Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Did we miss the merge on 6/30?  Venus has always been to my right with Jupiter to the left. Given we are in the same hemisphere you would see it similar

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I was able to see it, very cool!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Did we miss the merge on 6/30?  Venus has always been to my right with Jupiter to the left. Given we are in the same hemisphere you would see it similar

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes it was cloudy on 6/30. I tried but never saw them. Venus was on left for me.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thunderstorms rolled through on the 30th but things fortunately cleared up by nightfall.  With my 4.5" Celestron I was able to get both to appear in my 9mm eyepiece.  One probably could have used a bit more magnification and still have gotten both in view, but when they are on the edges like that it's not as pleasant a viewing experience.

The previous evening I could only get them both in a 25mm eyepiece.  Interestingly, using the 20mm eyepiece to start, I couldn't quite get both in view.  If I got most of Jupiter in view I could just see the glow emanating from Venus.  By the time the two were about to hit the tree line, I could get parts of both in view with the 20mm eyepiece at the same time.

I do wish I could have taken pictures.  I still need to get a T-mount and a remote trigger for the shutter, as well as a tracking motor for my mount.  I also need to figure out what kind of film would be the best out of what's currently in production.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

While the Venus-Jupiter conjunction is the likely explanation to the SoB, the big deal that peaked the Magi's interest 2000 years ago wasn't just the conjunction, it was how Jupiter behaved, and what houses (constellations) it passed through on the way.

It passed near Regulus (the smaller star you see in the pics to the left of Venus/Jupiter), then went retrograde and passed a second time, then went forward again and passed a third time, all in the constellation of Leo (the Lion). Also, the new moon rose in Virgo (the Virgin), see Rev. 12:1. Then both Jupiter and Venus conjoined to appear as a single bright star.

View Quote
The Venus-Jupiter conjunction that year was next to the sun.  You couldn't see it even if you knew it was there.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While the Venus-Jupiter conjunction is the likely explanation to the SoB, the big deal that peaked the Magi's interest 2000 years ago wasn't just the conjunction, it was how Jupiter behaved, and what houses (constellations) it passed through on the way.

View Quote

Wait, based on what?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice picture.

Now run the Stelarium to 23 September 2017.

Then read Revelation 12:1-2.

Get a good night's sleep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice picture.

View Quote

Hitlery?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hitlery?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice picture.

Hitlery?

Yeah I'd like a synopsis too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice picture.

Hitlery?

For the record, I am NOT a date-setter.

Here y'all go:

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Revelation 12 King James Version (KJV)

12 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
See what happens when you cut and paste?

I know the metaphor regarding Jacob,  but it's still an interesting coincidence.  Although if Israel goes into hiding in two years that's means pre-trib is already out.

ETA: assuming the events on Rev. 12 are in immediate succession and not an overview of the entire trib.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've seen Dr. Larson speak on this several times - really fascinating topic.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top