Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:39:17 PM EDT
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/235014-5-year-old-missed-friends-birthday-party-parents-get-invoice/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Culture

When five-year-old Alex Nash was invited to a schoolmate’s birthday party at a local ski center, he was excited to attend. His father let the classmate’s mom know he’d attend. But on the morning of the party, his mother realized he was “double booked,” and he missed the party.

Now Alex’s parents have been invoiced by the birthday boy’s mom, Julie Lawrence, for failing to attend:

Alex’s mom, Tanya Walsh, tells The Mirror:

“Julie Lawrence and I weren’t friends, we didn’t talk to each other at school, but I felt bad about Alex not going to the party.”

“I searched for the party invite afterwards and I’m not sure we even had one.”

The party guests enjoyed “three toboggan runs, a snow-tube ride and a hot birthday meal with ice cream or jelly during the Christmas holidays.”

Lawrence confirmed Alex’s attendance with his dad Derek Nash, two days before the party, according to a Facebook chat between the parents obtained by The Mirror. The ski center required the final number of guests 48 hours before the party.

Nash sympathizes with Lawrence’s plight but not her methods:

“I can understand that she’s upset about losing money. The money isn’t the issue, it’s the way she went about trying to get the money from me.

“I told her she should have spoken to me first and not put the invoice in my son’s school bag.

“I would have sympathised with her about the cost of Alex not showing up, but I just can’t believe the way she has gone around it.”

Lawrence states that her contact information was on the invitation and they should have let her know Alex was choosing to spend the day with his grandparents instead of attending the party.

She claims Alex has no-showed other parties before and that “the amicable way round this I believe would be to pay me the money and let a lesson be learnt.”

The boys’ friendship has been a casualty of the dispute. According to Alex’s parents, the two children no longer play together at school.
View Quote

I do not sympathize with retard bitch... You couldn't afford to not have guests show up, maybe you shouldn't have booked that kind of party. As the dad, I'd drop off a $20 and tell her to keep the change... She obviously needed it more than I.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a whole lot of stupid.

I wouldn't want my kid around that person, anyway.

Did she have an RSVP with listed cancelation consequences? Did she have a PO or any other contract to purchase or attend? No? Fuck off crazy bitch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
wow
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I just threw my daughter a birthday party at an art place where the kids could paint. Two kids didn't show up. Total for the party was around $200. My wife was happy these two kids didn't show because she got to take home the projects the kids were supposed to do and she's going to do them with our daughter at a later date.

If I were that kids mother or father I'd tell that invoicing bitch to fuck off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Woman has other issues.  This is just a symptom.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're gonna miss you should call, even the day of, however if you got "invoiced" I'd return an envelope full of ashes.

I'm old, what kind of birthday ski party does the birthday boy parents pay for everyone?

Chuck E Cheese community pizza is one thing.
I went to a waterpark BD party as a kid, we all paid our own way in.
The mom provided cake.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
People who RSVP "yes" and then don't show for non emergency reasons are assholes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Her party, her rules?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
for $25.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
People never cease to amaze me.

But I do think someone should have called the hostess to explain that the kid had a better (or earlier?) offer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The family who said they would attend and didn't are cunts. I wouldn't send them an invoice though, I would just exclude their kid from anything in the future.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The family who said they would attend and didn't are cunts. I wouldn't send them an invoice though, I would just exclude their kid from anything in the future.
View Quote

I wouldn't invoice them, nor frankly, would I exclude their kid in the future.  No sense in punishing the kid, especially if it's a friend of your kid.

That said, "not realizing" you are double booked is selfish-assholish behavior.

It's an excuse and not an acceptable one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck no-shows.   Parties cost a lot of money to set up and time to prepare for. Money that's wasted in extra food, drinks, etc.  No-shows are inconsiderate selfish little assholes who don't think beyond themselves.    

Sending a bill is passive-aggressive bitchassedness, but being a no-show ranks worse.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Pay up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldn't invoice them, nor frankly, would I exclude their kid in the future.  No sense in punishing the kid, especially if it's a friend of your kid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree ... kids shouldn't be dragged into this kind of shit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
People who RSVP "yes" and then don't show for non emergency reasons are assholes.
View Quote

Kids are 5 years old. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The proper response to this is to send the invoice back with "FUCK YOU, SUCK MY COCK!" scrawled large enough to take up the whole invoice, landscape style.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If you wanted to get your guest to sign a contract then do it.  Don't pretend like you did.

Or get refundable deposits in case they don't show.

Or suck it up and cross them off in the future.

Don't be a d_____
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much.

An invoice is a special kind of crazy.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Between my kids seems we get a BD invite just about every weekend.  If we commit they go and if something comes up and can't follow through communication is in order.  Seems common courtesy is a less frequent commodity anymore.  Stupid on both sides of this one it seems.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I mean, I get that she is pissed she paid for the kid and they no showed. Yes a call would have been nice. But for her to then send an invoice? That's retarded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She claims Alex has no-showed other parties before and that “the amicable way round this I believe would be to pay me the money and let a lesson be learnt.”

Sounds to me like she doesn't learn from her mistakes and now she's pissed. Seems like expecting other people to pay for one's stupidity is so commonplace as to be acceptable now; even to the extent of issuing an invoice for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like some 'adults' have forgotten what is, and is not, appropriate conduct with regard to kids.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to ask for money at any point, ask up front.  That is the only acceptable way to expect payment from people.

But yes, it is a dick move to RSVP and then no show.  Invoice bitch just lowered herself to that level.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Stick a return invoice with "Fuck You, Cunt" in her kids backpack and send it home with him.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the adults 5 years old?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah but invoicing them isn't what Emily Post would deem an acceptable response.

I assume, as I'm too lazy to walk over to the library and check my copy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Between my kids seems we get a BD invite just about every weekend.  If we commit they go and if something comes up and can't follow through communication is in order.  Seems common courtesy is a less frequent commodity anymore.  Stupid on both sides of this one it seems.

View Quote

If you cancel, you do it far enough in advance where expenses are not incurred.  Or you try to.

When you have something on your calendar that you'd "rather" do, you should be aware of it at the time you induce someone else to incur expense to provide hospitality for you.

People are assholes.

Especially when they expect a pass for rude behavior and hide behind their kid as an excuse.

IMO.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah but invoicing them isn't what Emily Post would deem an acceptable response.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't aware that I made it an either or proposition.

There was no linkage in my statement to any other assertion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a 5 year old. Lots of shit going on. Lots of shit mom does i may not hear about. Lots of shit i do my wife does not hear about. Between the kid, 3 jobs jobs, kids school/extra curricular activities, a house, our social lives and our daughters social life there are lots of moving parts.  I have had several parents no show to parties we threw  and they were expected and visa versa. Not once have any of us ever been ill about it or even considered holding it against them.

Shit happens.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you cancel, you do it far enough in advance where expenses are not incurred.  Or you try to.

When you have something on your calendar that you'd "rather" do, you should be aware of it at the time you induce someone else to incur expense to provide hospitality for you.

People are assholes.

Especially when they expect a pass for rude behavior and hide behind their kid as an excuse.

IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are assholes.

IMO.

I think you take 5 year old birthday parties way to serious. This wasn't an invite to Vegas for the weekend all expenses paid. It was sledding with 5 year olds.

the appropriate response is don't invite them next time if you are so insulted they missed your 5 year old's birthday party.

Me personally? I put more care into my socks i put on in the morning than someone who RSVPed and didnt show to a 5 year olds birthday party.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#31]
There is a petty party going on in GD tonight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think you take 5 year old birthday parties way to serious. This wasn't an invite to Vegas for the weekend all expenses paid. It was sledding with 5 year olds.

the appropriate response is don't invite them next time if you are so insulted they missed your 5 year old's birthday party.
Me personally? I put more care into my socks than someone who RSVPed and didnt show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People are assholes.

IMO.

Me personally? I put more care into my socks than someone who RSVPed and didnt show.

I also have a 5 year old.  Shit also happens.  They get sick, etc.

My wife and I are professionals, our life sounds about like how you described yours.

My idea of manners and yours are just different, I guess.

Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Birthday mom sounds like a demented bitch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Imagine having the lady who sent the invoice... As your Mom.

Look... I feel bad for the kid she is raising...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know....How about just ice cream & cake at the B-Day kid's home. Why it would be a great time to introduce them to the joy of lawn darts and potato launchers.

I suspect letting them run around "free-range" for a couple hours under loose supervision would be a lot more fun for the kids than those "special snowflake" structured activities parents dream-up for them these days.

For the record "double booked" kid's parents were dicks for not letting the B-Day planner Mom know. B-Day Kid's Mom was a cunt for sending a invoice to the no-shows.

Jeez if that's the way the parents act how do you think their crotch fruit are going to turn out?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the proper response would be more scatological.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#37]
people flake,its a simple fact of life you plan for it and life goes on
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Quoted:
Pay up.

And this.  I don't have any kids(or plan on having any) BUT I went to a LOT of parties as a kid, have had some, and now I have a nephew about to turn 5 that is having a party at a "bounce house" that includes admission, pizza, cake, the whole works.

People pay in advance so other people's kids can attend.  Unfortunately, the birthday mom's going to have to eat the cost of the other kid not showing up.
Quoted:

And this once more.  

The kid can't understand why no-showing is wrong, so the parent needs to take the lead.

I know if it were my mother, I would have been at that party, because someone PAID for me to be there.

Why is this a difficult concept? Someone paid for the kid to be there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Did she have an RSVP with listed cancelation consequences? Did she have a PO or any other contract to purchase or attend? No? Fuck off crazy bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Exactly.  It sounds like the birthday boy's parents have something against actually talking to other parents.  

“I can understand that she’s upset about losing money. The money isn’t the issue, it’s the way she went about trying to get the money from me.

“I told her she should have spoken to me first and not put the invoice in my son’s school bag.

“I would have sympathised with her about the cost of Alex not showing up, but I just can’t believe the way she has gone around it.”

Quoted:

If I were that kids mother or father I'd tell that invoicing bitch to fuck off.

She pretty much did.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/let-lesson-learnt-angry-mum-5004545]
According to the Mirror, it sounds like she was originally going to try to make amends, but decided not to because of how the other parent handled it.

[slightly snipped]
Tanya: "If I had known that I would have to pay if Alex did not go, then I would have paid you the money, no problem. I do not like fighting with people, and would prefer to settle this amicably."
Julie: "I didn't mention the money when we spoke because it was a child's party, it doesn't matter if you have to pay per person or for a group if people agree to going. .... "This is not the first time Alex has not turned up to a party that he has been invited to, either. The amicable way round this I believe would be to pay me the money and let a lesson be learnt, I hope this is agreeable ?"
Tanya: "Alex was very excited to go to the party. I didn't know until the day about his nan and grandad, and he decided he would rather spend the day with them. Like I said before I didn't have your number to let you know. .... "And exactly what lesson would I be learning. I am not a child, so please do not speak to me like I am one. So, to answer your question, unfortunately no. This is not agreeable."

Tanya: "Maybe if you actually spoke to me rather than making your own mind up about what happened then none of this would be happening right now."

I doubt she'll pay now.  And since it costs 60 pounds to file a claim.... it'll be interesting to see if the other parent decides to spend even more money to get back less than 20 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#41]
The only thing more fucked up than the invoicing is the fact that it became a news story to begin with.

Someone called... likely the mom who was invoiced. Who fucking cares. Why are we dragging this everyday crap into a worldwide public spotlight?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you're gonna miss you should call, even the day of, however if you got "invoiced" I'd return an envelope full of ashes glitter.

I'm old, what kind of birthday ski party does the birthday boy parents pay for everyone?

Chuck E Cheese community pizza is one thing.
I went to a waterpark BD party as a kid, we all paid our own way in.
The mom provided cake
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top