Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:21 PM EDT
Our deer are just starting to drop. My local spots won't be ready till Feb 1. I can't wait to take my son. It will be hit first year to go. Anyone find anything yet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't been shed hunting yet, but my daughter and I went squirrel hunting this afternoon and found this big bastard here:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't been shed hunting yet, but my daughter and I went squirrel hunting this afternoon and found this big bastard here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/KOOLmike/20150119_160620_zpshxnu0jfu.jpg
View Quote

Nice! My dad and I search our property but have not been out yet. I found a 162 inch skull buried in a pond bank 2 years ago.  Cool you have your daughter our there. Mine is 5 and I asked her if she would shoot a deer. She said no. I asked why not. She said because she doesn't have a big gun. She will eventually.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Our deer don't really start dropping until around March. I actually saw a 140" buck dogging a doe yesterday. I usually don't do much shed hunting because I hunt an area that has low numbers and the bucks don't really come around until the rut and are gone by the time they start shedding. I hunt near a lot of public land that doesn't allow deer hunting and they go live there outside of the rut.

But, I'm going to sacrifice a little fishing time this year to do some shed hunting. I saw a deer on public land 2 days ago that I think is 220+ B&C and I'm going to try to find his sheds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dead head! That gets you on the board! Nice find. Clean it up, and get her back out to look for more sheds/ deads. Tell her she it a shed finding lucky charm, and call that head hers. She'll be proud of it, even though she didn't shoot it. I'd rather have a good shed, than a squirrel. I know you can't eat a shed bone, but that's just me. I can hang a bone on the wall, and remember the hunt and story for years to come.

Shed hunting is one of the best ways to get your kids out into the woods even when they are too young to hunt. Good going dad!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dead head! That gets you on the board! Nice find. Clean it up, and get her back out to look for more sheds/ deads. Tell her she it a shed finding lucky charm, and call that head hers. She'll be proud of it, even though she didn't shoot it. I'd rather have a good shed, than a squirrel. I know you can't eat a shed bone, but that's just me. I can hang a bone on the wall, and remember the hunt and story for years to come.

Shed hunting is one of the best ways to get your kids out into the woods even when they are too young to hunt. Good going dad!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, yeah, woods time with the kiddos rocks. My son is 13 now and seems more content to hang out with his buddies nowadays instead.

Right when we found that dead head, my cur dog treed a squirrel about 20 yards away. I was messing around twisting that head off the spine and by the time I got ready to knock the squirrel out to the dog, the dang thing ran into a hole in a hollow tree. So no squirrels, but we sure hit the jackpot on bone as that was by far the largest dead head we've ever found.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Won't see much from the elk for a month or 2 here unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
No collecting allowed till may. But hoping to find a couple to sheds if I'm lucky this season.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Sheds are out of season here.

Houses, barns, etc. are ok.

Picked up a bunch in the back yard. Damned Rats with Antlers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
full bone still on the head here as off yesterday on the bucks we saw.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't get to do too much horn hunting in downtown DC, but here's Dad's most recent haul. He goes out just about every chance he gets. It's not an unimpressive collection.

This is from last fall; I think it's still a bit too snowy to be horn hunting in WY right now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't get to do too much horn hunting in downtown DC, but here's Dad's most recent haul. He goes out just about every chance he gets. It's not an unimpressive collection.

This is from last fall; I think it's still a bit too snowy to be horn hunting in WY right now.

http://i.imgur.com/L69O9fQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mzK4s5M.jpg
View Quote

Holy Shed!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#13]
at legal seasons for shed hunting...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Awesome!

Was the sheep found dead or did he get it while hunting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

I'm not sure about Wy, but the ram doesn't look like a legal shooter. That's a good pile. Wy has the the best shed hunting in the nation. I really want to go their for a shed hunting trip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've worked out side in the woods for over 20 years, and I've never found one.

Infuriating
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh? Where did you see that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I found a really nice pair once.  The deer shed both at the same time.  It's a pretty big deal because there are not a lot of deer around here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about Wy, but the ram doesn't look like a legal shooter. That's a good pile. Wy has the the best shed hunting in the nation. I really want to go their for a shed hunting trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

It was found dead; apparently the result of a big rockslide. Called the local game warden to examine it on-site before moving it. There's a tag present somewhere on the skull. And yes, I'm pretty sure they need a full 3/4 curl on the horns before they are shooters- not applicable in this instance.

Edit: I also forgot to add that it was all found in about 2-3 months last fall. The whole collection actually takes up most of a 24' flatbed trailer, unfortunately I don't have any pics of that at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I inferred it from this:

No collecting allowed till may. But hoping to find a couple to sheds if I'm lucky this season

Of course, it could be a self imposed thing, not a law or regulation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I shed hunt, but usually don't go until the beginning of March.

Last year, I found a little spike about the size of my pinky finger.  I'm as proud of that as I am my bigger ones. Small ones are even harder to find.
View Quote

That would make a cool necklace. I might go out soon, there's a big buck I couldn't get a safe shot at during hunting season, would be cool to put his antler(s) on the wall anyway, and still be legal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There actually are seasons on it for public lands in a lot of places. I don't know of any where you can't do it 365 on private land, but I do know that a lot of BLM and Nat'l Forest lands are off limits at certain times of the year. They often give the Boy Scouts of America first dibs when the season does open; they find and sell the horns to generate operating funds for the year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There actually are seasons on it for public lands in a lot of places. I don't know of any where you can't do it 365 on private land, but I do know that a lot of BLM and Nat'l Forest lands are off limits at certain times of the year. They often give the Boy Scouts of America first dibs when the season does open; they find and sell the horns to generate operating funds for the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy Scouts get exclusive rights to collect sheds on the national wildlife refuge. Something like 12% of auctions totals goes to them and the rest to the refuge.

We're not allowed to collect from the national forest until May 1st here. Many people still go and poach them or hide them in bundles up in trees till the season begins.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Boy Scouts get exclusive rights to collect sheds on the national wildlife refuge. Something like 12% of auctions totals goes to them and the rest to the refuge.

We're not allowed to collect from the national forest until May 1st here. Many people still go and poach them or hide them in bundles up in trees till the season begins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen the shed season in Wy. That is messed up that people poach sheds.

Sheds and deads are unregulated in Ca.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice mass on that deer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it's still a little early here. I don't usually go out until late February or early March.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Infuriating
View Quote

Keep trying! They are out there. Someone has to find them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Infuriating
View Quote

Walk along a fence in an area deer frequent. When they are shedding and they go to jump the fence, the bounce will pop their antlers right off. I find a ton of them that way. Usually bigger ones too, the bigger the antler the easier they fall off due to the weight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Every cabinet top and the entire entertainment center in my house is covered in sheds my family has found in the last few years.  I have seen a few bucks drop antlers this year but it is still way too early to go looking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the biggest reason there is a "season" for shed hunting now, is that many folks would go out and harass the wildlife on their winter range, trying to get them to drop their sheds, and also a lot of roads, trails, and country gets torn up by people roaming the hills when things are still very wet. The time when the animals shed their horns is a critical time: They are running on the last of their winter fat reserves, and the new years spring forage hasn't came up yet. It's very easy to stress animals out while they are on their winter range. Results in stillborn fawns/calves, poor survival rates, etc...

I do a little bit of shed hunting sometimes.... best one I've found was one side of a pretty large moose, while deer and elk hunting a few years back. It's in my front room on top of our old piano.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top