Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:14:40 PM EDT
We have lost two people in the last year to colon cancer both 29 years old. If you get blood in your poop go to the Dr and get a colonoscopy. Don't wait. It saved my life at age 39.
I am talking to you. Blood in stool is a sign of polyps that if removed early will save your life.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Another reason to start getting colonoscopies early is a family history of colon or rectal cancer.  Not everyone who has dangerous polyps gets visible blood in their stool.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another reason to start getting colonoscopies early is a family history of colon or rectal cancer.  Not everyone who has dangerous polyps gets visible blood in their stool.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my first colonoscopy a few months ago, have to get them every 5 years now due to family history.

They knock you out cold, you don't remember a thing, just wake up farting like a mo-fo due the air they inject into the colon during the procedure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The average American has a 0.0437% chance of getting colon cancer per year.

and a .0159% chance of dieing from it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going with this and choose NOT to stick camera up my arse! Thank you!!

Local doc here performs 10 of these per day. I'm sure money is good but....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is really great news except for the people who get it. Getting screened is even better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Catching it early is easily treatable.

Catching it late is a death sentence.

Roll the dice, your life not mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh....you are asleep, it doesn't hurt and could save your life. TnSparky was my friend. I wish he hadn't died. I don't want you to die from this either. It takes about 2 hours. If you get blood in your poop get it done, or die...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend who just turned 50. She has stage 4 colon cancer. They did a re-section on her and also had to take out her ovaries from the spread of the cancer.

She is going through chemo now. I hope it works.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a colonoscopy last Friday.  They put you to sleep for about 45 minutes, you wake up, it's done.  No problem at all. A couple hours every 5 or 10 years.  The prep is a little nasty, but not that big a deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one two weeks ago.  No big deal.  My Dr.  Is also my shooting buddy.   So  I know that I am always taken care of.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

And those numbers make a 00.000% difference if you are the one who gets it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
A colonoscopy discovered why I was bleeding out internally.  I was within hours of dying from an AVM located in my colon that had ruptured and was leaking blood. A hemaglobin of under 4 and the doc couldn't believe I actually walked into the ER.  I spent 48 hours in the ICU getting blood transfusions (4 units) and multiple tests to see where all my blood was going.  Having the doc show me a picture of the AVM and telling me this is your problem was a HUGE relief!  The other possible diagnoses were NOT good.  This one is completely survivable with nothing more than awareness on my part and a colonoscopy every 3 years.  I have had to go back in twice for transfusions in the past 8 years, but never got nearly as critical as the first time.  

The hardest part of the whole procedure is the prep.  You have to 'cleanse' your colon so you will drink a magic mix that will flush you out.  The rest is done when you are asleep.  

BL- got poopy blood?  Get one.  Over 55? Get one.  Any family history of colon cancer? Get one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Read and heed people I have a friend in his 40's who has Colon cancer right now . He ignored the signs and sadly for him it is spread to his liver . He is on the highest dose chemotherapy you can get. He was told he will be dead inside of 5 years no matter what due to how far it has spread
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife died at age 41.

I don't have to say from what.

As a matter of fact, it was 32 years ago today. (19 January 1983)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell my mom.  She has surgery on Friday.  The month+ of chemo and radiation have been a real joy for her.  Not as much as pooping into a bag will be, however.  That's when the real joy begins!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Good friend of mine is going through it right now.  He did not get a colonostpy at 50 started having some stomach issues last spring after he turned 58 and thats when they found it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My step mom had surgery this past Wednesday to remove a golf-ball-sized tumor.
Blood in her stool was what sent her to the Doc in the first place (several weeks back).
They were able to get the tumor as well as small area of surrounding tissue that looked
'ominous'.  Were able to reattach colon and her recovery is expected
to be good.

Thanks for this PSA.  I can relate on a very personal level, man

She'll be 80 yrs. old this summer.  She's Texas tough, but this one had us all praying really,
really hard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Colon Cancer runs in both sides of my family.  I started colonoscopies when I was 40 I am now 60 and I am on the 3 yr plan.  This year i will get another one.   They will find polyps, they always do.   For the scarty cats out there, there are Virtual colonoscopies.  You have to do all the prep but if no polyps then you are good to go.  If there are polyps then you will need a rel colonoscopy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your choice to get one or not. Proudly proclaiming your choice to not get one, like it is logical or some badge of honor, is childish.

It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Well crap I might be a candidate lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well crap I might be a candidate lol.
View Quote

Go get a colonoscopy man, it doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my first one 3 yrs ago
They removed 3 precancerous polyps

I'm due for another

Prep was a bit of a hassle procedure was no BFD.

I was damn glad I got it done after they found the polyps.

I'm 55 btw with no family history of colon cancer.

Get it done.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]
They blasted me with Versed, Prophofol and ketamine.
Nighty night and no wake up hangover.  Wife took me out for breakfast and fun time when we got home!!!

I cant wait for my next one....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#26]
So what kind of blood should you looking for in the stool?

Fresh, red blood? (I always understood that to be external)

Or dark blood? (I always understood that to be the internal/issue kind)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So what kind of blood should you looking for in the stool?

Fresh, red blood? (I always understood that to be external)

Or dark blood? (I always understood that to be the internal/issue kind)
View Quote

Dark or bright, actually on the poop not dripping in the toilet. Dripping is hemorrhoids. If in doubt get the procedure. Talk to your doctor.

I actually went to dr for something else. He asked was anything else wrong. I told him I had blood in my stool. He asked how long. I told him about 3 or 4 months. Colonoscopy, 5 polyps, 1 big one causing bleeding. They removed while I was out. Now I go back every 3 years. Nothing new since. I'm 48 now. Dr told me I would have been dead at 50....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how I know you're not the friend I had lunch with Saturday. He has been fighting it for 3 years. I'm going to miss him if he loses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Not a bad point.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had bloody poo for about the last 6 years,  guess i'll set up an appt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it man.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
What does blood in your stool look like?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What does blood in your stool look like?
View Quote

Like blood on your poop.....I'm not sure how to say it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
like bloody dark read blobs and when you flush the water turns red, blood on toilet paper when you wipe.

its blood
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

As someone who has already lost a few feet of intestines to cancer I would seriously recommend that you go get that checked out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
like bloody dark read blobs and when you flush the water turns red, blood on toilet paper when you wipe.

its blood
View Quote

look for blood smears on poop...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm due for one this year, my Mom died from cancer and she had some of her intestine removed thirteen years before and did chemo too. Then four or five years ago they found a spot on her lung, she said she had lived long enough. I did my first one six years ago, need to schedule it soon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Had blood in my poop last year. Had a colonoscopy to check it out and found a cancerous tumor. I nearly canceled the appointment, but my wife talked me into keeping it. I'm 40. Had I waited until 50, I probably wouldn't have made it to 50.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I'm too young for this to apply.  I believe my problem is being an overly vigilant ass wiper and sometimes drinking too much. It's infrequent and never consistent and at the end.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think I'm too young for this to apply.  I believe my problem is being an overly vigilant ass wiper and sometimes drinking too much. It's infrequent and never consistent and at the end.
View Quote

2 men , both arfcommers, one my friend died in the last year at age 29 from colon cancer. It doesn't care how old you are, get it checked out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you aren't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Night shift bump
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm with OP.

Had my first one 3 years ago. Luckily nothing found. I'll be getting another next year. It's painless and out-patient. And it could very well save your life.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#44]
A friend of mine, and fellow ARFcommer recently died of colon cancer.

Fuck cancer with a cactus.  Get checked -- it's easy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I have scheduled an appointment myself, 33 y/o. Have had blood in my stool off and on for a couple years. Have mentioned it to my Mayo doctor in the past, who wasn't worried about it based on my description. This thread, along with my sister, have convinced me to insist having the procedure done. Sister is a surgeon in Dallas and received a call a couple days ago from the mother of a 34 year old husband and father of two whom she operated on last year informing her that he had passed. He went in with symptoms of appendicitis and when she operated on him, found that he had stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to his liver. It scared her enough to schedule her own colonoscopy despite not fitting the traditional parameters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#46]
29? Jebus that's scary.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I just had one done last Wednesday, 32 years-old. Oddly enough, no blood, but some pain for several hours after hitting the can.

Prep was not bad at all. 32oz of Ratorgade with half a small bottle of Miralax at 1700 day before procedure, then another 32oz with the rest of the Miralax 6 hours before procedure.  It's a little syrupy but doesn't taste bad. The not eating part does suck for 24 hours prior to the procedure.

One 8mm polyp clipped and some "decent internal hemmorhoids."  I think I am going to have to get them taken out. Doc said their facility is getting a new tool, and I believe it is a photocoagulation instrument. He told me they would do it for me at 0 cost...I said, "sign me up!"  Only problem is, they are not getting it until mid-February...gotta be in pain at least until then.

Normally, there is 0 pain or soreness after the scope is completed, but I have had some discomfort. Nurse said it was due to the scope's irritation of the hemi's...awesome!

Getting the procedure was nothing compared to the peace of mind it brings.

While I am at it, any of you folks had internal hemmi's that caused pain/soreness/dull ache?  Of course, I am playing Doogie Howser, Internet Dorktor, MD and everything I keep reading is is that most internal hemmi's have no pain but I have talked to folks who said they did have pain.  Just surveying as I know you all know it is nice to not be alone.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Soon-to-be-Ex caught it early, had 18" of her colon removed, 6 months of Chemo and has been cancer free for the past 7 years... GF's dad was diagnosed in June of 2013, had the surgery, chemo, and it spread, he died this past November.  Catching it EARLY is the key... Statistics dont mean fuck-all when your number is the one that goes BOING
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just had one done last Wednesday, 32 years-old. Oddly enough, no blood, but some pain for several hours after hitting the can.

Prep was not bad at all. 32oz of Ratorgade with half a small bottle of Miralax at 1700 day before procedure, then another 32oz with the rest of the Miralax 6 hours before procedure.  It's a little syrupy but doesn't taste bad. The not eating part does suck for 24 hours prior to the procedure.

One 8mm polyp clipped and some "decent internal hemmorhoids."  I think I am going to have to get them taken out. Doc said their facility is getting a new tool, and I believe it is a photocoagulation instrument. He told me they would do it for me at 0 cost...I said, "sign me up!"  Only problem is, they are not getting it until mid-February...gotta be in pain at least until then.

Normally, there is 0 pain or soreness after the scope is completed, but I have had some discomfort. Nurse said it was due to the scope's irritation of the hemi's...awesome!

Getting the procedure was nothing compared to the peace of mind it brings.

While I am at it, any of you folks had internal hemmi's that caused pain/soreness/dull ache? Of course, I am playing Doogie Howser, Internet Dorktor, MD and everything I keep reading is is that most internal hemmi's have no pain but I have talked to folks who said they did have pain.  Just surveying as I know you all know it is nice to not be alone.

Thanks.
View Quote

Yup, when they flare they're a PITA (Yeah, yeah i know..he who would pun would pick a Pocket   )  I had the photocoagulation done on mine and it worked for about 7-8 months had a little relapse, but nothing for the last year or so....  Im about due for my next Roswell so i guess ill find out if they came back or not then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top