Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2015 10:08:30 PM EDT
A Jap war rifle. Looks like an end of war type.
A friend said his son brought this home over 40 years ago as a project.
His son passed last year and he was cleaning out "stuff" that triggered memories.
Parents should never have to bury their kids...

Its rusty and I can't get the bolt open. So, in to a bucket of oil it goes...

I was able to get the bolt open. I had one of these as a teenager and seemed to remember something about the knob on the back being a safety. I poked and prodded and pushed and pulled. It turns out the safety was on. Bore looks good for what its been through. I may even trick my neighbor into shooting it... I cleaned a little of the goop off the receiver. It doesn't look like the mum was ground. It has years of crud built up. Is this one stamp a maker's mark?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the chrysanthemum intact? Please say yes..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
May I ask how much you paid?

Nice piece. Hopefully it cleans up for you.

Love the older stuff. (Got my first muzzleloader a month ago)
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]

If it is intact, it is worth far more that if it isn't.

The Japanese "demilled" their rifles by grinding the chrysanthemum off; they didn't want the Imperial seal to fall into enemy hands.

... it is generally accepted by most historians that the imperial chrysanthemums were ground off the rifles on the orders from General Douglas MacArthur, the commander of occupation forces at that time.
View Quote

Attrib link

Well hush mah  mouf.

eta My Dad had an Arisaka bringback; I got some brass from Norma, and reloaded it... used British .303 bullets IIRC... It fired all 20 rounds I (lightly) loaded for it and didn't damage it at all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the chrysanthemum intact? Please say yes..
View Quote

I don't think it ever had a mum. It was rough when new...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
May I ask how much you paid?

Nice piece. Hopefully it cleans up for you.

Love the older stuff. (Got my first muzzleloader a month ago)
View Quote

An elderly friend wanted it out of his house. It reminds him of his son who passed. Just the price of friendship over the last 25 years or so...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If the dad is a shooter at all, maybe the thing to do would be go thru that rifle and make it as like new as you can, and gift it back to him as a memory of his son..I would try......
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Type 99 "last ditch" I see.......very nice. She should have a chrome lined bore and if the bolt matches could make a good shooter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://i42.tinypic.com/35ixa4h.jpg

The Japanese "demilled" their rifles by grinding the chrysanthemum off; they didn't want the Imperial seal to fall into enemy hands.

Attrib link

Well hush mah  mouf.

eta My Dad had an Arisaka bringback; I got some brass from Norma, and reloaded it... used British .303 bullets IIRC... It fired all 20 rounds I (lightly) loaded for it and didn't damage it at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i42.tinypic.com/35ixa4h.jpg

... it is generally accepted by most historians that the imperial chrysanthemums were ground off the rifles on the orders from General Douglas MacArthur, the commander of occupation forces at that time.

Attrib link

Well hush mah  mouf.

There is no evidence to suggest MacArthur ordered that, and it generally falls down to "give a fuck."  The Japanese had a reason to give a fuck, but MacArthur didn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Anything with a mum to the Japanese was considered a representation or "property" of the Emperor so they took it upon themselves to remove/grind down the mum themselves.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
That is the best looking "last ditch" I have seen.

I am surprised there is still a cut out on the receiver for the dust cover. Most of those got shitcanned anyway.  They made a lot of noise.

Not sure I would shoot it.  I am  going by reading not actual experience.  The metallurgy was supposed to be iffy on those.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the dad is a shooter at all, maybe the thing to do would be go thru that rifle and make it as like new as you can, and gift it back to him as a memory of his son..I would try......
View Quote

No...dad gave it away for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Crude as they are, Arisakas are brutally strong actions, far stronger then 98 Mauser or 1914/1917 Enfields.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Does the bolt number match the rifle OP?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Rather than a bucket of oil, I'd do electrolysis instead.

Here's a before and after of a lathe chuck treated to electrolysis.

Before:

After:

Once cleaned up, I'd shoot that puppy.  Probably load some lead bullets for plinking.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle.  If you're into finding the date/lot of it etc it can be hard with the last ditch rifles, but it can be traced down.  

I'll go out on a limb and say the way it sits right now is pretty much exactly how it left the factory sometime in 44 or 45.

ETA:  I mean it's not "beat up", it was built with corners cut and with crude machining.  See how the stock is 2 pieces (where your cheek goes)?  That's typical of last ditch rifles and many were never issued or used before the end of the war.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, the action works. Now to dig up some ammo...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a damn nice last ditch rifle and the mums intact

Very nice op
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, the action works. Now to dig up some ammo...
View Quote

Like mentioned earlier, Norma makes (or made) brass for 7.7 Japanese that can be loaded with .303 bullets.  I have loaded and shot the same combo through my Type 99.  I forget what powder I used but it was in the Hornady reloading manual.

If it's a last ditch rifle I wouldn't shoot it but anything made before the writing was on the wall about the end of the Japanese empire I would shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top