wilderness

and then someone will chime in with fucking Ol Roy
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a current dog food thread.....

Best Dog Food
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I like "4Health" sold at tractor supply. Been feeding it to my GSDs for years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Need pics to determine course of action.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There are lots of good foods out there nowadays for our dogs.

One of the most important things to look at is the indredients list.

Make sure at least two of the first three ingredients are protein based, and you are good to go.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Blue Buffallo kept my lab healthy and energetic for many years

May she rest in peace
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Feed it what it was designed to eat. Raw meat.
Been feeding our gsd that since she was weened from her mother. ***eta...shes gonna be 6yrs old this christmas***
Shes in great health. Teeth never need to be cleaned. Her poop is solid, white, doesnt stink and doesnt attract flies.
Feeding them processed food is always a gamble
Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Having had GSD's for yrs and trying many different foods, I've had the best results with Earthborn Holisitic Grain Free. We tried several of their grain free formulas, and our guy prefers the Coastal Catch. Very high in protein.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/coastal_catch/
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
gunpowder
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
We started her off with a raw diet, but it seemed like her stomach never did well with it.. we switched her to a grain free kibble and it doing pretty well for her.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of budget per pound are you thinking? I spent hours on the dogfood review sites looking for something I could get locally if needed but also order and went with Wellness Core for my maligator. She is doing great on it and I would guess during the growth years it would be better to spend a little extra to get better food; ymmv, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of budget per pound are you thinking? I spent hours on the dogfood review sites looking for something I could get locally if needed but also order and went with Wellness Core for my maligator. She is doing great on it and I would guess during the growth years it would be better to spend a little extra to get better food; ymmv, etc.
View Quote

looking for something $40 or under a bag Nutro large breed puppy looks good for the price 4 stars on dog food advisor
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard good things about this also but I don't think they make a large breed puppy formulation
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have heard good things about this also but I don't think they make a large breed puppy formulation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore breed specific branding. It's marketing bullshit.

Large breed, small breed, all marketing.

There is no definition of what makes a dog large or small breed when it comes to AAFCO food requirements.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Locallyowned store has Merrick 28lbs sacks of Buffalo and sweet potato dry kibble for 47 bucks. I supplement with merrick wet food in a rotation.

My two dogs seem to love it.

I tried blue with my first dog, but after a few weeks he wouldn't touch it no matter how I served it to him. Not had that problem with merrick.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Grain free, all stages formula, and a probiotic. Keep the table scraps to a minimum.
I was feeding our Chocolate Lab Dog Lovers Gold until the pet store that sold it closed. I cant get anyone else to carry it, so now we're feeding Taste of the Wild. When the salmon are running, I can what I catch and supplement the dog food with canned salmon.
Solid stool, clean white teeth, shiny coat, and no foul dog farts.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The fact is, dogs eat their own vomit and shit happily.  Find something that won' t cause your dog to puke up too often and call it a day.  Gourmet they are not.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]
We used Blue Buff & Science Diet at first, but our GSD was the fussiest rascal on this planet....fed her twice a day, roughly 12hrs apart, a mix of dry (Blue Buff, Sci Diet) and canned. After age 8, she became very fussy & we had to keep a rolling batch of different foods, or she wouldn't eat. I even cooked for her, but if she got the same thing, she wouldn't eat. She had a mild form of colitis, controlled pretty well with Tylan 1/8tsp once (instead of the usual twice) a day, but if she missed meals, she got the shits--multiple runs of the runs--my dag, so I got to clean up....so, a happy dog was important for a happy doggy daddy.

After age 8, the only thing she would consistently eat was some flavor dry with--friggin' Mighty Dog! I cooked her real beef, turkey, chicken & damned if my cooking wasn't so bad she'd turn her nose up! but Mighty Dog came in so many flavors, it would be a week or so before she got the same thing.

Our vet wasn't happy & said Mighty Dog(MD) was the equivalent of McDs or Burger King--he was glad she was getting Blue Buff for dry....but he was concerned re: MD was fatty & poor-quality food.

Bottom line point: GSDs can be fussy, food-wise. We rolled with it! But truth be told, I loved spoiling her! YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
dogfoodadvisor.com
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Grain free. Recently switched mine over to Nulo. No more itching, scratching, etc. Haven't found it in AZ yet, but gives me a good reason to go to San Diego and enjoy the weather there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is no definition of what makes a dog large or small breed when it comes to AAFCO food requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought large breed food had more protein and less calcium to slow growth so hips and joints have a better chance of forming correctly
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Orijen large breed puppy probably.

Anything by orijen is good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Wysong Epigen.

Probably the closest thing you will find to a raw/meat diet.

Just as a warning, it is NOT CHEAP!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#24]
My grandmother used to cook just for her GS.  Big batch, then freeze most.  For a small dog that should be easy.  Cheap too.
I thought it looked nasty but now the experts recipe for dog food is exactly what she was making 40 years ago.  lol

She mixed rice, beans, cornmeal, lard, scraps and lots of other stuff.  Healthy dog.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
My gsd gets blue. If you change food make sure you wean them. Mine gets food allergies so I have to switch flavor every other bag.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Raw fed is best fed.

Research a raw prey model diet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought large breed food had more protein and less calcium to slow growth so hips and joints have a better chance of forming correctly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marketing.

Puppy food by AAFCO definition is formulated for growth and development, gestation and lactation. Doesn't matter if it's large breed, or just puppy.

The dog food world has mastered marketing. There is no such thing as a Senior food either, or a Weight Management food. It's all marketing. There are only 2 profiles that AAFCO recognizes.

All life stage (Puppy) which is formulated for growth, devolopment, gestation, and lactation

and Maintenance (adult), this is what "senior" and "weight management" foods adhere to.

Personally, I would recommend an All life stage food, that offers multiple proteins to rotate between.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Orijen large breed puppy probably.

Anything by orijen is good.
View Quote

He could actally feed Orijen Senior to his puppy.

Check the AAFCO profile on the Orijen food. All of their formulas are All Life Stages foods. They nail it on marketing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Taste of the Wild and Acana have been good to my dog.  She's a murderous pitbull though, she could probably live off babies and grandmas though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]
anybody use Blue Wilderness large breed puppy?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#31]

I recommend Blue Buffalo

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't get so wrapped up in the "large breed" thing, just pick a good food.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

looking for something $40 or under a bag Nutro large breed puppy looks good for the price 4 stars on dog food advisor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costco's 'Natures Domain" is the cheapest with quality in play. Anything above 4-stars is G2G from Dog Food advisor. Best, I've experianced is Orijen but at $3 a pound it's hard to justify; the sister brand Acana is about half that price and almost as good. I feed my dog a mix of Acana/Nature's Domain....
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
IMHO Merrick is the best !!   Ask any Texan...  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#35]
We feed ours both canned and dry.  For dry, our current favorite is Fromm Four Star.  Fromm is one of the very very few family owned premium pet food businesses still out there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for "Taste of the Wild". We've been feeding our GSD this food for three years and she is very healthy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Lamb and rice for my 3yo chocolate lab and 5yo chow mix mut. Tractor Supply seems to have the best deal I've found so far with their Diamond brand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
anybody use Blue Wilderness large breed puppy?
View Quote

I trust Blue Buffalo about as far as I can throw them.

It's a fact they were using by-product meal in their foods, despite their massive ad campaign against such ingredients.

If you are going to wage an ad campaign touting your ingredients, you better fucking know what you're putting in your food.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what our breeder feeds and recommended we feed it to our GSD.  No problems so far.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We feed ours both canned and dry.  For dry, our current favorite is Fromm Four Star.  Fromm is one of the very very few family owned premium pet food businesses still out there.
View Quote

Only dry food I like is Fromm. They also have been making food longer than all of the big name brands, and have never had a recall on their food.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is what our breeder feeds and recommended we feed it to our GSD.  No problems so far.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The breeder I got my GSD from recommended IAMS and Eukanuba, so take any recommendations about nutriition from a breeder with a big scoop of salt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Pics OP! How to you tell us about an 8 week old GSD and you don't post pics
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what i feed my GSD .

Op,  grain free is what you want.  GSDs have notoriously sensitive skin.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pics OP! How to you tell us about an 8 week old GSD and you don't post pics
View Quote

pics as requested

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Taste of the Wild.  They have a puppy formula now, but their all stage wasn't bad for puppies.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I ended up going with Fromm gonna see how she does on it
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Blue Buffallo kept my lab healthy and energetic for many years

May she rest in peace
View Quote

There has been some bad press about Blue Buffalo not having what is says in its food.  I have been using it for the last 7 years,  but I just switched to Wellness Core.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Fromm is an excellent food and is what we have been feeding for years. Please stay away from anything that Diamond manufacturers. The list is long so do some research.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Just use a good quality puppy food.
Science Diet
Purina One
Purina ProPlan

It is unnecessary to feed boutique foods......it only depletes your wallet.

Science Diet is 100% guaranteed. You can feed your dog the whole bag and bring back the empty bag and get your money back if you are not happy with it.

Purina One is commonly recommended by animal nutritionists at veterinary hospitals,  ProPlan is a tad bit higher in quality.

Stay away from low cost brands....you get what you pay for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top