Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 9:09:07 AM EDT
I bought one of these a few months ago.  Still working great.  My only complaint is that the speaker/sound quality isn't so good.  

$229.99 - $25 w/promo code VCOJAN25 - use a Visa card for that promo price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624007&cm_re=LED40YD1100UA-_-89-624-007-_-Product
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems awfully cheap for a TV.  I doubt you can get much cheaper
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
They will keep dropping in price as long as new higher resolutions, and tech come out.

It seems insane, but the actual components are pretty cheap to put these new ones together. They are thinner, and they use much less materials which is good for everyone.

Sound quality though is going to suffer, and getting an external unit is probably best.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Changhong

That name has quality written all over it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
On black friday, we got a 40" for $30. We bought a mini Ipad that had a $100 gift card. The store had a 40" for $120 plus tax. We used the gift card on the TV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
At that price in willing to take a chance. If you get 3 years out of it, I'd be ok with that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]
WTF is a Changhong?? I'm in the video presentation industry, been going to trade shows for 10 years or better.  Never heard of this "Changhong" brand.  Maybe a guy stealing parts off the Sony assembly line and assembling them in his garage?  
EDIT: Bought a Sony 40" a week before Christmas from Best Buy for $299  Yea, I'll gladly pay a little more for a quality name.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They will keep dropping in price as long as new higher resolutions, and tech come out.

It seems insane, but the actual components are pretty cheap to put these new ones together. They are thinner, and they use much less materials which is good for everyone.

Sound quality though is going to suffer, and getting an external unit is probably best.
View Quote

LOL true but all the new tech is a sucker game.  I bought a 65" HDTV at Christmas after seriously wanting a UHDTV.  So glad I didn't spend the extra.  Even at 65" I can't make out any pixels unless I get real close to the TV so at Couch distance standard HD is perfect.  3D TV's were a big flop.

But techs like 3D and UHD TV are making standard HDTV a real bargain!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Changhong

View Quote

I have a "Hisense" (a chinese domestic brand) TV.  50 inches, got it for 450 at costco.

The sound is OK, in some ways better than my stereo setup in a noisy environment.  The screen is BRIGHT like, the pictures is vivid like an old 80s soap opera. (You remember they used videotape not film for those, so they looked different on TV, the video quality on this thing is just like that difference.)

It's not a bad TV for what I paid for it, and I got used to the screen color so don't notice it much anymore.

The trick to a cheap TV is look for the inputs and outputs you need, and DO NOT get a Smart TV unless you are planning on using the hell out of one of those services. I NEVER used what was on my old dead Sony Smart TV. Use a computer for that, or could get a FireStick if I wanted it.

I say go for it.

ONLY ONE drawback, is you don't see display models often and you really should look at the screen to see if you can tolerate it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Changhong

View Quote

lol,

I suspect 230 bucks for a name brand 40 inch is about as low as LEDs will go until the next big TV revolution.

I paid ~350 for a 55" visio on black friday and couldnt be happier
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I paid $200 for a 50" LED on black friday.

ETA: It's an Element but the picture is amazing.  We will see how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WTF is a Changhong?? I'm in the video presentation industry, been going to trade shows for 10 years or better.  Never heard of this "Changhong" brand.  Maybe a guy stealing parts off the Sony assembly line and assembling them in his garage?  

EDIT: Bought a Sony 40" a week before Christmas from Best Buy for $299  Yea, I'll gladly pay a little more for a quality name.
View Quote

Changhong manufactures TVs for the other retail brands.  

Changhong is one of the largest (maybe largest?) TV manufacturers in China.  

A few years ago, Changhong manufactured 90% of the Chinese TVs exported to the USA.  

Every-body Chang Hong tonight!  

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I paid $200 for a 50" LED on black friday.  

ETA: It's an Element but the picture is amazing.  We will see how long it lasts.
View Quote

I have an element 32" lcd going on 4 years now. still works fine
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The cost will continue to go down.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Changhong

View Quote

Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody Changhong tonight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Walmart is selling Samsung 55" Ultra HD sets for around $1500.
I paid close to that for my mere 1080 set at Sams Club a few years back
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Once you Changhong you'll never go back!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I still have this super old vizio that works fine.

It's hard for me to spend money on TV tech.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still have this super old vizio that works fine.

It's hard for me to spend money on TV tech.
View Quote

I only upgraded because my old 50" DLP was starting to act up.  Though I fully expect UHD to catch on and become mainstream it still is really pointless unless you have a HUGE TV or sit really really close.

Enjoy the savings it brings on regular old HDTV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought a 40" Samsung smart LED for $400 Thanksgiving week.

Pretty much only use it to stream Netflix.  My gripe is that if you want to access any of the programs/apps that use the 'smart hub' you have to have the TV on for a good 5 minutes first.  Otherwise you get a "Preparing TV, please wait" message.

So you have to plan ahead if you want to watch Netflix.  Turn tv on first then maybe go make some popcorn.  Hopefully by the time you're ready to sit down and watch the damn thing will work.

A google search didn't yield much help other than it's kind of a bug in Samsungs programming having to do with not being logged into a Samsung account.  Apparently samsung wants you to set up an account for some reason...sure arfcom tinfoilers could come up with some reasons.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty much only use it to stream Netflix.  My gripe is that if you want to access any of the programs/apps that use the 'smart hub' you have to have the TV on for a good 5 minutes first.  Otherwise you get a "Preparing TV, please wait" message.

So you have to plan ahead if you want to watch Netflix.  Turn tv on first then maybe go make some popcorn.  Hopefully by the time you're ready to sit down and watch the damn thing will work.

A google search didn't yield much help other than it's kind of a bug in Samsungs programming having to do with not being logged into a Samsung account.  Apparently samsung wants you to set up an account for some reason...sure arfcom tinfoilers could come up with some reasons.
View Quote

Something isn't right.  I have a 65" Samsung Smart TV and can go to Netflix as soon as I turn it on.  I ditched wireless and ran an Ethernet cable to mine.  Too much interference on WiFi these days to be very useful.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two 40" tvs that I didn't pay more than $200 for

The first is a Sony I picked up three years ago during the excellent April TV clearance at Target. $198 OTD Still works great.

The second I got for my daughter for $115  before Thanksgiving this year at Walmart. It is a Westinghouse 1080p with 120 refresh. I went ahead and got the extended protection due to not being sold on Westie's durability.

So yeah, it is easy to get 40"s for less than 200 bucks and has been for years if you stay on your toes about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Something isn't right.  I have a 65" Samsung Smart TV and can go to Netflix as soon as I turn it on.  I ditched wireless and ran an Ethernet cable to mine.  Too much interference on WiFi these days to be very useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh mines got the same thing as JimEb... except I got mine almost 2 years ago and cost me almost $600 I just quit using it and only use my PS4 for everything. 100000000× easier to just fire up the PS4 and zoom through everything on the controller vs a TV remote

On a side note though OP, I couldn't recommend the Samsung enough. Gorgeous picture and is absolutely stunning. Plus if you or kids (if you've got them) ever get into gaming, I've yet to play on a TV that put out better graphics when paired with a PS4
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
In.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Changhong

View Quote

Oh yea totally.

I see so many people buying crap tv's like Westinghouse for uber cheap and bragging about it. Then get mad when it's broken within a years time.

I have a Sharp Aquos for my living room and a small 42" 3D Samsung in my bedroom. Those are usually the only two brands I'll buy lately.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Changhong

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top