Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:46:15 PM EDT
I was just watching some videos on the German MG34 and 42 GPMG's, and after looking at the 42, was wondering, has GPMG technology really advanced that much since the 42 came out?

That thing seems light, easy to manufacture, has a very quick change barrel, fires at a high rate, and amazingly after almost 60 years, seems to still be capable of holding its own with more modern designs.

I know the M60 ripped off some of the MG42's design features, and that the MG3 was used in Europe for years (it may still be in use).

Is the M240 and others that much better than the old 42?

Just curious as to what you guys think.  I'm not some 88er dumbass, nor was I ever in the military, I just love historical firearms, and was wondering what you guys thought.

Oh yes, gratuitous MG42 pic:

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The rate of fire was way too high for GPMG use, other than that it rocked. I think the PKM is the best ever made.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rate of fire was way too high for GPMG use, other than that it rocked. I think the PKM is the best ever made.
View Quote

If it used disintegraing links it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The newer 240L is quite nice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Lima is pretty good, and jumping it is almost bearable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
240 is great but so is the mk 48

If I was in a defense I would want a 240

Offensive mission give me a  mk48
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Mmmmhhhhhh. GPMG.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
if 8mm could still be bought at garage sale prices i'd have one
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah PKM is pretty dang good compared to the 240..  disintegrating belts isn't an issue ....

Nothing wrong with the 240 but if I had the choice PKM....

M60..no nope no way... hated that thing both the pig and the E3.

MG3 (MG42 in 7.62) still in widespread use.... it's still a good gun but has fallen been behind the others...after all it's still 70+ years old with no real updates...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
I will second this,

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I own an original C&R MG42 - have it currently set up as an MG3 clone in 308.  I love it.  Awesome gun, and amazingly reliable for a 70 year old weapon.  But while the stamped steel receiver is lighter than a 240, the MG42 is rather imbalanced.  Unlike an M60 or 240, you're not going to be able to fire it off the shoulder with any sort of accuracy due to the weight distribution and the RoF.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
The MG3 is a great GPMG, as is the MAG58.

The PKM would be my choice if I had to carry it around though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I have zero practical hands on experience with GPMG's…I just know they're cool.

Appreciate the insight from those that do.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I own an original C&R MG42 - have it currently set up as an MG3 clone in 308.  I love it.  Awesome gun, and amazingly reliable for a 70 year old weapon.  But while the stamped steel receiver is lighter than a 240, the MG42 is rather imbalanced.  Unlike an M60 or 240, you're not going to be able to fire it off the shoulder with any sort of accuracy due to the weight distribution and the RoF.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/nfa1919/mg42001a.jpg
View Quote

Dude.  Video.  Now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If I'm carrying it and it's ammo I'd want:

PKM
240B
MG3

If we're trucking it:

240B
MG3
PKM

The MG3 still eats ammo crazy fast, but it's fun to fire at least

The PK is just lighter and better on bipods, IMO than the 240
But the 240 is so damn reliable, that I'd rather have it, if I'm not carrying it.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a machine gunner, but it's integral to my job within a weapons company.

Quoted:

View Quote

You're not going to be able to fire any GPMG from the shoulder with any sort of accuracy, at least effectively with regards to the ability of a GPMG
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The M60 used the basic operating system of the FG42 which was copied from the Lewis gun
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have the knowledge or experience to say which is best, but I've lusted after an MG42 since I was a girl.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PKM
240B
MG3

If we're trucking it:

240B
MG3
PKM

But the 240 is so damn reliable, that I'd rather have it, if I'm not carrying it.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a machine gunner, but it's integral to my job within a weapons company.

You're not going to be able to fire any GPMG from the shoulder with any sort of accuracy, at least effectively with regards to the ability of a GPMG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PKM
240B
MG3

If we're trucking it:

240B
MG3
PKM

Quoted:

True, but some are much better than others.  Short bursts off an M60E4 aren't too bad.  I've shot my 42 from the shoulder and its all over the place, even with the shortest burst I could manage. Never shouldered a 240.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The MG3 is a great GPMG, as is the MAG58.

The PKM would be my choice if I had to carry it around though.
View Quote
That Pecheneg version looks pretty sweet.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
No experience with any of the others, but I loved my M240B
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the 240B. The 240L is nicer if your dismounted.
The next evolution is with the LSAT technology. It's coming in 7.62 in addition to the 5.56. I won't be there to test the 7.62 version though
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PKM
240B
MG3

If we're trucking it:

240B
MG3
PKM

View All Quotes
Quoted:

PKM
240B
MG3

If we're trucking it:

240B
MG3
PKM

Quoted:

I don't know about that. I'm pretty good off hand with my pig.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a movement to contact the lite weight of the Mk48 is nice, but for a SPF off of a tripod the M240 is hard to beat until you bound forward with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top