BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See my post about church funded and run schools, hospitals, food banks, homeless/battered women's shelters, and so on. Religious charities relieve the government of a significant burden when in a number of areas...if the churches stop doing that stuff the people will be looking for the Feds and the state to step in and do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

I see no reason churches should be tax exempt.

Yeah why is this even a problem?

See my post about church funded and run schools, hospitals, food banks, homeless/battered women's shelters, and so on. Religious charities relieve the government of a significant burden when in a number of areas...if the churches stop doing that stuff the people will be looking for the Feds and the state to step in and do it.

So the logic goes: We don't tax you so you can do stuff we end up doing it you don't do it?

So how about we only tax the 1% of super preachers and leave the ordinary middle class and poor preachers alone.  Will that satisfy?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You guys ever hear of the concept of charity?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

Didn't JC talk about rendering unto Caesar?  Looks like Caesar wants his cut.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So which do you care more about?

Government issued marriage licenses or all those other things?

Pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know this is going to meet with alot of teeth gnashing and head banging...

but it sounds to me like the first step on your "slippery slope" to government forcing churches to recognize same-sex marriage, was government-recognized interracial marriage.

Justice Alito: Well, in the Bob Jones case, the Court held that a college was not entitled to tax­exempt status if it opposed interracial marriage or interracial dating. So would the same apply to a 10 university or a college if it opposed same­-sex marriage?

Personally, I don't think any institution or individual should be taxed so heavily that losing a tax exemption status should be a particular hardship.

I also have no emotional skin in the game either way, other than I hate the Federal fucking government with the heat of 1,000 suns.

Want to solve the problem?   Get government out of marriage altogether.   Yeah, I know.   That's not going to happen.

*yawn*

The government big enough and intrusive enough to hand out marriage licenses is big enough and intrusive enough to do all kinds of stuff you might not agree with regarding marriage.

Oh well.

Oh well, all the local private religious school are closing because of federal taxation and we need new Bond Issues to cover the influx of students since our schools are already over crowded. Oh well, the local religious colleges are no longer accepting married students. The local religious colleges are no longer supplying student housing, oh well the cost of college is going to go up. Oh well the local churches are closing down food banks and it is putting even more strain on the SNAP program...we are need to raise taxes. Oh well, the local religiously affiliated hospitals are closing.....and on and on.

Pick.

Evertime gov't gets involved (ie. subsidizes), costs go up.  Hide/defer/reappropriate all you want, but they will still go up.

Too many "conservatives" want big .gov involved in marriage, except they don't understand that .gov doesn't like to ride shotgun.  Thus, it decided to define the subject as it deems.

Deal with the devil...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know this is going to meet with alot of teeth gnashing and head banging...

but it sounds to me like the first step on your "slippery slope" to government forcing churches to recognize same-sex marriage, was government-recognized interracial marriage.

Justice Alito: Well, in the Bob Jones case, the Court held that a college was not entitled to tax­exempt status if it opposed interracial marriage or interracial dating. So would the same apply to a 10 university or a college if it opposed same­-sex marriage?

Personally, I don't think any institution or individual should be taxed so heavily that losing a tax exemption status should be a particular hardship.

I also have no emotional skin in the game either way, other than I hate the Federal fucking government with the heat of 1,000 suns.

Want to solve the problem?   Get government out of marriage altogether.   Yeah, I know.   That's not going to happen.

*yawn*

The government big enough and intrusive enough to hand out marriage licenses is big enough and intrusive enough to do all kinds of stuff you might not agree with regarding marriage.

Oh well.

Oh well, all the local private religious school are closing because of federal taxation and we need new Bond Issues to cover the influx of students since our schools are already over crowded. Oh well, the local religious colleges are no longer accepting married students. The local religious colleges are no longer supplying student housing, oh well the cost of college is going to go up. Oh well the local churches are closing down food banks and it is putting even more strain on the SNAP program...we are need to raise taxes. Oh well, the local religiously affiliated hospitals are closing.....and on and on.

Pick.

How about their obedience and faith to their religion, their teachings, and their God, without which none of which they accomplished would exist.

The Pallottine Missionary Sisters who founded a number of schools and hospitals  (my favorite being St. Mary's of Hunting WV, since the doctors and nurses saved my life last year) here in WV. The Sisters, who believed their lives were twice spared by God in their travel from German to the US, once when the travel documents of one of the sisters got them bumped from the Titanic, and the next time when they delay their scheduled trip aboard the ill fated Stella Niagara (crashed on the way to NY and many passengers were killed)  while waiting for Mother Superior of the Franciscans (whom they had been staying with and whom were teaching them English).

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait 'til the mosques realize it applies to them as well that should be entertaining.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they really wanted relationship freedom for all they would be taking the government out of marriage.

This is just another instance of weaponized minority directed at enemy of the state.

The proper course of action for return fire would be to begin suing every grant receiving non profit who only support non whites.

Non profits shouldn't exist anyways.
View Quote

Sure they should. They just shouldn't make any profits after paying their taxes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And yet my money is taxed before I have to pay any of those things.  Why is it OK for them?  Seriously curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

At the church I attend tithes go towards utilities and keeping the church open and maintained. It is like a big house and the church members pay the bills.

It doesn't make any sense to tax the money that would be used to pay your mortgage or utilities or maintenance cost.

And yet my money is taxed before I have to pay any of those things.  Why is it OK for them?  Seriously curious.

We have about 200 members at the church I attend. The church belongs to the members, any additions we do to it is paid for by the members. We recently purchased a small bus that was about $75,000 that is being paid for by the members. About 5 years ago we had a family life center built with classrooms, a large kitchen, which cost about a half million that is completely paid for by the members. The property taxes are paid for by the members. You see the pattern?

It is like a home that 200 people own. We all split the the bills. All the money we use to pay the bills has already been taxed just like the money that I pay my mortgage with. So you tell me, why should it all be taxed again?

It is not owned by any 1 person. If the church decides to donate to a cause or charity, such as a mission trip, missionary overseas, local school, college, family in need, then we take a special offering and the members give their money to the charity or cause. If my wife and I  wanted to give some cash to our friends down the street because they have fallen on hard times should that money be taxed?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a guy who hasn't attended church regularly in years...

Screw these godless, militant, commie, sonsofbitches and the unicorns they rode in on.
View Quote

I feel the same.

It's my personal opinion the high court is going to punt on this issue.
When that happens and the mafia get's set back I wonder what the reaction will be?
I can say I think if the ruling goes in the other direction and churches and their members are forced to endure the degenerate shit there will be a STRONG pushback that some that are so insistent on this might not be anticipating.
Caveat Emptor.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I see no reason for any church to be tax exempt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How about their obedience and faith to their religion, their teachings, and their God, without which none of which they accomplished would exist.

The Pallottine Missionary Sisters who founded a number of schools and hospitals  (my favorite being St. Mary's of Hunting WV, since the doctors and nurses saved my life last year) here in WV. The Sisters, who believed their lives were twice spared by God in their travel from German to the US, once when the travel documents of one of the sisters got them bumped from the Titanic, and the next time when they delay their scheduled trip aboard the ill fated Stella Niagara (crashed on the way to NY and many passengers were killed)  while waiting for Mother Superior of the Franciscans (whom they had been staying with and whom were teaching them English).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick.

So... church members can't obey God unless government is involved in marriage licensing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

It'll just speed up the inevitable. We're on a crash course, the only question is how long the road is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would you rather that money go to the .gov or to the charitable causes that churches typically support?

I'd bet your rebuttal will be some crap about mega churches and joel olsteen mansions, completely dismissing how the billions that are about to be stolen from christian charitable causes and pissed away into .gov coffers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

Would you rather that money go to the .gov or to the charitable causes that churches typically support?

I'd bet your rebuttal will be some crap about mega churches and joel olsteen mansions, completely dismissing how the billions that are about to be stolen from christian charitable causes and pissed away into .gov coffers.

Well, for one, I'd rather that money didn't go towards enabling the Vatican to hoard countless pieces of priceless art, luxury goods, and golden shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, if the donation is to the church, then hell yeah.

OTOH if the donation is to the Heller Foundation to suppot Nolo's case against the government cuz we want cheap machine gunz, then it's gimme my deduction dammit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So gifts and charities should be taxed?

Has arfcom gone full retard.

OTOH if the donation is to the Heller Foundation to suppot Nolo's case against the government cuz we want cheap machine gunz, then it's gimme my deduction dammit!

There is no donation to the church, the members are the church.

If the members/church decide to donate to the Heller Foundation it is a donation/charity and should be treated as such.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
So ARFCOM believes that no charity should be tax exempt, or are we just picking on religion?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

At the church I attend tithes go towards utilities and keeping the church open and maintained. It is like a big house and the church members pay the bills.

It doesn't make any sense to tax the money that would be used to pay your mortgage or utilities or maintenance cost.

Ironically their donations come from their donors post taxation earning as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Charity like handing out bibles to earthquake victims instead of food/medicine/other usable aid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

Charity like handing out bibles to earthquake victims instead of food/medicine/other usable aid?

Here we go. Unfounded accusations based on limited experience. Cause that's all churches do anyway is shake their finger when someone's in need.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Government should not be in the marriage business.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
in for the meltdown

View Quote

In for the equivocating denials.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with churches losing tax-exempt status.

Why should they have it in the first fucking place?

I agree. Though all churches should lose tax exempt status not just ones who disagree with the government.

Yes because Jesus doesn't like Mah drinking, whoring, doping, and other stuff so WHAAAAAAHHH!

There are people who hate religion and churches so much they would burn a whole town just to destroy a church.

I am not a fan of the Catholic Church or the Pope, but even I have always know there were good people who actually believe in the tenants of the Church and tried to lived them in their missionary endeavors. Same for Franklin Graham's (I am not fond of him or his father) Samaritan's Purse.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell us...what taxes do you think a church does not pay.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#22]
If we had more clear lines of true separation of church and state this wouldn't be an issue.

You shouldn't get a tax deduction/credit/whatever for being married or having kids, taxation should not be used to try and reward or suppress social behavior. Let the churches handle marriage, and if for some reason your relationship status is relevant to taxation, have a "these two people hitched their wagons together and agreed to split all their shit" license available at the court house, that will be handed out regardless of what your sexual persuasion is.

On the flip side, churches should be able to approve or deny any marriage they want. If the church won't perform a ceremony between you and your whatever you're marrying, start your own damn religion and perform the ceremony yourself. If L. Ron Hubbard could make up bull shit and rope in rich people, you can too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, clergy don't pay Social Security. But I'm not certain on that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Though all churches should lose tax exempt status not just ones who disagree with the government.

No, churches can do like the rest of America and start a charitable organization that isn't taxed to do their charitable work. Then they still pay taxes on their ministry, salaries, buildings, business/commerical interests, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"but but muh feels!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"but but muh feels!"

Oh look...another neo-libertarian [leftest] with a Somali flag.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If we had more clear lines of true separation of church and state this wouldn't be an issue.

You shouldn't get a tax deduction/credit/whatever for being married or having kids, taxation should not be used to try and reward or suppress social behavior. Let the churches handle marriage, and if for some reason your relationship status is relevant to taxation, have a "these two people hitched their wagons together and agreed to split all their shit" license available at the court house, that will be handed out regardless of what your sexual persuasion is.

On the flip side, churches should be able to approve or deny any marriage they want. If the church won't perform a ceremony between you and your whatever you're marrying, start your own damn religion and perform the ceremony yourself. If L. Ron Hubbard could make up bull shit and rope in rich people, you can too.
View Quote

agreed

but that ship sailed long ago, so we're stuck with the government in marriage.    As another poster said, I don't see it changing w/o a revolution at this point.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

agreed

but that ship sailed long ago, so we're stuck with the government in marriage.    As another poster said, I don't see it changing w/o a revolution at this point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed

No doubt. I said it a few posts earlier, we're on a crash course. The only question is how long the road is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd love to see Churches lose their tax exempt status for one reason, and one reason only:  From my understanding to maintain it they can't be political, like endorsing candidates, for risk of losing it.  It's been a tool to keep them quiet on things for a long time.  I don't think any rational person can deny the left doesn't want to see traditional churches destroyed or at the very least morphed into something that is different than what they are, so this might give them freedom to finally speak up.  Unfortunately, they have generally been silent when they should speak up.  I'm disappointed this is the reality, that many Churches won't defend their beliefs for risk of paying taxes but it is what it is and I'd love to see them unleashed.

Of course I could be wrong in my thoughts here, they are merely my ignorant opinion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In on 1.

The church-hater portion of GD would rather bankrupt the country than see a church with a non profit exemption.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, churches can do like the rest of America and start a charitable organization that isn't taxed to do their charitable work. Then they still pay taxes on their ministry, salaries, buildings, business/commerical interests, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give up.

I'm out of this thread.

Arfcom is full retard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I have seen lately....YES.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As a polytheistic pagan animist (non-practicing and mostly agnostic atheist) who goes to church once in a while because his kid sings in their really very good classical choir.....

Screw those god bothering, tax exempt sonsofbitches and the Creflo Dollar brand 65 million dollar private jet they flew in on.  If god earns a buck he should pay taxes on it like I do.

Take the king's shilling. Do the king's bidding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw these godless, militant, commie, sonsofbitches and the unicorns they rode in on.

As a polytheistic pagan animist (non-practicing and mostly agnostic atheist) who goes to church once in a while because his kid sings in their really very good classical choir.....

Screw those god bothering, tax exempt sonsofbitches and the Creflo Dollar brand 65 million dollar private jet they flew in on.  If god earns a buck he should pay taxes on it like I do.

Your asinine lumping of all organized religion in with the televangelist scammers is beyond pathetic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, clergy don't pay Social Security. But I'm not certain on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...wrong....Clergy for the most part are considered self-employed.....so guess what?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WE DO PAY TAXES ON THESE THINGS
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I give up.

I'm out of this thread.

Arfcom is full retard.
View Quote

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! My pet interest doesn't get subsidies!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaa!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

WE DO PAY TAXES ON THESE THINGS
View Quote

Not in all places.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Your asinine lumping of all organized religion in with the televangelist scammers is beyond pathetic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truly.

Perhaps they would be a real success if they started a punk rock band and just called themselves the Godless Millenials.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lol...wrong....Clergy for the most part are considered self-employed.....so guess what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I didn't realize that, my experience with it comes from the Catholic Church, I was under the impression that priests would be considered employees of the Vatican, not self-employed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In on 1.

Because that happens.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of gibberish are you jabbering? Many churches are in fact charities who do a lot of good to help their communities. In fact, I'd like to see the over-reaching government get the hell out of stealing people's money at gunpoint to give to the leeches, and get it back to the local parishioners giving FREELY of their gain to help those they choose to help, through their local churches. You'd THINK that the supposedly FREEDOM-LOVING Arfcom membership would want the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Churches should lose their tax exempt status.  They were given it with the understanding that those funds would goto the poor.  That hasn't worked out as expected, just look at the mega churches and the large houses of worship.  Tax them all and let them write their actual charity off on their taxes.  If there isn't sufficient interest to keep a church open with this new tax burden then let's start shutting them down and selling off the real estate.  This protected status should have ended a long long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Churches should lose their tax exempt status.  They were given it with the understanding that those funds would goto the poor.  That hasn't worked out as expected, just look at the mega churches and the large houses of worship.  Tax them all and let them write their actual charity off on their taxes.  If there isn't sufficient interest to keep a church open with this new tax burden then let's start shutting them down and selling off the real estate.  This protected status should have ended a long long time ago.
View Quote

The tax exempt status was given to keep churches from talking about political subjects.

The fact that you support the .gov seizing land/property from churches is troubling to me, and I'm not a believer.

But you also support minimum wage laws, so I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In on 1.

View Quote

Most charities are tax exempt. If you consider a large portion of the "extra money" that churches receive (after they pay staff) is spent on charity events (just like other charities), why should it NOT be tax exempt?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who gets to draw the line between televangelist scammer scum and an honest and humble man of god?  You? Me? A Commission on the Determination of Godly Tax Exempt Status?

How finely do you want to split the hair?  How long shall be the tax code section that defines how much god you need to have to get a tax break and at what point you stop doing god's work and are just Jim and Tammy Fae Bakering your way into a theme park?

Fuck 'em all the same or fuck none of 'em I say.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wait 'til the mosques realize it applies to them as well that should be entertaining.  

View Quote

Wait until it doesn't apply to them....
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ok I didn't realize that, my experience with it comes from the Catholic Church, I was under the impression that priests would be considered employees of the Vatican, not self-employed.
View Quote

Evidently your experience does not come from the Catholic Church.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cleric: What do you mean I can't write off ammonium nitrate and diesel! It was for Jihad!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And self employed pay taxes at a higher rate that the average employee.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top