Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/27/2015 7:09:02 PM EDT
Thinking about a Cockatiel or Love bird ,some advice on picking a pet bird.I never had one before, fo or no fo ?

Major pain in the ass or fun ?

And besides, I need a break from homo's and flag topics, it's making my head hurt.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
gay racist thread
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Loud ,messy ,destructive and obnoxious.Fucking hate birds

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
They are noisy dirty and live way too fucking long.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Loud ,messy and obnoxious.Fucking hate birds
View Quote

Plus, some species can live to be 50.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI a lot of homosexuality in the avian world,as far as birds go.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That too

When I was a kid my mom had an acre of aviaries,had a few hundred kinds of fucking birds from grass parakeets and lories to Hyacinth macaws and black cockatoos....Oh I hated them so

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Snap out of it, OP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Put up a hummingbird feeder and call it good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone gave me two cockatiels once, and I got rid of them within a month. Noisy, and messy. Their dander floats around and gets into everything, including your electronics.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Start with a smaller bird. Do NOT get an African Grey. They never stop yapping.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been feeding one at work for a person on vacation and it's kind of cool.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
We had a blue and gold macaw, many years ago.  The bigger birds require constant care and interaction - kinda like having an 4 year old.  Lots of work, but it can be very rewarding.  Is someone in your house at home all day long?  We ended up giving her (and her 1k cage) back to the lady we bought her from - we just didn't have the time for a large macaw.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a African gray you can have for free.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Right now I have a red factor canary. He's cool and he sings all day long. But he doesn't want to be handled. We had a sun conure a few years back, that bird craved contact and attention.

Before you get a bird, make sure you can give it the attention it needs. Birds are quite intelligent and inquisitive, and very demanding. You have to be sure you can commit to it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Cockatoo.

Quiet and clean..........loving, like a faithful dog as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Golden Comets.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool, a thread filled with ignorance in the first few posts!!  awesome!!!

For what it is worth I have birds and a dog.  The dog makes just as much noise, makes just as much of a mess, is way more destructive and obnoxious and costs way the fuck more to keep than any of my birds... and he is a relatively good dog

Honestly OP... cockatiels aren't bad pets but I would avoid love birds personally.  Stepping up from that, I would look at the parrots of the poicephalus genus such as the Senegal parrot, the Meyer's parrot, or the Red Belly parrot.  These birds are typically sweet, relativley quiet and of the parrots kept as pets seem to have the best manners.  

I would avoid conures, Quakers and African greys as first birds.  If you elect to get a cockatiel, DO NOT BUY FROM PETSMART/PETCO.  Buy from a breeder directly if possible, or a small pet store that can tell you where the birds came from and make sure they are hand fed and socialized.  With all birds, females will typically be better birds overall but will take better to males in the household.  

Othwerise, a few points to remember:

1.  They aren't dogs, don't apply dog logic to birds - it does not work that way
2.  They like to make noise.  They will whistle, scream or talk for no reason.  That doesn't mean it should be excessive (and that can be mitigated) but they won't be silent.  Having a macaw, i occasional get to listen to a stream of "*SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM* CHICKEN!  CHICKEN BIRD!  FUCKER FUCKER FUCKER!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *SCREAM SCREAM* MAX MAAAAAX MAXCHICKEN!!!  CHICKEN BIRD!!! SHIT!!! BAD BIRD!!! *SCREAM* BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDIE!!!! CHICKEN!!!!"  This is totally normal.  
3.  They like and need some people food like fruits, veggies and even a little meat (protien)  yes, they will eat chicken and eggs.  No, it is not cannibalism, parrots and chickens have as much in common as a dog and a cow yet nobody cares if the dog eats beef.  
4. If you want non derp filled advice feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

For what it is worth I have birds and a dog.  The dog makes just as much noise, makes just as much of a mess, is way more destructive and obnoxious and costs way the fuck more to keep than any of my birds... and he is a relatively good dog

Honestly OP... cockatiels aren't bad pets but I would avoid love birds personally.  Stepping up from that, I would look at the parrots of the poicephalus genus such as the Senegal parrot, the Meyer's parrot, or the Red Belly parrot.  These birds are typically sweet, relativley quiet and of the parrots kept as pets seem to have the best manners.  

I would avoid conures, Quakers and African greys as first birds.  If you elect to get a cockatiel, DO NOT BUY FROM PETSMART/PETCO.  Buy from a breeder directly if possible, or a small pet store that can tell you where the birds came from and make sure they are hand fed and socialized.  With all birds, females will typically be better birds overall but will take better to males in the household.  

1.  They aren't dogs, don't apply dog logic to birds - it does not work that way

2.  They like to make noise.  They will whistle, scream or talk for no reason.  That doesn't mean it should be excessive (and that can be mitigated) but they won't be silent.  Having a macaw, i occasional get to listen to a stream of "*SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM* CHICKEN!  CHICKEN BIRD!  FUCKER FUCKER FUCKER!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *SCREAM SCREAM* MAX MAAAAAX MAXCHICKEN!!!  CHICKEN BIRD!!! SHIT!!! BAD BIRD!!! *SCREAM* BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRDIE!!!! CHICKEN!!!!"  This is totally normal.  

3.  They like and need some people food like fruits, veggies and even a little meat (protien)  yes, they will eat chicken and eggs.  No, it is not cannibalism, parrots and chickens have as much in common as a dog and a cow yet nobody cares if the dog eats beef.  

View Quote
The first parrot apologist,

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a cockatiel for a few years. Sweet little bird but extremely messy. Eggs were too small to eat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I heard Churchills blue and gold Macaw was still alive. Fucking Hitler was his favorite saying

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Last I heard Churchills blue and gold Macaw was still alive. Fucking Hitler was his favorite saying  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

some of the bigger parrots can live well past 100

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't we go with your first version before the edit?  Go spread your derp elsewhere.  Show me on the doll where the bad birdie touched you

Homosexualtiy in the avian world?  Get real.  Maybe when you're near a flock of birds, otherwise I've not heard of it in the world of psittacines.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This... we had a cockatiel for about 2 years. It would scream its ass off for hours starting everyday at sunrise. One day, it "escaped" through a door "accidentally" left open. Yup, that was a real shame.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
dupe post
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why don't we go with your first version before the edit?  Go spread your derp elsewhere.  Show me on the doll where the bad birdie touched you

Homosexualtiy in the avian world?  Get real.  Maybe when you're near a flock of birds, otherwise I've not heard of it in the world of psittacines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Birds have a high rate of homosexuality between them.It's a fact jack.And ya,I don't think you know as much as you let on :D

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Start with a smaller bird. Do NOT get an African Grey. They never stop yapping.
View Quote

And they can live up to 90 years old
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#28]
dry rice
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Finches.  Three or four.  We've had them for years but we're about done with birds for a while.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want your house wrecked

My buddy has one. Brutus has eaten thru two walls of Sheetrock then
Got into a locked cabinet and wrecked all the cereal and crackers.
He's fluent in English
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

He's fluent in English
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's fluent in English
pilotman says your ignorant.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Definitely something small. Cockatiel or finch is what I would do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Go for it if your ears can handle it and you can give it enough attention.

Like a 3 year old that can bite the shit out of you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Salt water partridge
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
A guy I used to work with had a cool ass cockatoo.That bird went with him everywhere.when he came to work it was on top of the steering wheel of his truck.
You could almost hold a conversation with the damn thing.The funniest thing we like to do to it was ask it "Polly want a cracker".
That thing would puff up twice it's normal size and say "I ain't no fucking parrot dumbass!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fluent in English

Leaving something with the intelligence of a human 4 year unattended long enough to chew through a wall or get into a locked cabinet?  Yeah I'd say that's pretty goddamned ignorant.  If you did that with a kid you'd go to prison, do it to a bird and the bird is the dumb one.  Got it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Get a chicken ..you get a bird that won't fly...it eats bugs.....it lays eggs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Leaving something with the intelligence of a human 4 year unattended long enough to chew through a wall or get into a locked cabinet?  Yeah I'd say that's pretty goddamned ignorant.  If you did that with a kid you'd go to prison, do it to a bird and the bird is the dumb one.  Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's fluent in English

I would strap 45lb plates to my ball sack and swim up the Amazon river
with Rosie O'Donnell's queef as my air supply to prove my value to you.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#39]
This tread is awesome ! No place for a chicken or I would have a few.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would strap 45lb plates to my ball sack and swim up the Amazon river with Rosie O'Donnell's queef as my air supply to prove my value to you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fluent in English

I would strap 45lb plates to my ball sack and swim up the Amazon river with Rosie O'Donnell's queef as my air supply to prove my value to you.  

That's just fucking wonderful.  I always wanted to be like you - I always said to myself that I wanted to end up like someone on the internet from Arizona with the spelling and grammar skills of a six year old.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That's just fucking wonderful.  I always wanted to be like you - I always said to myself that I wanted to end up like someone on the internet from Arizona with the spelling and grammar skills of a six year old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
dry rice
View Quote

Rope In Your Rice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had a yellow naped Amazon parrot for 25 years; I'd rather have a cat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm at the point where I just tell everyone who asks me this not to get a bird.  It's not that they aren't great pets.  I have one and my girlfriend has 2.  They just aren't meant to be pets.  They aren't domesticated like dogs or cats.  They can be loud, they can do real damage when they bite, and they require the attention you'd provide a human child.  

Before you decide, consider these things:

- What is your plan for the bird when you go on vacation?  We are lucky that we know a bird person we can leave ours with.  Try leaving a bird with someone who doesn't have experience with birds and bad things can happen.  They can't read the birds body language and get bitten.  They let the bird out and someone else that lives there opens a door to the outdoors and away the bird goes.  They feed the bird something that seems OK but is bad for birds and the birds gets sick (or dies).  It is likely that person will never watch your bird again and you'll have to constantly be finding new people to watch it.

- How stable is your life?  I've seen the same story a million times.  People get a bird and then one day something pops up where they can't keep the bird.  They have a baby.  Their mother in law moves in.  They move to a different country.  Someone in the house just can't handle the noise.  Then another bird ends up in a rescue somewhere with all the other unwanted birds.

- You can't just throw the thing in it's cage and ignore it.  They are very intelligent and need to be interacted with.  They need toys to play with (destroy) while you're not around.  They can develop severe mental problems if these needs are not met and will injure or mutilate themselves.

- Some can outlive you.  A macaw can live to be 100 years old.  My conure will probably live 25 years.  He's currently 8.  You have to be ready for the commitment you're signing on for.  Please don't add to the abandoned bird problem.

- Don't get something just because it can talk.  You're doing it wrong if this figures into your decision at all.  Yea, it's cool when they talk, but just because a species is known to talk doesn't mean yours will.  My girlfriends African Grey says some things, but he's got a little short bus in him or something, because he's not at the level I've seen other Greys achieve.

If you're still interested, and there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise, the best advice I can give is to start with a parakeet.  They live like 5 years or so and require the least amount of your time.  If that goes well and you want to graduate to a bigger bird, then go for it.  If that time comes, please consider adopting a bird from a rescue.  There are lots of great birds out there that need homes.  You can interact with them to see if they're right for you.  Usually you don't pick out a bird, the bird picks you.  You'll see.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#45]
If you get a pet bird you will probably die a horrible hypoxic death due to chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis. See ya in the office.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread is a disaster. IBTL.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's fluent in English
He's not ignorant, but his friend is.  If he gave the bird enough other things to destroy, it wouldn't be demoing his house.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They are noisy dirty and live way too fucking long.
View Quote

All of the above.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Birds are social creatures.

Get at least two.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top