Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:07:12 AM EDT
I am wanting to build a SBR, but I can't afford the upper that I want at this time. Is it legal to just take a spare lower reciever (not mated to any upper) and buy a SBR stamp for it while it's incomplete?

If so...can the lower stay stripped until I am ready to build it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I am wanting to build a SBR, but I can't afford the upper that I want at this time. Is it legal to just take a spare lower reciever (not mated to any upper) and buy a SBR stamp for it while it's incomplete?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure, there is no reason you can't do this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the way how it should be done.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no timeline as to when you need to build it after approval.  Get your stamp, and then build the SBR at any point in the future.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to learn a lot more about NFA laws...

You CANNOT have the upper AND lower together until you have your stamp in-hand.  Register your lower receiver.  It can be stripped or complete, it does not matter.  You can go the pistol route to skirt the SBR for now, but that has its own can of worms that you need to research.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I would still fit it to an upper first and function test before sending the the application.  Just don't put a stock on it.  

It sucks when you get the stamp for a SBR lower only to find out it's out of spec when you go try assemble it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would still fit it to an upper first and function test before sending the the application.  Just don't put a stock on it.  

It sucks when you get the stamp for a SBR lower only to find out it's out of spec when you go try assemble it.
View Quote

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?

Here is some more sound advice. Make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you accuse others of being wrong so you don't look stupid.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good idea....thanks.

I forgot to mention, that I am in a hurry to get my stamps before I may have to move behind enemy lines. I need to take advantage of a gun friendly state before I relocate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

I forgot to mention, that I am in a hurry to get my stamps before I may have to move behind enemy lines. I need to take advantage of a gun friendly state before I relocate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

Just because you SBR a rifle in one state doesn't mean you can take it to any other state in that configuration, esp a ban state.

I suggest you do a lot more research on SBRs if you are planning on getting one. You obviously don't know much, if anything, on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here is some more sound advice. Make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you accuse others of being wrong so you don't look stupid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?

Legally speaking, if you are using a "Rifle" Lower that can be fitted with a stock, or a lower that has ever been built into a rifle configuration in the past, the act of attaching a short barreled upper to that lower is a violation of NFA and federal law.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just because you SBR a rifle in one state doesn't mean you can take it to any other state in that configuration, esp a ban state.

I suggest you do a lot more research on SBRs if you are planning on getting one. You obviously don't know much, if anything, on the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

I know more than you are giving me credit for. I know I can own an NFA rifle and move to a ban state....and store it inside of a safe deposit box. Were you aware of that?

I just didn't understand if a SBR lower had to be a complete rifle at all times or anything weird like that. I remember reading that during the AWB "grandfathering", your lower reciever had to be a complete rifle for it to count as a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I know more than you are giving me credit for. I know I can own an NFA rifle and take it to a ban state....and store it inside of a safe deposit box. Were you aware of that? :)

I just didn't understand if a SBR lower had to be a complete rifle at all times or anything weird like that. I remember reading that during the AWB "grandfathering", your lower reciever had to be a complete rifle for it to count as a pre-ban.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

I know more than you are giving me credit for. I know I can own an NFA rifle and take it to a ban state....and store it inside of a safe deposit box. Were you aware of that? :)

Unless importing the NFA firearm is itself a crime in that state.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

Good luck getting the ATF to approve a 5320.20 for you to take an SBR into a state that doesn't allow SBRs. Whoever told you that was wrong or you misunderstood.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

Safety deposit box?  Now I have heard it all.

You are confused.  You would have to leave the NFA weapon locked in a safety deposit box of your FORMER STATE, not the new ban state you moved to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Build it as a pistol first so you can verify function (and play with it until approved).  Then, when you get your stamp, take the pistol buffer tube off and install a carbine buffer tube and stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is giving me a headache..........
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, where are you moving to?  That may be easier for folks that know to help you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You are confused.  You would have to leave the NFA weapon locked in safety deposit box or your FORMER STATE, no the new ban state you moved to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

You are confused.  You would have to leave the NFA weapon locked in safety deposit box or your FORMER STATE, no the new ban state you moved to.

Right...that's where i was going with that. I did alot of reading into it about a year ago, and have forgotten a few specifics. It's not really a big deal to me if I have to leave it locked inside of a safe deposit box 3 or 4 states away for a few years....until I move back into a friendly state.

I want the stamp now, incase the NFA tax goes up during the next few years, or if I can't find a decent county to move to with a sheriff that will sign the paperwork. I don’t want to go the trust route.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, much derp, very herp.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, where are you moving to?  That may be easier for folks that know to help you.
View Quote

Illinois or Missouri. Either way, I'll at least be in Illinois for 6 months or so before I buy a new house.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine was a stripped lower for probably 4-5 years before I built it up- although after building it I wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

I will say I wish I'd put a full size upper and tested for function before sending my paperwork in, as my lower is out of spec.  A little love on a milling machine fixed it up, but if I had it to do over again it would be on a better quality, in-spec lower.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to notify the ATF anytime the firearm moves across state lines.  You might want to do more research.  I highly suggest sticking to AR pistols or rifles and avoiding SBRS and NFA regulations  based on your current knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#26]
When you think you know about NFA, go spend a year in the NFA forums.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mine was a stripped lower for probably 4-5 years before I built it up- although after building it I wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

I will say I wish I'd put a full size upper and tested for function before sending my paperwork in, as my lower is out of spec.  A little love on a milling machine fixed it up, but if I had it to do over again it would be on a better quality, in-spec lower.
View Quote

It's not just the cheap ones that can be out of spec.

I SBR stamped and engraved a stripped 7075 aluminum billet lower without function testing beforehand, only to find out the damn thing was out of spec after I got the stamp back.

I've put together several stripped lowers and never had one out of spec, but the first one I decided to SBR was out of spec.

Yeah, build it into a pistol first if you can.  Then you know the thing works before you go through the hoops and ladders.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You have to notify the ATF anytime the firearm moves across state lines.  You might want to do more research.  I highly suggest sticking to AR pistols or rifles and avoiding SBRS and NFA regulations  based on your current knowledge.
View Quote

I'm buying a suppressor first. SBR after...and I knew the part about notifying the ATF before moving. Don't worry....I could research this stuff for 6 months and still come up with stupid questions to ask.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm buying a suppressor first. SBR after...and I knew the part about notifying the ATF before moving. Don't worry....I could research this stuff for 6 months and still come up with stupid questions to ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will take that into consideration...thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't recommend SBRing a lower if you haven't shot it yet.  If you finish the stamp process and then find out its out of spec, you are screwed.  Go ahead and build it and run a few hundred rounds through it and make sure the lower works.  Just dont put a SBR upper on it until you have the stamp in hand and the receiver engraved.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Why don't you want to go with a trust?

Read the rules on pistol laws as well.

Not that it matters much, as far as I know most stripped lowers are marked as a "firearm" when buying, but if it is designated as a "rifle", it can't be a pistol.

No VFG's, bipods, hanging off the front. etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?

You might want to follow some of your own advice.  Simply removing a stock from an otherwise unregistered SBR does not make it legal.  It would need to be a pistol buffer tube.  Not a regular 4 or 6 position tube with the stock removed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

Ive never heard of such.  I have, however heard of keeping it in a safety deposit box in a SBR friendly state.  Can you please give a cite for this claim?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I had two lowers registered as SBRs and never even put the lower parts in them for probably five years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You might want to follow some of your own advice.  Simply removing a stock from an otherwise unregistered SBR does not make it legal.  It would need to be a pistol buffer tube.  Not a regular 4 or 6 position tube with the stock removed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?

Where did you see him say he was going to remove a stock from an otherwise unregistered SBR?   He did say spare lower in the OP, but that could easily be a stripped spare lower that has never been assembled into anything.

You can even put a mil-spec tube on it as long as you don't slip the stock over it and be legal...as long as the lower has never had a stock on it or ever was a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why don't you want to go with a trust?

Read the rules on pistol laws as well.

Not that it matters much, as far as I know most stripped lowers are marked as a "firearm" when buying, but if it is designated as a "rifle", it can't be a pistol.

No VFG's, bipods, hanging off the front. etc.
View Quote

I will go ahead and make it into a pistol first, and test the lower before I send out the SBR stamp paperwork.

It's probably silly, but I am a little worried about what might happen to NFA trusts if Nolo's legal case against the ATF goes down in flames.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

It literally takes less than 2 minutes to fill out the paperwork and costs $0.48-0.49 to mail it.

I've done it plenty of times. How's that make an SBR obsolete?

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where did you see him say he was going to remove a stock from an otherwise unregistered SBR?   He did say spare lower in the OP, but that could easily be a stripped spare lower that has never been assembled into anything.

You can even put a mil-spec tube on it as long as you don't slip the stock over it and be legal...as long as the lower has never had a stock on it or ever was a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, really sound advice
wait.. IS this GD?

This may be good for you to read over:  http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/09/01/florida-man-arrested-for-constructive-possession-of-an-sbr/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ive never heard of such.  I have, however heard of keeping it in a safety deposit box in a SBR friendly state.  Can you please give a cite for this claim?
View Quote

My memory failed me on that one. I mean't what you just said. My bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be good for you to read over:  http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/09/01/florida-man-arrested-for-constructive-possession-of-an-sbr/

Somebody selling a gun packaged with the items to make it an unregistered SBR is not the same as what the OP is planning.

OP can take a virgin stripped lower (or lower that has never had a stock installed and never existed as a rifle) put a mil-spec receiver extension on it and he's got a Pistol as long as the stock sitting in his closet is never slipped over the receiver extension and he never intends to do that until he has the SBR stamp for it.

Or he could use a specific pistol receiver extension if he wants to spend the extra money for one to have peace of mind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#43]
sig brace it while you wait
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#44]
To answer your question, OP.  Yes.

Hell, you don't ever have to put an upper on it if you don't want.  The lower is a registered SBR as soon as you get your stamp back, even if you never even put a LPK in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Somebody selling a gun packaged with the items to make it an unregistered SBR is not the same as what the OP is planning.

OP can take a virgin stripped lower (or lower that has never had a stock installed and never existed as a rifle) put a mil-spec receiver extension on it and he's got a Pistol as long as the stock sitting in his closet is never slipped over the receiver extension and he never intends to do that until he has the SBR stamp for it.

Or he could use a specific pistol receiver extension if he wants to spend the extra money for one to have peace of mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finally found the letter i was looking for.  I posted it below.  The letter basically says that you can install a mil spec tube but if you also have a stock then they might say you have an unregistered SBR.  Note the second to last sentence: "However, possessing a rifle buttstock that could readibly be installed on your pistol could constitute possession of a short-barreled rifle."  Technically you can put a milspec tube on the pistol but if you have a buttstock, they might still be able to come after you.  I'm willing to bet OP has a butt stock laying around his house.  Its just not worth it IMO, and I think advising new NFA owners to install a milspec tube on their pistol is pretty negligent when a pistol tube can be found for not much money and a hell of alot less risk.  I may be wrong, and IANAL, but i would never recommend that to anyone.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know more than you are giving me credit for. I know I can own an NFA rifle and move to a ban state....and store it inside of a safe deposit box. Were you aware of that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea....thanks.

As others have already indicated, you don't know enough about NFA laws, therefore I stand by my statement.

You're lucky an IQ test isn't required to get an NFA item.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I bought a nice, well known brand billet lower to sbr. It wouldn't drop Pmags. This was at the start of the panic when replacements were almost impossible to get.

Just check it out on any upper and try different mags before you send in your paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

or do the function test with a full sized upper...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I finally found the letter i was looking for.  I posted it below.  The letter basically says that you can install a mil spec tube but if you also have a stock then they might say you have an unregistered SBR.  Note the second to last sentence: "However, possessing a rifle buttstock that could readibly be installed on your pistol could constitute possession of a short-barreled rifle."  Technically you can put a milspec tube on the pistol but if you have a buttstock, they might still be able to come after you.  I'm willing to bet OP has a butt stock laying around his house.  Its just not worth it IMO, and I think advising new NFA owners to install a milspec tube on their pistol is pretty negligent when a pistol tube can be found for not much money and a hell of alot less risk.  I may be wrong, and IANAL, but i would never recommend that to anyone.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/schachtcc/28C97CF7-2C24-47A2-BE8A-87D77DF5B64A_zpsrhyuzywy.jpg
View Quote

Or you could put a pistol extension on the receiver, have a buttstock kit laying around and thereby have a stock that is readily installed.  Or have an extra rifle lower laying around near your pistol upper, for readily creating unregistered SBR.

But if you don't put those two pieces together and never intended to, then they're going to have a hard time proving intent because the intent is not there.

Could have, would have and should have don't carry much weight in regulatory language.  Only "shall" and "must" count.

Of course, take my free legal advice for what it's worth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top