This. I find the RMR slower than irons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try before you buy

This. I find the RMR slower than irons.

Untill you get used to it. then its way faster, for me....
took several outings to get used to it. now i line up much quicker.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If your the guy that fires 50 rounds every couple of months and not willing to put in the practice needed to master the system...I'd say pass...

If your the guy that seeks excellence...do it...

An RMR on a G19 completely changes the fighting shooting paradigm...

Up close your probably a point shooter anyway...do you use your sights when "fighting" if you do your slow...if you don't then you know what I am talking about...

I am a point shooter...inside 10 yards I never even think about the sights and your dead fast...I have trained myself, sought training and practiced hard to be a gunfighter...out to 15 yards or so I will transition to what I refer to as the TV SCREEN OF DEATH point shooting progression....here is what I mean...there is no parallax with an RDS/RMR so if the dot is on the target squeeze the trigger and you score hits...simply put meat in the screen and hit...repeatedly...

At 25 yards and beyond I am using the dot...the RMR with a 3,25MOA dot will change your shooting IF you put in the time...and effort...and dry practice acquiring the sights/dot...

No more COM shots at 25...its first round head shots...with a little more time its which eye do I want to hit him in...practiced head shots to 50 are easy button easy...torsos to 100-150 yards are just around the corner with practice...FROM A G19...

IM me if you have more questions...

My EDC G19

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o496/CAPTBEACH/G19%20V3_zpsp3xboqxa.jpg
View Quote

This sums it up perfectly

Here is my edc

I'll be rmr my 19 the second funds allow
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Here is my edc

http://i.imgur.com/IZ3Wccw.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your the guy that fires 50 rounds every couple of months and not willing to put in the practice needed to master the system...I'd say pass...

If your the guy that seeks excellence...do it...

An RMR on a G19 completely changes the fighting shooting paradigm...

Up close your probably a point shooter anyway...do you use your sights when "fighting" if you do your slow...if you don't then you know what I am talking about...

I am a point shooter...inside 10 yards I never even think about the sights and your dead fast...I have trained myself, sought training and practiced hard to be a gunfighter...out to 15 yards or so I will transition to what I refer to as the TV SCREEN OF DEATH point shooting progression....here is what I mean...there is no parallax with an RDS/RMR so if the dot is on the target squeeze the trigger and you score hits...simply put meat in the screen and hit...repeatedly...

At 25 yards and beyond I am using the dot...the RMR with a 3,25MOA dot will change your shooting IF you put in the time...and effort...and dry practice acquiring the sights/dot...

No more COM shots at 25...its first round head shots...with a little more time its which eye do I want to hit him in...practiced head shots to 50 are easy button easy...torsos to 100-150 yards are just around the corner with practice...FROM A G19...

IM me if you have more questions...

My EDC G19

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o496/CAPTBEACH/G19%20V3_zpsp3xboqxa.jpg

Here is my edc

http://i.imgur.com/IZ3Wccw.jpg

THAT IS A NOICE stipple job on that Glock bro...you do it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why carry a compact handgun then add a lot of shit to it so that its not that damn compact anymore?
View Quote

I cannot discern...as in my belly muscles, my waist cannot tell the difference between an RMR'd G19 and one without...the advantage of having an RMR'd gun will fall upon deft ears...if you truly seek excellence in this martial art of gunfighting you will see the light...if your going to fire 50 rounds every couple of months and be satisfied with your EDC then pass on it...

In 5 years there will not me a major handgun manufacturer that will not offer an RMR'd gun...BTW...heard from a reliable source GLOCK bought DOCTER sights a lil while back...seems like they couldn't afford Trijicon...I think they have seen the light too...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waiting on a g19 mos to put an rmr on. Not to carry, but as a range toy. I wouldn't carry with an optic, more to go wrong in an already hectic situation like others have said.
View Quote

Personally I would pass on the MOS...its GEN I MOS...they didn't get it right...irons don't co-witness (extremely important), flimsy mounting system, trying to appeal to too many optics in one package...other options are out there...really good ones...like having your slide milled...and hardness isnt an issue as pointed out above...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
This is my CORE with the RMR.  I chose the non-battery.  The dot is orange and is very visable.  One of my instructors took Suarez's class on reflex sights and the drills are outstanding.  I normally fire a 293/300 against Ayoob anyway but this sight gave me a 300/300 the first time I used it in the qualification.  It took me 2 days and 400 rounds to make it second nature.  Co-witness is important in these drills because you use the same muscular movement as normal, but suddenly and I mean suddenly the dot shows up.  However several friends use the MRDS and don't bother with a front sight.  These folks are used to a red dot only with their carbine and just use the same technique for the handgun.
The next thing that both techniques teach is long distance shots.  Your ability to make the 50-60 meter shot will improve Immediately!!!!!  Both in hits and speed.  Two years from now these sights will be standard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried the RMR set up on one of my G19s, tried really hard to like it but overall ended up getting rid of it. Just ended up being more trouble as it was a slide mounted set up. Some love it, some dont, as stated try before you buy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try before you buy
View Quote

I tried one on my competition gun and discovered three things:

1) It didn't speed things up at all at typical "gunfight distances" (inside of 10 yards).  In fact, it slowed things down for me.

2) I never even really look at the sights within 10 yards, and I ended up looking for the dot.

3) It helped a lot beyond that, and I now have one on each of my bullseye guns.

Then again, I only really ran like 400 rounds with it on, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.  It's still probably not for everyone.  Based on my limited experience, I think it probably takes a little more training for that for it to click with your brain and it starts working.  I wouldn't just put it on, run two boxes through your gun and think you're all set.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it a competition gun or a defense gun??

The two are not as similar as the gamers would have you believe.

On a defensive gun I would go with plain sights.
View Quote

EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
EXACTLY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY.

RMR type sights are the future for Handguns, just like they were for rifles 10 years ago.

I don't see the big deal as long as you have iron sights as a back up (which you should anyways for help tracking the dot) then what the issue if the dot washes out or batteries go dead.

The only down side to these optics are when it is raining the lens will be hard to see through, or if the glass was to spider web some how where you could not see through it.

Want to become a better shooter with iron sights? Shoot a pistol with a RDS for a few months, and then go back to irons, you will be better at tracking your iron sights.

Gamers push the limits of firearms technology and shooting styles, to ignore this is ignorance. Take a look at the top firearms instructors in the country, they advocate the advantages of the shooting sports for improving shooters skills, and while some of the equipment is just for "fun", to write it all off is a mistake. In the end of the day if it makes me a better / faster shooter, then I am all for it.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

RMR type sights are the future for Handguns, just like they were for rifles 10 years ago.

I don't see the big deal as long as you have iron sights as a back up (which you should anyways for help tracking the dot) then what the issue if the dot washes out or batteries go dead.

The only down side to these optics are when it is raining the lens will be hard to see through, or if the glass was to spider web some how where you could not see through it.

Want to become a better shooter with iron sights? Shoot a pistol with a RDS for a few months, and then go back to irons, you will be better at tracking your iron sights.

Gamers push the limits of firearms technology and shooting styles, to ignore this is ignorance. Take a look at the top firearms instructors in the country, they advocate the advantages of the shooting sports for improving shooters skills, and while some of the equipment is just for "fun", to write it all off is a mistake. In the end of the day if it makes me a better / faster shooter, then I am all for it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY.

You nailed...

People have a tendency to shit on the "gamers" but its in this realm that things like gear and concepts get stretched, refined, proven, discarded, revamped, rediscovered, invented, re-invented, defined, redefined, forged, unpacked, practiced, cast aside, picked up again and in the end we get better for it...

As far as rain goes...RAIN-X...I've spoken to Trijicon Factory Reps and they say its no issue using it on the lenses, does not harm the coatings...I use it on all...ALL optics, scopes RDS, RMR's. The Rain-X makes it nearly impossible for the droplets to adhere and if they do after the first round goes downrange its not an issue.

One trend I have noticed with shooters who fail at RMRs or give up is a large percentage of them either have been previously diagnosed with astigmatism or have it and find out later that they do...Cataracts also hinder and can even make it impossible to use an RDS...instaed of one crisp dot you will have a dozen in a halo'd affect...

Proper co-witnessing irons, black or tritium are essential for making the RMR'd gun and shooter meld themselves together...THAT is why I think Glock completely f'd up with the MOS system, that and the fact that the mounting system is very flimsy when compared to a properly set up milling job for an RMR...I personally know of two complete MOS mount failures on brand new guns withing 500 rounds...they simply should have gone with one system RMR, DP or Docter. I have been told by a confident source that GLOCK bought DOCTER so you may in fact see GEN II MOS guns milled for the DOCTER III sight soon...it should be a huge improvement over the MOS system and its short comings...

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I've carried a 19 with an RMR for a few years and cut them into guns at my shop.  I love mine and I'm building a 17 now to move the RMR over to.  With backup sights and practice, the dot is easy to pick up.  

Try before you buy but understand it takes time to get it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

a trijicon RMR for $50? was it stolen or were you almost a sweepstakes winner or some shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost got an RMR for $50 about a month and a day ago ...

a trijicon RMR for $50? was it stolen or were you almost a sweepstakes winner or some shit?

April fools thread.  I almost got one too...

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost got an RMR for $50 about a month and a day ago ...

I did score one, a BNIB with papers RMR01 3.25 MOA dot in the EE for $325...I listed a thread in the WANTED section, he answered...deal of the century...I felt like kissing him...I told him to tell me what he wanted for it and I'd pay it...he said $325 shipped, he bought three a few years back and didnt need this one...threw in a couple of new batteries too...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is my CORE with the RMR.  I chose the non-battery.  The dot is orange and is very visable.  One of my instructors took Suarez's class on reflex sights and the drills are outstanding.  I normally fire a 293/300 against Ayoob anyway but this sight gave me a 300/300 the first time I used it in the qualification.  It took me 2 days and 400 rounds to make it second nature.  Co-witness is important in these drills because you use the same muscular movement as normal, but suddenly and I mean suddenly the dot shows up.  However several friends use the MRDS and don't bother with a front sight.  These folks are used to a red dot only with their carbine and just use the same technique for the handgun.
The next thing that both techniques teach is long distance shots.  Your ability to make the 50-60 meter shot will improve Immediately!!!!!  Both in hits and speed.  Two years from now these sights will be standard.
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/threefeathers/media/Dans%20Firearms/RMR_zps1fe7df78.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/threefeathers/Dans%20Firearms/RMR_zps1fe7df78.jpg</a>
View Quote

No they won't.

I say that not because they aren't worthwhile, but because they're fucking expensive. Consider that night sites are still not standard, and a set of Trijicons can be had for ~$80 and install the same way sights have been installed for generations - now consider that an RMR is ~$500 and require fairly extensive milling of the slide to install.

They'll be very popular, particular in competition. People who are serious about self-defense and train will carry them daily - but they will not be standard by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Still experimenting, but the cowitnessed suppressor sights are a huge improvement over RDS only IMO

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I'll add that if it's for a game gun, get a longer slide like a 17 or 34 to put it on.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top