Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 4/30/2015 2:27:55 PM EDT
Another Big Fat Friggin We Told You SO From All Of Us Who Have Predicted That Churches Would Be The Ultimate Target Of This Crap.

edit

People right here on this board have been denying that for years and it the last few months whenever this was discussed people were still saying that the Fed trying to force their way into churches was just slippery slope nonsense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Circle Closes And Prediction Made True

by JOEL GEHRKEApril 28, 2015 2:07 PM Religious institutions could be at risk of losing their tax-exempt status due to their beliefs about marriage if the Supreme Court holds that gay couples have a constitutional right to wed, President Obama’s attorney acknowledged to the Supreme Court today. “It’s certainly going to be an issue,”

Solicitor General Donald Verrilli replied when Justice Samuel Alito asked if schools that support the traditional definition of marriage would have to be treated like schools that once opposed interracial marriage. “I don’t deny that.” Alito was continuing a line of questioning started by Chief Justice John Roberts.

“Would a religious school that has married housing be required to afford such housing to same­-sex couples?” Roberts had asked. Verrilli tried to defer to the states on that point, but Roberts pressed him about the significance of the court’s ruling as it might pertain to federal law. “There is no federal law now generally banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, and that’s where those issues are going to have to be worked out,” he said. – Joel Gehrke is a political reporter for National Review.

Another Story

Not News: Obama Admin Admits Tax-Exempt Status of Churches at Stake in Supremes' Gay 'Marriage Case - See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/04/30/not-news-obama-admin-admits-tax-exempt-status-non-complying-churches#sthash.cr8ceVSw.dpuf

By Tom Blumer | April 30, 2015 | 12:04 AM EDT
Add the following to the "you will be made to care" stories Erick Erickson at RedState began to recognize several years ago.

Those who think that legalizing same-sex "marriage" won't affect them should have received a wake-up call on Tuesday during arguments at the Supreme Court over inventing a constitutional right for two people of the same sex to have such an arrangement. Most of them didn't get it, because, with only one exception I could find, the establishment press covering the proceedings perfectly understood the gravity of the discussion and its implications — and refused to report it, because doing so would give away the Obama administration's, and the left's, ultimate game plan.

The exception was at the Washington Post, via Sarah Pulliam Bailey at the paper's Acts of Faith blog. Even then, Get Religion's Terry Mattingly reports that Bailey's work didn't make the "ink on paper" edition.

- See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/04/30/not-news-obama-admin-admits-tax-exempt-status-non-complying-churches#sthash.cr8ceVSw.dpuf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Another Big Fat Friggin We Told You SO From All Of Us Who Have Predicted That Churches Would Be The Ultimate Target Of This Crap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Circle Closes And Prediction Made True

by JOEL GEHRKEApril 28, 2015 2:07 PM Religious institutions could be at risk of losing their tax-exempt status due to their beliefs about marriage if the Supreme Court holds that gay couples have a constitutional right to wed, President Obama’s attorney acknowledged to the Supreme Court today. “It’s certainly going to be an issue,”

Solicitor General Donald Verrilli replied when Justice Samuel Alito asked if schools that support the traditional definition of marriage would have to be treated like schools that once opposed interracial marriage. “I don’t deny that.” Alito was continuing a line of questioning started by Chief Justice John Roberts.

“Would a religious school that has married housing be required to afford such housing to same­-sex couples?” Roberts had asked. Verrilli tried to defer to the states on that point, but Roberts pressed him about the significance of the court’s ruling as it might pertain to federal law. “There is no federal law now generally banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, and that’s where those issues are going to have to be worked out,” he said. – Joel Gehrke is a political reporter for National Review.

Another Story

Not News: Obama Admin Admits Tax-Exempt Status of Churches at Stake in Supremes' Gay 'Marriage Case - See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/04/30/not-news-obama-admin-admits-tax-exempt-status-non-complying-churches#sthash.cr8ceVSw.dpuf

By Tom Blumer | April 30, 2015 | 12:04 AM EDT
Add the following to the "you will be made to care" stories Erick Erickson at RedState began to recognize several years ago.

Those who think that legalizing same-sex "marriage" won't affect them should have received a wake-up call on Tuesday during arguments at the Supreme Court over inventing a constitutional right for two people of the same sex to have such an arrangement. Most of them didn't get it, because, with only one exception I could find, the establishment press covering the proceedings perfectly understood the gravity of the discussion and its implications — and refused to report it, because doing so would give away the Obama administration's, and the left's, ultimate game plan.

The exception was at the Washington Post, via Sarah Pulliam Bailey at the paper's Acts of Faith blog. Even then, Get Religion's Terry Mattingly reports that Bailey's work didn't make the "ink on paper" edition.

- See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/04/30/not-news-obama-admin-admits-tax-exempt-status-non-complying-churches#sthash.cr8ceVSw.dpuf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote

A comment on your quote in red:  They already knew this would happen.  One of the biggest benefits to supporting this, for many of them, was to attack the church.  You could tell by the comments.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A comment on your remark in red:  They already knew this would happen.  One of the biggest benefits to supporting this, for many of them, was to attack the church.  You could tell by the comments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A comment on your remark in red:  They already knew this would happen.  One of the biggest benefits to supporting this, for many of them, was to attack the church.  You could tell by the comments.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
FBHO
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People right here on this board have been denying that for years and it the last few months whenever this was discussed people were still saying that the Fed trying to force their way into churches was just slippery slope nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe one of our resident gay members said such a thing as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I've been in many of the threads.

Just remember, people don't always tell you what they know, especially when it doesn't fit their narrative.  

It was said many times, especially if churches failed to go along with the government mandate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
in for the meltdown

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no gay agenda, progressives love the church, youre a bigot.....

That should cover the responses

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
We have official confirmation of everything many of us have warned about for years. It is now in the official transcripts of the Supreme Court oral arguments and it can not be denied ever again. The fact that this was required to clue people in is a joke.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
If they really wanted relationship freedom for all they would be taking the government out of marriage.

This is just another instance of weaponized minority directed at enemy of the state.

The proper course of action for return fire would be to begin suing every grant receiving non profit who only support non whites.

Non profits shouldn't exist anyways.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
As a guy who hasn't attended church regularly in years...

Screw these godless, militant, commie, sonsofbitches and the unicorns they rode in on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I know this is going to meet with alot of teeth gnashing and head banging...

but it sounds to me like the first step on your "slippery slope" to government forcing churches to recognize same-sex marriage, was government-recognized interracial marriage.

Justice Alito: Well, in the Bob Jones case, the Court held that a college was not entitled to tax­exempt status if it opposed interracial marriage or interracial dating. So would the same apply to a 10 university or a college if it opposed same­-sex marriage?
View Quote

Personally, I don't think any institution or individual should be taxed so heavily that losing a tax exemption status should be a particular hardship.

I also have no emotional skin in the game either way, other than I hate the Federal fucking government with the heat of 1,000 suns.

Want to solve the problem?   Get government out of marriage altogether.   Yeah, I know.   That's not going to happen.

*yawn*

The government big enough and intrusive enough to hand out marriage licenses is big enough and intrusive enough to do all kinds of stuff you might not agree with regarding marriage.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Screw these godless, militant, commie, sonsofbitches and the unicorns they rode in on.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
In on 1.

I see no reason churches should be tax exempt.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In on 1.

View Quote

Yeah why is this even a problem?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

but it sounds to me like the first step on your "slippery slope" to government forcing churches to recognize same-sex marriage, was government-recognized interracial marriage.

Personally, I don't think any institution or individual should be taxed so heavily that losing a tax exemption status should be a particular hardship.

I also have no emotional skin in the game either way, other than I hate the Federal fucking government with the heat of 1,000 suns.

Want to solve the problem?   Get government out of marriage altogether.   Yeah, I know.   That's not going to happen.

*yawn*

The government big enough and intrusive enough to hand out marriage licenses is big enough and intrusive enough to do all kinds of stuff you might not agree with regarding marriage.

Oh well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Justice Alito: Well, in the Bob Jones case, the Court held that a college was not entitled to tax­exempt status if it opposed interracial marriage or interracial dating. So would the same apply to a 10 university or a college if it opposed same­-sex marriage?

*yawn*

Oh well.

Oh well, all the local private religious school are closing because of federal taxation and we need new Bond Issues to cover the influx of students since our schools are already over crowded. Oh well, the local religious colleges are no longer accepting married students. The local religious colleges are no longer supplying student housing, oh well the cost of college is going to go up. Oh well the local churches are closing down food banks and it is putting even more strain on the SNAP program...we are need to raise taxes. Oh well, the local religiously affiliated hospitals are closing.....and on and on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Government should not be in the marriage business.
View Quote

agreed

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have a problem with churches losing tax-exempt status.

Why should they have it in the first fucking place?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

See my post about church funded and run schools, hospitals, food banks, homeless/battered women's shelters, and so on. Religious charities relieve the government of a significant burden when in a number of areas...if the churches stop doing that stuff the people will be looking for the Feds and the state to step in and do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing to do with equal rights for Gays - everything to do with Government suppression of religion - Marx and Mao should be smiling right now.

Never forget - Government does not like competition, even when it comes to public service and charities, and certainly not when it comes to philosophies and theft.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In on 1.

View Quote

Some activities of churches are just as legitimate charities as anything the Salvation Army does.

The preacher's salary?   The money spent on the building or the sunday socials?   Or the air conditioning?

Not so much.   Or else, if they are, then so should be any social club who wants to claim it.

The real solution is to scrap personal income tax.  This system of "Itemize every little piece of income and every expense" is ridiculous.  It's totalitarian bullshit at it's finest.  I really don't understand how the American people have just come to live with it as some kind of unavoidable law of nature.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I, wholeheartedly agree, but I think it's safe to say that we're way past this part of the debate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

You guys ever hear of the concept of charity?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh well, all the local private religious school are closing because of federal taxation and we need new Bond Issues to cover the influx of students since our schools are already over crowded. Oh well, the local religious colleges are no longer accepting married students. The local religious colleges are no longer supplying student housing, oh well the cost of college is going to go up. Oh well the local churches are closing down food banks and it is putting even more strain on the SNAP program...we are need to raise taxes. Oh well, the local religiously affiliated hospitals are closing.....and on and on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*yawn*

Oh well.

So which do you care more about?

Government issued marriage licenses or all those other things?

Pick.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Explain what you think 'tax exempt' entails?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

Charity like handing out bibles to earthquake victims instead of food/medicine/other usable aid?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Government powerful enough to define marriage is also powerful enough to redefine it.

Oops.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not big on churches having tax exempt status because I think it's grossly abused by many churches both large and small.  

By the same token I'd hate to see them loose it just because of the gays.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In on 1.

View Quote

At the church I attend tithes go towards utilities and keeping the church open and maintained. It is like a big house and the church members pay the bills.

It doesn't make any sense to tax the money that would be used to pay your mortgage or utilities or maintenance cost.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Charity like handing out bibles to earthquake victims instead of food/medicine/other usable aid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

That's the beautiful thing about charity. I decide what to give away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree. Though all churches should lose tax exempt status not just ones who disagree with the government.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*yawn*

Oh well.

the gov does not like the church... because it competes against the gov... supplying food, education, beliefs that go against the PC machine....all that clinging to religion and guns that obama hates so much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
This has always been the plan
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

At the church I attend tithes go towards utilities and keeping the church open and maintained. It is like a big house and the church members pay the bills.

It doesn't make any sense to tax the money that would be used to pay your mortgage or utilities or maintenance cost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

And yet my money is taxed before I have to pay any of those things.  Why is it OK for them?  Seriously curious.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree. Though all churches should lose tax exempt status not just ones who disagree with the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So gifts and charities should be taxed?

Has arfcom gone full retard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

agreed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed

the gov..... is in EVERY fucking business..and you wont get it out of anything, short of a revolution..... if it exhists.... there is a agency for it, usually with a fee / tax, and a list of regs and requirements to go along with it..
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Here they are, OP.

See, they have no problem with this.  

It's all part of the plan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Leftists I know have already happily said that the government should have the right to regulate what churches do and preach.

ETA: Columbia (the country) wants to force Catholic hospitals to perform euthenasias. The Bishop's council there said, "Do it and we'll just shut down all our hospitals".

We don't have to meet in churches after all. We like nice buildings, with prayerful spaces. We've prayed in basements, ditches, and worse before.

See my sig.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

Ok. There are ways for legitimate charitable organizations to maintain tax exempt status. The Church of Scientology and churches ran by people like Creflo Dollar need to be paying taxes though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Pretty incredible that a nation that has stood for well over two hundred years can have so much BS pushed upon it by one man and his ilk.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"but but muh feels!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People here also denied that the gay community would sue Christian owned businesses for refusing to participate in their wedding.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
You're always on a slipperly slope with religion because there is no set definition of what is a religious issue.  People form the church of white men smoking peyote, or satanism, or other such nonsense and it tends not to get recognized, whereas legitimate churches get recognized like Catholics and Lutherans.  And its always a judgment call.  Misogyny laws basically get treated like an illegitimate religion because there isn't really any sane or rational basis for them.  They were not a historical part of Christianity.  The ban on homosexuality, however, is clearly part of several major world religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, among others).  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In on 1.

View Quote

Would you rather that money go to the .gov or to the charitable causes that churches typically support?

I'd bet your rebuttal will be some crap about mega churches and joel olsteen mansions, completely dismissing how the billions that are about to be stolen from christian charitable causes and pissed away into .gov coffers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a polytheistic pagan animist (non-practicing and mostly agnostic atheist) who goes to church once in a while because his kid sings in their really very good classical choir.....

Screw those god bothering, tax exempt sonsofbitches and the Creflo Dollar brand 65 million dollar private jet they flew in on.  If god earns a buck he should pay taxes on it like I do.

Take the king's shilling. Do the king's bidding.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

People here also denied that the gay community would sue Christian owned businesses for refusing to participate in their wedding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Straight people don't need to worry about gay marriage because it's not of their business and won't effect them in any way."

That was the call. I used to make that argument myself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The better solution is that everybody has tax exempt status.

What's funny is all the ARFCOMmers who believe that churches should preach politics from the pulpit because of a law LBJ passed to make sure he got reelected. AR15.com apparently loves them some LBJ when it comes to that one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, if the donation is to the church, then hell yeah.

OTOH if the donation is to the Heller Foundation to suppot Nolo's case against the government cuz we want cheap machine gunz, then it's gimme my deduction dammit!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top